2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

Old December 19th 04, 09:19 AM
Hatman

I have a 530i with sports suspension, sports seats etc and most of the
goodies. Bought it second hand 10 months old with 700 miles on the clock.

I cannot believe how the brand new price of both BMW and AUDI gets ramped up
by the addition of options which the trade seem to consider as 'minimum
standard requirements'. My 530i would have been £42,000 list with all the
options and at that price I would not have bought it (I paid £27,995, which
just goes to show how much these things depreciate, particularly the
options).

In Prague recently I got to drive the top of the range Skoda Superb, with
leather, sat nav, gloss wood, 19 inch alloys.

Given that I can buy this car in the UK for HALF the price of my BMW, I'd
have to think very seriously before buying either of the cars listed in this
thread.

I love my BMW (and I'd love a 6 series), but the pricing is for name and
prestige, not value.

Old December 19th 04, 09:23 AM
bk49

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
>> Seth Brundle wrote:
>> > I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.
>> > It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.

>> I'm not sold on the new 5 Series looks, but, I have to tell you, the nose

> on
>> that Audi is absolutely hideous. JMO/YMMV

> I have a 545 and although I wasn't completely enamored with it's looks it
> doesn't seem to matter to me anymore. I like the drive and performance and
> love the spartan interior. I don't really dislike the new nose of the A6,
> but if one does, but loves everything else about the car, I doubt the nose
> will be much of an issue a few months down the road.
>
> I just don't get excited about looks. Good or bad, they inevitably become
> unimportant if the car satisfies (or dissatisfies) in what I consider to
> be
> the more important areas.

With my BMW, I get the best of both worlds. I get excited everytime I look
at it and then i get to drive it.

How cool is that? ;-)

Jeff

Old December 19th 04, 02:15 PM
Dave LaCourse

Jeffmayner writes:

>With my BMW, I get the best of both worlds. I get excited everytime I look
>at it and then i get to drive it.
>
>How cool is that? ;-)

You don't know cool until you open your garage door each day and see and then
drive my RS6. d;o)

Old December 19th 04, 10:47 PM
Ramone Cila

"bk49" > wrote in message

> With my BMW, I get the best of both worlds. I get excited everytime I look
> at it and then i get to drive it.
>
> How cool is that? ;-)

I thought that would be the case with my e39's, whose exterior design I
liked a lot. I was taken the first time I laid eyes on one in person. But
after a few months the looks didn't matter at all. Today the e39 looks
downright dowdy to me, but I still love the car because it drives about as
good as any standard sedan I've ever been in with the exception of an e60
without Active Steering.

Old December 20th 04, 12:54 AM
LIW

"bk49" > wrote in message

> "Ramone Cila" > wrote in message

> >> I'm not sold on the new 5 Series looks, but, I have to tell you, the

nose
> > on
> >> that Audi is absolutely hideous. JMO/YMMV

> > I have a 545 and although I wasn't completely enamored with it's looks

it
> > doesn't seem to matter to me anymore. I like the drive and performance

and
> > love the spartan interior. I don't really dislike the new nose of the

A6,
> > but if one does, but loves everything else about the car, I doubt the

nose
> > will be much of an issue a few months down the road.
> >
> > I just don't get excited about looks. Good or bad, they inevitably

become
> > unimportant if the car satisfies (or dissatisfies) in what I consider to
> > be
> > the more important areas.

> With my BMW, I get the best of both worlds. I get excited everytime I look
> at it and then i get to drive it.
>
> How cool is that? ;-)
>
> Jeff

It's pretty cool. That's how I feel about my Audi S8, as well.
It has completely replaced my interest in any other German marque. It is
truly fabulous.

Old December 20th 04, 10:07 AM
Steve Grauman

>I cannot believe how the brand new price of both BMW and AUDI gets ramped up
>by the addition of options

Audi isn't nearly as bad as BMW. We test drove the X5 a few weeks ago before my
mother got her Touraeg. The car was nearly $50k USD and didn't include several
seemingly obvious options like power adjuastable lumbar. We would have needed
to add another couple thousand dollars worth of options just to get the
adjuastable lumbar as part of a larger pack. And they get like $48k for loaded
330's!
Steve Grauman
Old February 22nd 05, 03:32 PM
Lorne

With a Dinan 5 E39, and a "warmed up" S4, all I can say is take another look
at the Audi. You can play with the BMW, but you can get downright serious
with the Audi!!
....Lorne

2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 08:35 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 5 October 3rd 04 03:47 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:16 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:15 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM