1.8T Oil issue -- cost

Old September 7th 04, 08:12 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Libby > wrote:
>The cheapest approved oil is $12.75 per quart.

Strange, I just saw a bottle of Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 with the
VW 502.00 rating for US$4.59 per quart. Next to it were bottles
of Mobil 1 0W-40 with the VW 502.00 rating for US$4.99 per quart.
And some web stores (and VW dealers) sell Castrol Syntec 5W-40 with
the VW 502.00 rating (that VW dealers are supposed to use) for a
lot less than US$12.75 per quart.

Timothy J. Lee
Old September 7th 04, 09:43 PM
Peter Cressman

Libby wrote:
> Mike Smith > wrote in message >...
>
>>Why does the fact that the problem is being addressed *now* mean that
>>you shouldn't pay for it? Suppose the current oil requirements had been
>>in place when you bought the car. Would you have expected not to pay
>>for your oil changes then?

> The issue is that the *new* requirements were *not* in place when I
> bought the car. I *expected* to maintain the car as it was delivered
> to me by the manufacturer -- synthetic oils were not part of the
> maintenance standard at the time of purchase. I now have the first
> *additional* cost of changing over to synthetic -- $78 for the Passat,
> likely a bit more for the Audi -- plus additional costs for synthetic
> oil changes. The cheapest approved oil is $12.75 per quart. You've
> made up a scenario different than what's actually happening *now* --
> it would be silly to waste time discussing suppositions.
>
> Peter Cressman > wrote in message .rogers.com>...
>
>>Is this a new notice that VW recently issued?? Our New Beetle is a 1.8T
>>and I haven't gotten a notice from VW regarding synthetic oil...granted,
>>I've used Mobil 1 since the 8K service...but I'm just being nosy.

> The notices were sent in early August. FYI -- Mobil 1 0W-40 does not
> meet the new requirements. It meets VW505.00, not the new 505.01
> requirements.
>

> "Will" > wrote in message news:<OY9%c.321231$M95.75857@pd7tw1no>...
>
>>It's my understanding that synthetic oil doesn't need to be changed as
>>often.
>>When did the dealer tell you to come back for the next oil change?

> To meet warranty requirements, a qualified synthetic must be used and
> changed every at least every 5k miles or 6 mos. The notice states that
> failing to do so voids the engine warranty.

Well, from what I understand, the 505.01 is only applicable to the
TDI-PD, and NOT the other gasoline engines. I have the notice from VW
infront of me as I type this, and it only says that the 505.01 is
required for the TDI-PD.

Old September 7th 04, 10:50 PM
daytripper

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:58:51 -0400, "Woodchuck" >
wrote:

>Let's see at our shop the 1.8t oil change with regular oil is $35 and with
>VW's synthetic it's $50. The VW oil has a list price of $5 per quart so your
>dealer shouldn't be charging any more than that, if they are bring your own
>oil in or shop elsewhere. I bet most of us waste more money on beer each
>year.

lol
more like each month - if not each week ;-)
Old September 7th 04, 11:05 PM
Vikram Dighe

First, if you post the text of this notice from VW, that may be helpful, but
I do believe that much of the following information should still apply

Consider why synthetic oil is being recommended. Turbo-charged engines are
capable of producing much higher temperatures than naturally aspirated
engines, but is your driving style also conducive to higher engine
temperatures? If you are spending most of your time on the highway, it may
not be so important to use synthetic oil year-round.

Ask your dealership which oil they usually use. I have had my own Audi
dealer tell me that they use a regular motor oil for most oil changes,
unless synthetic oil is requested by the owner. This was on a 2000 Audi S4,
where the manual explicitly states that only synthetic oil should be used.

Does the use of synthetic oil also increase the interval between oil
changes? Remember, oil technically only needs to be changed when it is dirty
or begins to break down (loss of multi-viscosity property). This break-down
results in "sludginess", and also causes gum and varnish to form (hence the
darker color of "old" oil). Of course, color is not the best judge of when
to change motor oil either. I have found that the best test is to place a
single drop of the current oil on a flat paper towel or napkin, and see how
the oil spreads. This will show the content of the oil (dirt) and color.
Once you find a ballpark figure on how often you need to change your oil
now, you can usually use that each time. Never hurts to check it, of course.

Hope this helps. Also hope that none of this is wrong information. If it is,
please do correct it.

Old September 8th 04, 04:16 AM
Mike Smith

Libby wrote:

> The issue is that the *new* requirements were *not* in place when I
> bought the car. I *expected* to maintain the car as it was delivered
> to me by the manufacturer -- synthetic oils were not part of the
> maintenance standard at the time of purchase.

Did you seriously know that? Did you ask the dealer what kind of oil
was required? If you did know then that synth was required (as if I'd
ever put anything other than synth in a new car anyway), would you have
walked away?

--
Mike Smith
Old September 8th 04, 02:01 PM
Ronny

> wrote in message
> I have used synthetic oil in my cars since about 1985 or so. Having a
> turbo means no additional oil expense to me. I have to do 3.5 oil
> changes in the car and 1 oil change on the truck every year.

Lol , you driving a mclaren F1?

Old September 8th 04, 03:33 PM
Libby

sd > wrote in message >...
> So you've dropped more than 50 grand on two cars in three years and
> the problem is that the right oil costs significantly more? I must be
> missing something here ...
>
> sd

You are. My frustration is having to undertake the expense of
compensating for VW's manufacturing mistakes. The fact that I have
money doesn't mean I'm going to just hand it out to companies.

Libby
Old September 8th 04, 05:34 PM
Biz

"Libby" > wrote in message
om...
> sd > wrote in message

> > So you've dropped more than 50 grand on two cars in three years and
> > the problem is that the right oil costs significantly more? I must be
> > missing something here ...
> >
> > sd

> You are. My frustration is having to undertake the expense of
> compensating for VW's manufacturing mistakes. The fact that I have
> money doesn't mean I'm going to just hand it out to companies.
>
> Libby

easy solution, sell your cars and go find something else to whine about, as
long as its in another group. Anyone not gladly using sythetic oil in a
decent performing engine when its recommended/required by the manufacturer
is juat a fool.

Old September 8th 04, 06:18 PM
Will

Libby, I think the thing to consider, is that using dino oil, isn't going to
break your engines, esp. if you are always changing every 5000km. I
understand where your frustation with VW is comming from, but I would
suggest that this isn't some sort of manufacturing defect. It's just that VW
has decided that synthetic is better in the long run. This is something that
a lot of people have decided on thier own many years ago. Most of us woudn't
put dino oil in our new cars. Your Audi must almost be out of warranty, when
that happens you can put whatever oil you think would be best. Hell, you
could even put whatever you want to in now, and just hope nothing goes
wrong. Even if its unrelated, I would bet money they would blame it on the
oil. (BTW, thats a gamble I shoudn't even joke about. Getting screwed on a
warranty issue would be way more expensive, than the right oil)
If you still have a lot of anger directed at VW and dont want to pay them
for thier "mistake" then maybe you can take your cars to some minute lube
place that "protects warranties" and pay them instead, then at least VW wont
be collecting on the extra cost of synthetic.

om...

Crazy Car Alarm '99.5 A4 1.8T Dan Audi 8 September 2nd 04 01:17 PM
A4 1.8T buying advice please Jon E Audi 13 August 11th 04 10:46 AM
Dumb question regarding compression test on Audi a4 1.8t G Audi 5 June 23rd 04 06:47 PM
Preventative Water Pump Replacement on 1.8T Engine? Don Borowski Audi 3 June 14th 04 03:49 PM
A4 1.8T -2000 & MAF sensor J.P. Audi 0 May 20th 04 05:50 PM