'05 TT 3.2 strange brake "groan"

Old May 9th 05, 08:11 AM
+ Rob +

Default '05 TT 3.2 strange brake "groan"

Hi all,

Just recently my '05 TT started making a strange noise under very
specific conditions. When the outdoor air temperature is between roughly 32f
and 50f, the car illicits a strange "groaning" sound when I use the brakes
while in reverse. When the air temperature is either warmer or colder there
is no such noise. And the car otherwise drives normally.
I doubt it's anything serious. But, with the weather getting warmer, I'm
afraid that I won't be able to reproduce the issue when I bring the car into
the dealer next week. So might anyone here have any idea what might be
causing this "groan"? Or perhaps know of several things to look at regarding
it? I figure it will help with the diagnosis if I can tell the where it
might be coming from.

Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.

Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or
rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on the
keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed locked.
However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the car
does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are supposed
to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a bad door
sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I lock
the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a software
switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.

Rob
2005 TT 3.2 DSG
2002 A4 3.0Q

Old May 10th 05, 01:58 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 09 May 2005 07:11:20 GMT, "+ Rob +" >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
> Just recently my '05 TT started making a strange noise under very
>specific conditions. When the outdoor air temperature is between roughly 32f
>and 50f, the car illicits a strange "groaning" sound when I use the brakes
>while in reverse. When the air temperature is either warmer or colder there
>is no such noise. And the car otherwise drives normally.
> I doubt it's anything serious. But, with the weather getting warmer, I'm
>afraid that I won't be able to reproduce the issue when I bring the car into
>the dealer next week. So might anyone here have any idea what might be
>causing this "groan"? Or perhaps know of several things to look at regarding
>it? I figure it will help with the diagnosis if I can tell the where it
>might be coming from.
>
> Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.
>
> Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or
>rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on the
>keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed locked.
>However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the car
>does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are supposed
>to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a bad door
>sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I lock
>the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a software
>switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.
>
>Rob
>2005 TT 3.2 DSG
>2002 A4 3.0Q

The chirp can be twiddled, so it is possible you twiddled it off....
Old May 10th 05, 10:57 PM
Moley

"+ Rob +" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hi all,
>
> Just recently my '05 TT started making a strange noise under very
> specific conditions. When the outdoor air temperature is between roughly

32f
> and 50f, the car illicits a strange "groaning" sound when I use the brakes
> while in reverse. When the air temperature is either warmer or colder

there
> is no such noise. And the car otherwise drives normally.
> I doubt it's anything serious. But, with the weather getting warmer,

I'm
> afraid that I won't be able to reproduce the issue when I bring the car

into
> the dealer next week. So might anyone here have any idea what might be
> causing this "groan"? Or perhaps know of several things to look at

regarding
> it? I figure it will help with the diagnosis if I can tell the where it
> might be coming from.

Hi Rob,

This is a common problem with Audi brakes - I've had this effect on my TTs
(225 and 3.2) and A4s - always when reversing slowly. I think some people
have changed their disc pads to non Audi versions with some improvement.

> Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.
>
> Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or
> rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on the
> keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed locked.
> However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the car
> does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are

supposed
> to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a bad

door
> sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I lock
> the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a software
> switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.

This happened on my 225 TTC and to another friend with their TT. We found
that it would suddenly start working again - and then stop again. We tried
lots of combinations of unlocking/door opening to try and find the cause,
but to no avail. The software should not have changed (I had mine checked
via the VAGCOM interface and it was still enabled even though it wasn't
working). It may be worth getting it checked with your Audi dealer.

Moley
UK TTOC Member
http://www.ttoc.co.uk/
http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/

Old May 12th 05, 04:20 AM
+ Rob +

"Moley" > wrote in message
> "+ Rob +" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just recently my '05 TT started making a strange noise under very
> > specific conditions. When the outdoor air temperature is between roughly

> 32f
> > and 50f, the car illicits a strange "groaning" sound when I use the

brakes
> > while in reverse. When the air temperature is either warmer or colder

> there
> > is no such noise. And the car otherwise drives normally.
> > I doubt it's anything serious. But, with the weather getting warmer,

> I'm
> > afraid that I won't be able to reproduce the issue when I bring the car

> into
> > the dealer next week. So might anyone here have any idea what might be
> > causing this "groan"? Or perhaps know of several things to look at

> regarding
> > it? I figure it will help with the diagnosis if I can tell the where it
> > might be coming from.
> >

> Hi Rob,
>
> This is a common problem with Audi brakes - I've had this effect on my TTs
> (225 and 3.2) and A4s - always when reversing slowly. I think some people
> have changed their disc pads to non Audi versions with some improvement.
>

> > Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.
> >
> > Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or
> > rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on the
> > keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed

locked.
> > However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the

car
> > does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are

> supposed
> > to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a bad

> door
> > sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I

lock
> > the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a

software
> > switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.
> >

> This happened on my 225 TTC and to another friend with their TT. We found
> that it would suddenly start working again - and then stop again. We

tried
> lots of combinations of unlocking/door opening to try and find the cause,
> but to no avail. The software should not have changed (I had mine checked
> via the VAGCOM interface and it was still enabled even though it wasn't
> working). It may be worth getting it checked with your Audi dealer.

Thank you for the feedback Moley. It's comforting to know that both of
these issues are fairly "normal" and likely don't amount to anything more
than mere annoyances. I'll have the Audi techs take a look at them when I
bring the car in for its 10k mile service and go from there.
Thanks again.

Rob

Old May 12th 05, 07:08 PM
Moley

> > > Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.
> > >
> > > Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or
> > > rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on

the
> > > keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed

> locked.
> > > However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the

> car
> > > does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are

> > supposed
> > > to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a

bad
> > door
> > > sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I

> lock
> > > the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a

> software
> > > switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.
> > >

> > This happened on my 225 TTC and to another friend with their TT. We

found
> > that it would suddenly start working again - and then stop again. We

> tried
> > lots of combinations of unlocking/door opening to try and find the

cause,
> > but to no avail. The software should not have changed (I had mine

checked
> > via the VAGCOM interface and it was still enabled even though it wasn't
> > working). It may be worth getting it checked with your Audi dealer.

> Thank you for the feedback Moley. It's comforting to know that both of
> these issues are fairly "normal" and likely don't amount to anything more
> than mere annoyances. I'll have the Audi techs take a look at them when I
> bring the car in for its 10k mile service and go from there.
> Thanks again.
>
> Rob

Rob,

Sorry, ignore my answer to your second problem. I just realised it was the
auto lock feature that I this effect, not locking via the key fob - sorry.
However, did you realise that if you have the car locked from the inside
(when you're driving along) and then open the door using the double pull of
the handle, the alarm beep will not operate when you lock it via the key
fob? If you operate the key fob button a second time, it works.

Cheers.

Moley

Old May 12th 05, 10:28 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Moley" > wrote:

[Snipp

> > > This happened on my 225 TTC and to another friend with their TT.
> > > We found that it would suddenly start working again - and then
> > > stop again. We tried lots of combinations of unlocking/door
> > > opening to try and find the cause, but to no avail. The software
> > > should not have changed (I had mine checked via the VAGCOM
> > > interface and it was still enabled even though it wasn't working).
> > > It may be worth getting it checked with your Audi dealer.

[Snip]

> I just realised it was the auto lock feature that I this effect, not
> locking via the key fob - sorry.

Interesting! I've had that happen on my RS6. One day it works, then it
stops working. Checked with VAG-COM - it was still set to auto-lock, so
I turned it off and back on again to re-enable it.

> However, did you realise that if you have the car locked from the
> inside (when you're driving along) and then open the door using the
> double pull of the handle, the alarm beep will not operate when you
> lock it via the key fob? If you operate the key fob button a second
> time, it works.

Oh, never tried that - I always withdraw the key from the ignition
before I get out of the car.

strange brake problem Nadia Audi 9 March 2nd 05 08:38 PM
Simultaneous Application of Gas and Brake Pedals KaWallski Chrysler 0 January 29th 05 03:40 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 04:21 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? HerHusband VW water cooled 0 January 1st 05 03:08 AM
Car Brake Pads Installed Incorrectly eddy eagle General 0 August 11th 04 12:27 PM