GTL performance only so-so. What to change?

Old July 5th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jens Schumacher

Default GTL performance only so-so. What to change?

Hi all,
I just got GTL (late, but cheap :-)
My rig is a bit oldish already and I don't want to invest in a complete new unit
right now (house renovation first...)

Could you give me an idea what would be the bottleneck in my system?

I'm running an XP2600+ (non-oc) with an Rad 9600 something
ATM I'm on 1024x768, boiled down eye-candy and getting appr. 28-42 fps.
I will change to a 19" TFT very soon and then run GTL at 1280*1024

Any input?

TIA
Jens
Old July 6th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_1_]

"Jens Schumacher" > wrote in message
| Hi all,
| I just got GTL (late, but cheap :-)
| My rig is a bit oldish already and I don't want to invest in a complete
new unit
| right now (house renovation first...)
|
| Could you give me an idea what would be the bottleneck in my system?
|
| I'm running an XP2600+ (non-oc) with an Rad 9600 something
| ATM I'm on 1024x768, boiled down eye-candy and getting appr. 28-42 fps.
| I will change to a 19" TFT very soon and then run GTL at 1280*1024
|
| Any input?
|
| TIA
| Jens

The way I see it, GTR, GTL, rFactor, LFS, and NetKar Pro (to a lesser
extent) are heavily video-card dependent. My guess is that it's your video
card. Try getting even a 6800 GS (I know nothing about ATI cards, except
that a 9600 is rather old) and you'll notice the difference.

Alanb

Old July 6th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Sting32

Jens,

I have GTL, & if comparison is any help, I have a p4 system 2.4 ghz (400)
with pc3200 ddr ram (1 gig) with a decent 200 gig 7200 rpm (8meg cache)
harddrive, and a geforce *6600* GT 128 meg version (not the best by a long
shot) and I get near same rates as you that is UNTIL I do a offline
challenge with more than 7 or 8 cars. some of the downloaded tracks are bad
FPS hogs, couple of the originals bring me to 3 or 4 fps. seems the papy
converted tracks do pretty well by following the suggestions in the manual
page 30 (i bought early import version) "Maximising Game Performance" except
if I went below 1024 x 768 res, I think it was slower... Im saving for the
biggest cpu I can plug into this OLDER motherboard, (533 mhz fsb is best it
can do) and should be 3.2 ghz should help me some. I hear many got help by
adding more ram and ram built into vid cards... FYI, Im not buying another
vid card until my next system since AGP is technically dead now it seems...

best of luck

Old July 6th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Jens,

Looks like your video card is your primary bottleneck. As someone else
suggested, a 6800 GS would be a nice match for that system and would
give you a significant boost in performance over your 9600 (I have a
XP2500+ and recently upgraded from 9600 to 6800 GS). If you want to go
with ATI instead of Nvidia, I'm thinking a X800 GTO would be another
good choice. Also, if you are running with less than 1gb of ram, you
will want to have at least that much to avoid stutters.

You didn't mention if you were running GTL in DX7, DX8 or DX9 mode.
With your 9600, you will want to stick with DX7 or DX8 (DX8 looks much
nicer!). I am now able to run in DX9 with my 6800 GS (wich is unlocked
and overclocked to > 6800 GT specs). I usually run offline with about
15-17 AI cars, and framerates are fine on all of the standard tracks.
A few of the add-on/converted tracks could use a bit of optimization
though...

-CK

Old July 8th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jens Schumacher

Hi,

On 6 Jul 2006 07:37:53 -0700, wrote:

>Jens,
>
>Looks like your video card is your primary bottleneck. As someone else
>suggested, a 6800 GS would be a nice match for that system and would

Will consider that...

>give you a significant boost in performance over your 9600 (I have a
>XP2500+ and recently upgraded from 9600 to 6800 GS). If you want to go
>with ATI instead of Nvidia, I'm thinking a X800 GTO would be another
>good choice. Also, if you are running with less than 1gb of ram, you
>will want to have at least that much to avoid stutters.

Need to check whether I got 512 or 1G. Don't remember how much I installed those
days. I don't have problems with stutter though.

>You didn't mention if you were running GTL in DX7, DX8 or DX9 mode.

I run DirectX9. Haven't tried the other optins yet.

>With your 9600, you will want to stick with DX7 or DX8 (DX8 looks much
>nicer!). I am now able to run in DX9 with my 6800 GS (wich is unlocked
>and overclocked to > 6800 GT specs). I usually run offline with about
>15-17 AI cars, and framerates are fine on all of the standard tracks.
>A few of the add-on/converted tracks could use a bit of optimization
>though...

Sounds good.
I now know what to focus on, thanks to all of you.

Jens

Oil change on 1996 Audi A6 - V6 2.6 litre engine (UK) Mark Audi 20 December 18th 05 02:28 PM
1st Oil Change Dave L Honda 4 November 5th 05 10:29 PM
A3 change metric/imperial Nick Audi 4 September 14th 05 08:20 AM
Used 330i with Performance Package vs. Sport Package GRL BMW 9 November 21st 04 09:22 PM
THIS ADD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE jaman General 0 May 30th 04 07:05 PM