Oil filler cap line

Old June 22nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Oil filler cap line

On the tube leading into the engine there is a approx 3/4 " rubber hose
located below the oil filler cap. This line does not connect to
anything, just dead ends to the atmosphere. Is this right or is it
supposed to be connected to something? I looked around, could find no
oblivious place to connect it. 96 Explorer, 4.0 ovh engine.
TIA,
Jack
Old June 24th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I believe it goes into the exhaust manifold judging from these pics,
although these pics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-F...ayphotohosting

Old June 24th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I was trying to say although those pics are for a 99 Explorer, it
should be similiar to a 96.

Old June 24th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Unfortunately, these pics just show the hose dead- ending as well. I
think it has something to do with the PCV system.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-F...spagenameZWDVW

Old June 24th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

This would be the fresh air supply for the crankcase (a part of the PCV
system). The tube should connect to a nipple located somewhere along the
(large) air cleaner tube - between the air filter and the throttle body.
Probably not such a big deal, because the PCV system has very low air flow,
but if the oil filler is open to the atmosphere, it's sucking some dust into
the cranckcase.
If you can't find a nipple (or hear a hiss from a hole), someone might have
replaced the the air cleaner tube, perhaps to fit a non-OEM air filter case.

Old June 25th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Happy Traveler wrote:
> This would be the fresh air supply for the crankcase (a part of the PCV
> system). The tube should connect to a nipple located somewhere along the
> (large) air cleaner tube - between the air filter and the throttle body.
> Probably not such a big deal, because the PCV system has very low air flow,
> but if the oil filler is open to the atmosphere, it's sucking some dust into
> the cranckcase.
> If you can't find a nipple (or hear a hiss from a hole), someone might have
> replaced the the air cleaner tube, perhaps to fit a non-OEM air filter case.
>
> "jrchilds" > wrote in message
>> On the tube leading into the engine there is a approx 3/4 " rubber hose
>> located below the oil filler cap. This line does not connect to
>> anything, just dead ends to the atmosphere. Is this right or is it
>> supposed to be connected to something? I looked around, could find no
>> oblivious place to connect it. 96 Explorer, 4.0 ovh engine.
>> TIA,
>> Jack

That was it, just plugged it back in. The hose was pointing straight
down, threw me off. Thanks!
Jack

Fuel line replacement in the tunnel. Remco VW air cooled 4 January 6th 06 02:54 AM
Orange Line Busway - Another SNAFU in the Making Scott en Aztlán Driving 132 December 10th 05 06:37 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
No EGR yet I have an EGR vacuum line sw Ford Explorer 6 June 7th 05 03:42 AM
Line 2 bug with T610 and BMW Bluetooth Nicholas F Hodder BMW 7 March 27th 05 01:15 PM