170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

Old December 11th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

:

>> In article >,
>> XS11E > wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, your calculations are BS as I suppose you know? <g>

>> To an extent, ALL numbers are BS.

>Leon's in particular. Review his formula for finding horsepower and
>then think what would happen if the final drive ratio was changed.
>There'd be no change in the mass of the car, no change in the
>horsepower

Wrong. The *average* horsepower actually produced by the car *would*
change. You are confused with the manufacturer's number which is
*peak* horsepower, and only available with a CVT.

> and, of course, no change in Leon's constant of 0.217 but

Correct. The formula is exact (for average horsepower as above) except
for minor effects due to the rotating part of the wheel rotation
and air resistance. 0.217 does not change.

>the 0-60 time would change.

As it should, to reflect the different truly available horsepower.

>I think possible "Leon's Constant" may not be as valuable to science as
>is Planck's Constant but what can you expect from a student at a school
>that can't even beat Virginia? or NC State? or Florida? <GD&R>

Agree, clearly we spend too much time and effort doing science instead
of football.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 23rd 05, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I started reading your PhD thesis, "Unsteady Boundary Layer
Separation", which is on your website. Just an off-the-wall guess from
a B.S., is this topic possibly related to "cavitation munitions"?
Eventually I'll get to the other one, "Fundamental Quantum Mechanics
for Engineers".

Guten Tag,
Googleheimlich

Old December 28th 05, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Googleheimlich: (2) Photons do not "drag".

Leon: "What do you think of solar sails?"

Leon,
To the extent that I understand this concept, it is applicable to
SPACECRAFTS. Is your Miata that hot that it takes off into outer
space?

-- Googleheimlich

Old December 28th 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

wrote in
oups.com:

>> Googleheimlich: (2) Photons do not "drag".
>>
>> Leon: "What do you think of solar sails?"
>>
>> Leon,
>> To the extent that I understand this concept, it is applicable to
>> SPACECRAFTS. Is your Miata that hot that it takes off into outer
>> space?

Either Miatas take off into outer space or photons land here.
For white Miatas, I would think the former.

>Isn't yours? Maybe new plugs and wires would help? ;-)

If you have a black Miata, you may need to try driving when it
is dark. Watch out for that pesky moon.

Old December 29th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Mine is a '90 with 165,000 miles. I've also got a new 2005 RX-8, so I
just use the Miata as a second car. The RX-8 is light years faster
than the Miata, and I haven't even installed the turbo kit yet. Is
this photons too?

> "Either Miatas take off into outer space or photons land here."
> "For white Miatas, I would think the former."

I'd _pay_ for a picture of this with a white Miata, blasting off into
outer space, just like the space shuttle lifting off at Cape Canaveral.

Old December 29th 05, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Googleheimlich" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Mine is a '90 with 165,000 miles. I've also got a new 2005 RX-8,
> so I just use the Miata as a second car. The RX-8 is light years
> faster than the Miata, and I haven't even installed the turbo kit
> yet. Is this photons too?
>
>> "Either Miatas take off into outer space or photons land here."
>> "For white Miatas, I would think the former."

> I'd _pay_ for a picture of this with a white Miata, blasting off
> into outer space, just like the space shuttle lifting off at Cape
> Canaveral.

White Miatas do NOT blast off, that's incredibly low tech! They
accelerate, gently lift off and then achieve orbit w/o all those nasty
"G" forces.

Old December 29th 05, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

>"Googleheimlich" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Mine is a '90 with 165,000 miles. I've also got a new 2005 RX-8,
>> so I just use the Miata as a second car. The RX-8 is light years
>> faster than the Miata, and I haven't even installed the turbo kit
>> yet. Is this photons too?
>>
>>> "Either Miatas take off into outer space or photons land here."
>>> "For white Miatas, I would think the former."

>> I'd _pay_ for a picture of this with a white Miata, blasting off
>> into outer space, just like the space shuttle lifting off at Cape
>> Canaveral.

>White Miatas do NOT blast off, that's incredibly low tech! They
>accelerate, gently lift off and then achieve orbit w/o all those nasty
>"G" forces.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/

That is of course a white Miata that they have photoshopped to look
blueish. You can just see the photon jet behind the car.

Old January 1st 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Those Adobe people have been at it again, they probably live in Adobe
houses in Tijuana, where they can afford to pay the rent with their
Adobe salaries. I just spent several hours cleaning the high-flow K&N
air filter, part of the Racing Beat cold air induction system on my '90
Miata. A mechanic had told me, my air filter was "very, very, dirty".
I could see THAT as soon as I added the cleaning solution and let it
sit for 10 minutes. BTW, I checked out "QED: The StrangeTheory of
Light and Matter" by Richard P. Feynman. It gets into quantum
electrodynamics, and the interactions between electrons and photon
particles. Feynman is one of my heroes. Now, if only he had driven a
white Miata...
--Googleheimlich