reflections on the 2006 MX-5

Old May 19th 05, 04:51 AM
the invisible man

Default reflections on the 2006 MX-5

Having spent 2 days with the 2006 MX-5 (no longer Miata) some thoughts:
It is bigger inside, especially in the area of head room. And the
steering wheel can be dropped for shorter drivers. The seat bottoms have
bolsters that make the seat feel narrower. Storage is a little worse.
There are some storage cubbies behind both seats, big enough for a video
camera and not much more. With the top down, there is no longer room for
a bag on top of the boot- it's flat there, even with the top of the
sheetmetal. The trunk is deeper, since no spare. (Run-flat tires.) There
is a jack in a side pocket where the battery used to be. (Odd). There is
a tow-hook port fore and aft, with a long tow-hook in the tool bag. The
battery is in the front, easily accessible. It's really tight for turbo
stuff, but since Flying Miata was checking it out, that will come. No
MazdaSpeed version the first year, nor a hardtop. Old hardtop won't fit-
new cockpit is wider. Also, single center latch for top. Supposed to be
easier to put up/down but not so on the prototype- altho it may get
easier with use. Wider fender flares front/back looked nice- very well
done. Dual exhaust tips looked classy. There is actually a nice-looking
factory grill. I didn't like the exhaust- too quiet. When the engine was
revved, you could hear only the engine, no pretty note, altho the
engineer from Japan said it has been tumed to rumble at high RPM. It is
clearly a Miata, not an RX-mini. Suspension is similar, but different-
this was stressed by engineer. Oh-cupholders. The passenger one is a
nice touch, but the drivers is between your knee and the steering wheel.
There are still the normal consle ones.
Generally, pretty nice. I'll wait until they've been out a while before
I consider buying, and even then would look at a trade-in 2004/2005.
On another note, Miatas in Moab had 175 registered vehicles, 184 total,
350+ drivers for 4 days. Only 1 speeding ticket (10 over) was admitted.
Only one flat tire seen. We'll be back in 2007!
Loren
Old May 19th 05, 05:24 AM
Armon Tanzerian

I can't wait to see the new gen Miata in person. I have many mixed emotions
from the pix so far!

It's yet to be determined whether the Miata moniker will indeed be dropped.
Many so called "experts" have said that it is OFFICIALLY an MX-5, however a
trip to Mazdausa's website proudly announces the 2006 MX-5 MIATA. All the
text also refers to it as a Miata. *shrug* doesn't matter what you call it,
as long as it has the bloodlines of the original!

Old May 19th 05, 01:36 PM
Leon van Dommelen

the invisible man > wrote:

>Having spent 2 days with the 2006 MX-5 (no longer Miata) some thoughts:
>It is bigger inside, especially in the area of head room. And the
>steering wheel can be dropped for shorter drivers. The seat bottoms have
>bolsters that make the seat feel narrower. Storage is a little worse.
>There are some storage cubbies behind both seats, big enough for a video
>camera and not much more. With the top down, there is no longer room for
>a bag on top of the boot- it's flat there, even with the top of the
>sheetmetal. The trunk is deeper, since no spare. (Run-flat tires.)

*Run-flat* tires? Where are you going to find a choice in
performance run-flat tires?

Leon

> There
>is a jack in a side pocket where the battery used to be. (Odd). There is
>a tow-hook port fore and aft, with a long tow-hook in the tool bag. The
>battery is in the front, easily accessible. It's really tight for turbo
>stuff, but since Flying Miata was checking it out, that will come. No
>MazdaSpeed version the first year, nor a hardtop. Old hardtop won't fit-
>new cockpit is wider. Also, single center latch for top. Supposed to be
>easier to put up/down but not so on the prototype- altho it may get
>easier with use. Wider fender flares front/back looked nice- very well
>done. Dual exhaust tips looked classy. There is actually a nice-looking
>factory grill. I didn't like the exhaust- too quiet. When the engine was
>revved, you could hear only the engine, no pretty note, altho the
>engineer from Japan said it has been tumed to rumble at high RPM. It is
>clearly a Miata, not an RX-mini. Suspension is similar, but different-
>this was stressed by engineer. Oh-cupholders. The passenger one is a
>nice touch, but the drivers is between your knee and the steering wheel.
>There are still the normal consle ones.
>Generally, pretty nice. I'll wait until they've been out a while before
>I consider buying, and even then would look at a trade-in 2004/2005.
>On another note, Miatas in Moab had 175 registered vehicles, 184 total,
>350+ drivers for 4 days. Only 1 speeding ticket (10 over) was admitted.
>Only one flat tire seen. We'll be back in 2007!
>Loren

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old May 19th 05, 03:16 PM
South Ocean Drive

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> the invisible man > wrote:
>
>>Having spent 2 days with the 2006 MX-5 (no longer Miata) some thoughts:
>>It is bigger inside, especially in the area of head room. And the
>>steering wheel can be dropped for shorter drivers. The seat bottoms have
>>bolsters that make the seat feel narrower. Storage is a little worse.
>>There are some storage cubbies behind both seats, big enough for a video
>>camera and not much more. With the top down, there is no longer room for
>>a bag on top of the boot- it's flat there, even with the top of the
>>sheetmetal. The trunk is deeper, since no spare. (Run-flat tires.)

> *Run-flat* tires? Where are you going to find a choice in
> performance run-flat tires?
>
> Leon

And we all know about that pesky law that says we must replace tires with
the exact type that comes from the factory.

Oh, wait . . .

Old May 19th 05, 03:17 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-05-19, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:

> *Run-flat* tires? Where are you going to find a choice in
> performance run-flat tires?

Time for a Miata continental kit?

Or just drive around with normal tires and no spare. I did
that for 9 years in my '96. OK, I occasionally put the spare
back in for long trips.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Youth of today! Join
at me in a mass rally
Old May 20th 05, 12:41 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Grant Edwards > wrote:

>On 2005-05-19, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:
>
>> *Run-flat* tires? Where are you going to find a choice in
>> performance run-flat tires?

>Time for a Miata continental kit?

What is a continental kit?

>Or just drive around with normal tires and no spare. I did
>that for 9 years in my '96.

Having had about 8 flat tires, most sidewall punctures, on my
own 96, it does not have that great an appeal to me. I carry
the spare as well as a can of fix-a-flat.

> OK, I occasionally put the spare
>back in for long trips.

Not that I would make any.

Leon

Old May 20th 05, 12:48 AM
M. Cantera

The Miata appelation is already off the Mazdaspeed versions. It is
not to be found on the car at all.

I guess is saves on consulants and avoids costly marketing
embarrasments. I remember a blurb in a car mag that Mitsubishi
originally intended to name their SUV the Pajero. At some point the
found out this was latin american slang for onanist, which would not
have been good for sales.

I wonder if owning a car brand named after a Zoroastiran god is a
great enough offense to be stoned by the Taliban?

On Wed, 18 May 2005 21:24:40 -0700, "Armon Tanzerian"

Old May 20th 05, 12:50 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-05-19, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>>On 2005-05-19, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:
>>
>>> *Run-flat* tires? Where are you going to find a choice in
>>> performance run-flat tires?

>>Time for a Miata continental kit?

> What is a continental kit?

A kit that allows you to mount the spare tire vertically on the
back of the car. Apparently (at least in the US) that was
distinctive of the Lincoln Contentental. Here are example
"contental kits" for Cadillac.

http://www.mindspring.com/~dburden/continental.html

> Having had about 8 flat tires, most sidewall punctures, on my
> own 96, it does not have that great an appeal to me. I carry
> the spare as well as a can of fix-a-flat.

Yow. You're not supposed to drive Miata's through firefights...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm not available
at for comment...
Old May 20th 05, 02:10 AM
XS11E

Grant Edwards > wrote in:

>> What is a continental kit?

> A kit that allows you to mount the spare tire vertically on the
> back of the car. Apparently (at least in the US) that was
> distinctive of the Lincoln Contentental. Here are example
> "contental kits" for Cadillac.
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~dburden/continental.html

Here's the real thing:

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/linc4102.htm
Old May 20th 05, 06:00 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
M. Cantera > wrote:

> I wonder if owning a car brand named after a Zoroastiran god is a
> great enough offense to be stoned by the Taliban?

By...with...as long as they're providing the dope, what the heck?

Actually, "Mazda" was a pun on the company founder's name: Jujiro
Matsuda. The company, Toyo Kogyo, started using the Mazda name in 1931,
when it was applied to a 3-wheeled 500cc truck. The company name itself
wasn't changed to Mazda Motor Corporation until 1984.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Any comments on new 2006 Lexus GS vs BMW? Verizon User BMW 4 January 25th 05 04:15 AM
2006 MOR3.. Scott C BMW 0 December 7th 04 09:04 AM
TDI and 2006 Diesel Regulations MB VW water cooled 12 October 31st 04 12:05 AM
Does anyone have any info on the 2006 Civic? Thomas Frank Honda 9 October 13th 04 04:20 AM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM