1989 BMW 325i, Check Engine sign, engine hesitation: what is it?

Old September 16th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nancy

Default 1989 BMW 325i, Check Engine sign, engine hesitation: what is it?

This has never before happened with this car; the car was hesitating
very badly today after driving about 10 miles, and although it got a
little better the rest of the day, it still hesitates a little from
time to time, and the check engine sign comes on for a second, then
goes away - comes on for a second, then goes away for a few minutes,
then comes back on again, as the engine hesitates/lurches for a second
or two, then runs okay again.
This summer it was parked for six weeks at my mechanic, who worked on
other things (rear wheel bearing); but this car needs to be driven
regularly, although not too much, since it already has 175,000 miles
on it. Once I picked up my car a month ago, the car was stalling/
hesitating when starting (this also had never happened before); the
mechanic told me to add STP fuel system cleaner, twice, which I did,
and that seemed to take care of it, and it's been running fine the
last couple of weeks. I don't know if today's problem is related to
the earlier one.
Please help me! What could this be?

Old September 16th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RS[_1_]

go to AutoZone and get a free scan of your code. the symptoms you have sound
like what mine did , fix one spark plug cable bad

--
RS
2006 FLSTNI
"Nancy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This has never before happened with this car; the car was hesitating
> very badly today after driving about 10 miles, and although it got a
> little better the rest of the day, it still hesitates a little from
> time to time, and the check engine sign comes on for a second, then
> goes away - comes on for a second, then goes away for a few minutes,
> then comes back on again, as the engine hesitates/lurches for a second
> or two, then runs okay again.
> This summer it was parked for six weeks at my mechanic, who worked on
> other things (rear wheel bearing); but this car needs to be driven
> regularly, although not too much, since it already has 175,000 miles
> on it. Once I picked up my car a month ago, the car was stalling/
> hesitating when starting (this also had never happened before); the
> mechanic told me to add STP fuel system cleaner, twice, which I did,
> and that seemed to take care of it, and it's been running fine the
> last couple of weeks. I don't know if today's problem is related to
> the earlier one.
> Please help me! What could this be?

Check Engine Warning light appeared after filling engine oil! [email protected] BMW 6 July 1st 06 12:22 AM
1989 Le Barron AMP Guage goes past 18 check engine lite stover5 Chrysler 2 February 1st 06 09:57 PM
check engine light intermittant. Buick Park Avenue 1989 [email protected] Technology 2 July 15th 05 12:56 AM
engine hesitation tom Technology 7 April 17th 05 04:21 PM
2000 Passat V6 Engine Misfire + Check Engine light Sergio VW water cooled 3 February 11th 05 06:08 PM