CATYLITIC CONVERTER

Old August 14th 05, 12:05 AM
CURLEY

Default CATYLITIC CONVERTER

i took my 93 sl2 automatic saturn to the ford repair shop (close by my
house)because it was rattling underneath like crazy. he said it was the
catalytic converter and it would cost me $650 to replace it! amazing how i
found one at auto zone for $73. anyway, is this hard to replace? i am not a
mechanic by any means. thanks for any help,
curley

Old August 14th 05, 04:32 AM
Oppie

I don't know the specifics of that vehicle. In general though, I use a good
penetrating fluid on the bolt threads, let it sit for aobut 10 minutes to
soak in. Apply some more and then use a good impact wrench to remove the
bolt. An impact wrench when properly used breaks up rust and is less likely
to break anything else. If the bolt is too rusted to grab with the socket
wrench, I cut off the nut or bolt head with a torch and replace the hardware
(with the correct grade bolts/nuts).
If your are not a mechanic, you will most likely have a difficult time of
it. Another thing to look for, if you remove the old cat and see a large
section of the honeycomb missing, it is most probably lodged inside your
muffler and causing back pressure. It is often good to replace the muffler
and any questionable pipes in the process. Perhaps that's why you got the
high repair cost. Verify what was to be done for the $650.
Oppie

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 14th 05, 01:18 PM
David Teichholtz

If you, as you say, are not a mechanic by any means, doing work on your
exhaust system is not the way to start.
A good independant garage should be able to do the job for much less than
the $650.

-David

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 14th 05, 03:31 PM
marx404

I would get a quote from your local Saturn shop first on the cat and labor,
I dont believe $650. is reasonable, but then again, I dont know how much
that part costs. The repair is simple for a trained mechanic with the proper
tools which includes a lift to raise your car up. The cat unbolts from the
exhaust system, but freeing the bolts can be no fun, and maneuvering the
exhaust is tricky for a novice.

Do yourself a favor and get a second opinion either from Saturn or another
local reputable shop that is experienced with Saturns.

marx404

Old August 14th 05, 04:50 PM
Lane

> The cat unbolts from the exhaust system...

On the '93 SL2 he specified, the cat does not unbolt from the exhaust
system. I believe that it is a part of the downpipe. Most people would
address replacing it by cutting it off the downpipe and welding the new one
on. The same would be done with a flange which allows the remainder of the
exhaust system to mate up to the new cat properly. Get a few quotes from
exhaust shops. Most can do this sort of work quite reasonably.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old August 15th 05, 02:00 AM
justastreekin

I have a 93 and the honeycomb inside came loose and just rattled around in
there, Saturn wanted 700 for the parts alone, i bought one that fit a
berreta i think it was and done some welding on it to make it fit, may
want to check with a muffler shop ! , if i was to do it again i would
knock out the honeycomb and keep on truckin ! but that depends on where
you live.

Old August 16th 05, 01:54 AM
CURLEY

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, I WENT AND BOUGHT A UNIVERSAL CONVERTER AND TOOK MY
CAR TO A DIFFERENT SHOP: CONVERTER $73, INSTALL $60, SWEEET! THE MECHANIC
SAYS I WILL NEED A MUFFLER NEXT, IT IS RUSTING THROUGH, AND THE CLAMP (OR
WHATEVER IS HOLDING IT ON) THAT BOLTS IT ON IS RUSTING ALSO ( I MOVED TO
WISCONSIN FROM CALIFORNIA AND IT IS KILLING ME). IS THIS AN "EASY FIX"? OR
DO I NEED TO GO THE SAME ROUTE AS BEFORE? HERE WE GO AGAIN!