New Tires for Low-Mileage Saturn?

Old August 11th 05, 11:24 PM
Fantine

Default New Tires for Low-Mileage Saturn?

My elderly parents have a 1996 Saturn SL2 that has about 25,000 miles on it.
Three of the four tires are original. While the tread looks fine, I'm
wondering if the three 10-year-old tires need to be replaced. The research
I've done indicates that while tire manufacturers don't think that age is a
factor, many auto companies recommend replacement at about 5-6 years. What
do other Saturn owners recommend? Thank you for your help.

Old August 11th 05, 11:34 PM
NapalmHeart

"Fantine" > wrote in message
news
> My elderly parents have a 1996 Saturn SL2 that has about 25,000 miles on
> it. Three of the four tires are original. While the tread looks fine, I'm
> wondering if the three 10-year-old tires need to be replaced. The
> research I've done indicates that while tire manufacturers don't think
> that age is a factor, many auto companies recommend replacement at about
> 5-6 years. What do other Saturn owners recommend? Thank you for your
> help.

Are the tires weatherchecking on the sidewalls? If not, I would run them
and just keep a close eye on them.

Ken

Old August 11th 05, 11:48 PM
Fantine

What does "weatherchecking" mean, please?

Old August 12th 05, 05:41 AM
NapalmHeart

In my own words, it will show up as a bunch of fine cracks on the sidewalls.
Here are a couple of links that go into the subject to a much greater depth.

http://www.samscars.com/sds6.html

http://www.yokohamatire.com/csstdtrkwar.asp

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/info...o-glossary.asp

Many more on Google.

Ken

Old August 12th 05, 01:17 PM

for safety sake for your parents I would replace the tires every 5
years max!! If they show sidewall rear I would replace them
immediately.. you wouldn't feel right if they had an accident because
of them.. would you now

Old August 12th 05, 11:56 PM
Fantine

Thanks very much for the links.

Old August 12th 05, 11:57 PM
Fantine

Yeah, I think I'm going to replace them, just for the peace of mind.

oups.com...

Old August 14th 05, 01:14 AM
Fantine

Thanks for your view. I looked at the tires carefully today and I could see
hairline cracks on the sidewall right where it meets the tread. I'm taking
the car in tomorrow for the new set.

peakeasy.net...

Old August 15th 05, 04:16 PM
Ron Herfurth

What about tires with a warranty 6 years or longer? The first set of tires I
put on my SL1 had a 70,000 mile warranty and I only drive 10,000 a year.

ron herfurth

oups.com...

Old August 17th 05, 05:02 AM
riz

You're a good "kid" . Nice to see you are looking after the "old folks."
"