P0340 Cam position sensor

Old August 14th 05, 03:40 PM
Jake292

Default P0340 Cam position sensor

I went to Autozone to get a SES code from my 98 SL2. The scanner read
P0340 which, is the camshaft position sensor or circuit. However, when
I tried to purchase a sensor, the computer said the car didn't have one.
What should I do when I'm told to replace a sensor my car doesn't
have? Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 15th 05, 01:52 AM
jake292

I went ahead and bought a new set of plug wires and it took care of it
right away. The ones I bought just a short time ago must have been
defective.

Thanks.

Old August 15th 05, 02:48 AM
blah blah

Whoops posted this reply in the wrong thread:

Saturn 1.9's use "compression sense", bad plugs and wires will throw
that off. Always check a new set of wires with an ohm meter. I like to
wrap my wires in wire looms to keep them from rubbing through on metal.
They usually out last the plugs that way. Hopefully you used "double
platinum" plugs (ac delco or autolite my pref) since it is a "waste
spark" system. That will give you another good 80k miles of use out of
them.

In article >, says..
> I went ahead and bought a new set of plug wires and it took care of it
> right away. The ones I bought just a short time ago must have been
> defective.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jake292 wrote:
> > The car has about 80k on it now. At about 70k I did replace the plugs
> > and plug wires.
> >

> > blah blah wrote:
> >
> >> In article et>,

says...

Old August 15th 05, 07:23 PM
Steve

"Jake292" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>I went to Autozone to get a SES code from my 98 SL2. The scanner read
>P0340 which, is the camshaft position sensor or circuit. However, when I
>tried to purchase a sensor, the computer said the car didn't have one. What
>should I do when I'm told to replace a sensor my car doesn't have? <snip>

....Well, if I were web-savvy, I'd probably do a Google or Yahoo search. If
I weren't web-savvy, I'd probably ask my Saturn dealer's service department
personnel. But, that's just me.