Been Gone For A While

Old March 11th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Been Gone For A While

Greetings Everyone,

I have been gone from computer racing for nearly a year or just over.
It's been so long I don't remember. I am thinking about getting back
into it all and was wondering if someone could help me get back up to
speed.

I'd like to take the approach that I don't know anything at all and
would like information on where a complete newbie would start. I like
all forms of racing. What are the community standard games? What game
or games should I consider buying?

Peter
Old March 11th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Easy list:

rFactor
GT Legends
GTR
Grand Prix Legends (still going strong with great recent mods)
Nascar 2003 (if you can find it)
Richard Burns Rally
Live for Speed (pretty fun for the online and interesting features like
tire flat-spotting)

Most have demos so you can try before you buy.

HTH!
Kendt

Old March 11th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Plus F1C99-02 and all of it's mods.

Old March 11th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

If you can find it - isn't that still going for alot on eBay when a
copy surfaces? Or has that died down now that the new ISI sims are
out?

Kendt

Old March 11th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On 10 Mar 2006 20:08:02 -0800, "
> wrote:

>If you can find it - isn't that still going for alot on eBay when a
>copy surfaces? Or has that died down now that the new ISI sims are
>out?
>
>Kendt

What ISI sims are you talking about? Like I said, Iv'e been gone for a
while and have never heard of ISI.

Peter
Old March 11th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Peter Walker" > wrote in message
> On 10 Mar 2006 20:08:02 -0800, "
> > wrote:
>
>>If you can find it - isn't that still going for alot on eBay when a
>>copy surfaces? Or has that died down now that the new ISI sims are
>>out?
>>
>>Kendt

> What ISI sims are you talking about? Like I said, Iv'e been gone for a
> while and have never heard of ISI.
>
> Peter

Rfactor, GTR and GTL for three.

Ed

Old March 13th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Peter Walker > writes:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> I have been gone from computer racing for nearly a year or just over.
> It's been so long I don't remember. I am thinking about getting back
> into it all and was wondering if someone could help me get back up to
> speed.
>
> I'd like to take the approach that I don't know anything at all and
> would like information on where a complete newbie would start. I like
> all forms of racing. What are the community standard games? What game
> or games should I consider buying?

If you don't mind a hightly controversial copy protection, GTL and GTR
from SimBin are popular. I've heard they lack somewhat online, though.

rFactor is the newest offering from ISI, who did F1 Challenge for
EA. F1C is still around and have a slew of cool mods. Not that popular
online either, though. rFactor is all the hype these days. Built for
modding and could be all you ever asked for, but aparantly not yet. Good
online code, though.

GPL is still around. Cool mods, great online and still devilishly
difficult to drive. My prefered choice.

Another Papy gem, NASCAR2003 is also still around. Competes with F1C for
most outrageous price on eBay. The GTP mod is nice and popular. Don't
ask me where the online racing is done, since VROC is kind of dead as
far as N2003 is concerned.

If you don't want a sim, and stil don't mind the Starforce scheme of
messing with your computer in order to allow you not to copy a game,
Codemasters TOCA3 is around and is a fun acade driver.

Richard Burns Rally is the king of the hill in the WRC schene. Rally is
great fun.

Hope that helped, and completed whatever info everyone else might have
posted.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.