Changing the head on a 156

Old March 19th 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

Default Changing the head on a 156

2.0TS

Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?
It is a long time since I got my hands that dirty under the bonnet but in
the past I have changed gaskets on Cav's, Astra's and a Hyundai S-Coupe.

I have told the mechanic to give it me back, he found me a 'new' head after
giving up fixing mine but wanted me to go and buy it and he would fit it.
As it came without a guarantee I thought this was a really **** idea.

Old March 19th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

R D S > wrote:

> 2.0TS
>
> Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?

Yes, largely.

Cambelt, variator and balancer shaft belt all need doing at the same
time.

It's a pig of a job requiring some special tools and knowledge.

Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old March 19th 07, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

. ..

**** it then, will you buy my seats for three grand?

Old March 20th 07, 08:34 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:09:27 -0000, "R D S" > wrote:

>2.0TS

Is this still the same one??

>Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?

That depends on the skill of the home mechanic.

>I have told the mechanic

Henceforth to be properly described as a (cheap?), useless labourer..

>to give it me back, he found me a 'new' head after giving up fixing mine

...a (cheap?), useless labourer - I rest my case..

> but wanted me to go and buy it and he would fit it.

If this is the same idiot that's been messing about with your car for
almost a year, I wouldn't let him fit a newspaper through my
letterbox.

>As it came without a guarantee I thought this was a really **** idea.

...but the car came without a guarantee!...

Look, if it's still the car you've been playing with for almost a
year, <shouting start> GET RID OF IT! <shouting end>. Break for parts
on eBay then tow to scrappie. You must possess the worst 156 in the
world..get another, it can only be better!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old March 20th 07, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Zathras wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:09:27 -0000, "R D S" > wrote:
>
>> 2.0TS

> Is this still the same one??
>
>> Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?

> That depends on the skill of the home mechanic.
>
>> I have told the mechanic

> Henceforth to be properly described as a (cheap?), useless labourer..
>
>> to give it me back, he found me a 'new' head after giving up fixing
>> mine

> ..a (cheap?), useless labourer - I rest my case..
>
>> but wanted me to go and buy it and he would fit it.

> If this is the same idiot that's been messing about with your car for
> almost a year, I wouldn't let him fit a newspaper through my
> letterbox.
>
>> As it came without a guarantee I thought this was a really **** idea.

> ..but the car came without a guarantee!...
>
> Look, if it's still the car you've been playing with for almost a
> year, <shouting start> GET RID OF IT! <shouting end>. Break for parts
> on eBay then tow to scrappie. You must possess the worst 156 in the
> world..get another, it can only be better!

Absolutley - amongst the mickey taking (probably more on other ngs), I
suspect we all feel some sympathy with RDS!

Old March 20th 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:33:53 -0000, " cupra"
> wrote:

>I suspect we all feel some sympathy with RDS!

Indeed. He's also in a place where many people can arrive - my Dad for
one. The do I spend more and hope it's all done or do I get rid of it
dilemma isn't often a trivial or easy matter. My experience suggests
that once you're in it the only true escape is disposal.

Old March 20th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:09:27 -0000, "R D S" > wrote:
>
>>2.0TS

> Is this still the same one??
>
>>Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?

> That depends on the skill of the home mechanic.
>
>>I have told the mechanic

> Henceforth to be properly described as a (cheap?), useless labourer..
>
>>to give it me back, he found me a 'new' head after giving up fixing mine

> ..a (cheap?), useless labourer - I rest my case..
>
>> but wanted me to go and buy it and he would fit it.

> If this is the same idiot that's been messing about with your car for
> almost a year, I wouldn't let him fit a newspaper through my
> letterbox.
>
>>As it came without a guarantee I thought this was a really **** idea.

> ..but the car came without a guarantee!...
>
> Look, if it's still the car you've been playing with for almost a
> year, <shouting start> GET RID OF IT! <shouting end>. Break for parts
> on eBay then tow to scrappie. You must possess the worst 156 in the
> world..get another, it can only be better!

The useless labourer nearly had it right which is a shame.
It was running like a peach but oil use was still up.

The 'mechanic' said if he could sort the head from parts he had he would do
it for £200 which is why I have let it drag on these last months.
Enough is enough though, **** it. A line will be drawn under it, I will try
to get over the £1000's lost.
The biggest dissapointment is that I will never have a 156 now, I can't be
arsed with the 'told you so' brigade every time there is a problem if I get
another.

I have been walking about a lot more lately, it can do no harm, does a
household really need two cars anyway, I wonder if we have all become too
soft.

Old March 20th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

" cupra" > wrote in message
> Zathras wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:09:27 -0000, "R D S" > wrote:
>>
>>> 2.0TS

>> Is this still the same one??
>>
>>> Is changing the head beyond the scope of the home mechanic?

>> That depends on the skill of the home mechanic.
>>
>>> I have told the mechanic

>> Henceforth to be properly described as a (cheap?), useless labourer..
>>
>>> to give it me back, he found me a 'new' head after giving up fixing
>>> mine

>> ..a (cheap?), useless labourer - I rest my case..
>>
>>> but wanted me to go and buy it and he would fit it.

>> If this is the same idiot that's been messing about with your car for
>> almost a year, I wouldn't let him fit a newspaper through my
>> letterbox.
>>
>>> As it came without a guarantee I thought this was a really **** idea.

>> ..but the car came without a guarantee!...
>>
>> Look, if it's still the car you've been playing with for almost a
>> year, <shouting start> GET RID OF IT! <shouting end>. Break for parts
>> on eBay then tow to scrappie. You must possess the worst 156 in the
>> world..get another, it can only be better!

> Absolutley - amongst the mickey taking (probably more on other ngs), I
> suspect we all feel some sympathy with RDS!

Which **** taking in particular?
In case I have missed any!

Old March 20th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R D S

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:33:53 -0000, " cupra"
> > wrote:
>
>>I suspect we all feel some sympathy with RDS!

> Indeed. He's also in a place where many people can arrive - my Dad for
> one. The do I spend more and hope it's all done or do I get rid of it
> dilemma isn't often a trivial or easy matter. My experience suggests
> that once you're in it the only true escape is disposal.

Its worse because I have been here before.
I had a Hyundai S-coupe (I know, but I loved it) which was smoking like a ..
well like my 156.
Turbo was diagnosed as the problem, sent it to be reconned, no better, sent
it back and they said there was scoring as swarf had got in it? replaced it
with a new one, no better, head off and reconditioned, no better so it was
suggested that it could be the rings.
I ended up selling the ****ing thing for £50 and for a long while I wondered
if I should have got the rings done.

In future if my car breaks down I will simply leave it at the side of the
road and move on.

Old March 20th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

R D S wrote:
> " cupra" > wrote in message
>> Zathras wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this still the same one??

>>> That depends on the skill of the home mechanic.

>>> Henceforth to be properly described as a (cheap?), useless
>>> labourer..
>>>
>>> ..a (cheap?), useless labourer - I rest my case..

>>> If this is the same idiot that's been messing about with your car
>>> for almost a year, I wouldn't let him fit a newspaper through my
>>> letterbox.

>>> ..but the car came without a guarantee!...
>>>
>>> Look, if it's still the car you've been playing with for almost a
>>> year, <shouting start> GET RID OF IT! <shouting end>. Break for
>>> parts on eBay then tow to scrappie. You must possess the worst 156
>>> in the world..get another, it can only be better!

>> Absolutley - amongst the mickey taking (probably more on other ngs),
>> I suspect we all feel some sympathy with RDS!

> Which **** taking in particular?
> In case I have missed any!

Mainly in uk.rec.cars.misc IIRC!