156 1.8TS Starter Motor screech

Old March 17th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Makollig Jazvahted

Default 156 1.8TS Starter Motor screech

Typically in the morning, or even if it's been parked for just a couple of
hours sometimes, start the car and there a pretty awful, screech, squeal..
call it what you will from the starter motor.

Googling suggests that it's clutch dust csuung the starter to stick on the
flywheel, although I'm not clear whether it's also a sign of any imminent
failure.

Well, can't be imminent failure as it's been doing it for over 12 months,
dunno why buts it's now starting to **** me off.

Any quick fixes for this, or is it, as I fear, a case of taking the starter
motor off (not and easy job by all accounts) and giving it a good clean?

ta-ra

Makollig

Old March 18th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dominic

"Makollig Jazvahted" > wrote:
>Typically in the morning, or even if it's been parked for just a couple of
>hours sometimes, start the car and there a pretty awful, screech, squeal..
>call it what you will from the starter motor.

My 147 1.6 has done the same for a couple of years now. Never did
it at the garage before the waranty ran out, of course. Mine sounds
like the starter gear going fully home after starting, and just clips the
edge of the flywheel a few times... it doesn't sound like the starter
motor is getting spun by the running engine.

I have thought in the past that mine was worse in cold weather.

>Googling suggests that it's clutch dust csuung the starter to stick on the
>flywheel, although I'm not clear whether it's also a sign of any imminent
>failure.

Garage mechanic told me that its probably not worth panicing about
unless it gets worse...

>Well, can't be imminent failure as it's been doing it for over 12 months,
>dunno why buts it's now starting to **** me off.

It's embarassing! When you start the engine in public and a nasty
noise comes out...

>Any quick fixes for this, or is it, as I fear, a case of taking the starter
>motor off (not and easy job by all accounts) and giving it a good clean?

If you find out, do post here!

dom.

Old March 18th 07, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Simon Mason

"Makollig Jazvahted" > wrote in
message news:45fc4cee.0@entanet...
> Typically in the morning, or even if it's been parked for just a couple of
> hours sometimes, start the car and there a pretty awful, screech, squeal..
> call it what you will from the starter motor.

Mine has done this for many years. Paid 70 quid a couple of times to get the
garage to clean the shaft, but it always returns. I'd rather hear the noise
than pay another 70 quid now.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

156 V6 starter motor Ppelectron Alfa Romeo 2 October 29th 04 01:40 PM
156 - screeching starter motor? fmt Alfa Romeo 5 September 30th 04 11:06 PM
pajero starter motor Gary Hall 4x4 0 August 28th 04 03:49 PM
Starter motor testing Al Nicol General 4 July 21st 04 01:57 PM