RAMFM - How I remember thee...

Old January 6th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default RAMFM - How I remember thee...

>A Guy Named Steve wrote:

> I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I
> didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd stop
> by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.

> I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...

It has faded quite a bit but is hanging on, I think, largely due to the
newer Mustangs' continued popularity.

> I was amazed to see through the Google Groups stats that my old AOL
> address is still the #4 poster in the history of the group.
> Considering I haven't been on AOL for at least 5 years, I guess I had
> some time on my hands back then.

> Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

Maybe the overall grand total, but I doubt any of the current monthly
totals for the last 5-6 years. Most times now I only get time to post
a new topic once in a while and then maybe read a few of the replies --
I don't do much back and forth banter anymore. Though my nest is now
empty, work/commuting, school, gym time and home projects have sucked
up just about all my "disposable" time.

> Although I haven't had a Mustang since New NoOp showed up back around
> 1999, my father just picked up one of the triple white limited edition
> converts a couple of months ago. He's in the process of doing a lot of
> work on it to get it back near original condition. It has a LONG ways
> to go too!

> I still miss having a 5.0, which is what brought me to this group back
> around 1996. I haven't ruled out getting another one as it would be a
> good car for me to drive to the park and ride 4 days a week to leave it
> for 11 hours. But I doubt that I'll find one cheap enough that hasn't
> been abused. The nicer ones I see these days are still asking in the
> $7-8K range, which is about half what was paid for them back in the
> late 80's, early 90's.

I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
rare.

> Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
> 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
> back to the old 5.0's.

I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most
making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

> At the same time, I could probably pay cash for
> the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course
> the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the
> last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans
> "fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have probably
> found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.

A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I
thought those days were long past.

> Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the
> web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost
> "exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to USENET
> anymore.

To me the web-based is too dry and sterile. USENET is much more
spontaneous and free.

> Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
> he was in Texas.

Didn't he get out of the Navy?

I doubt he'd want to talk to me. We clashed pretty hard before he
checked out of RAMFM. While he was a nice guy, and I enjoyed talking
to him, (we had traded some old car ads/articles) at the end he drove
me crazy because he was so down on any/everything that wasn't his
latest and greatest project. Last I knew he had plans for a Miata he
had bought.

> The original "**** disturber" among other things...

Good to see you're still around! I wondered where you had gone.

I'm still in the same place. If you ever come around these parts you
know you're welcome to take the Cobra for a spin.

Patrick
'93 Cobra (still looking pretty darn good after 120K miles)

Old January 6th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> >A Guy Named Steve wrote:

>> I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I
>> didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd stop
>> by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.

>> I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...

> It has faded quite a bit but is hanging on, I think, largely due to the
> newer Mustangs' continued popularity.

Yes, but the Great Flame Wars seem to have hit their peak around the year
2000. Other than the off-topic political and/or religious crossposts, this
group has become downright civil. Dammit.

>> I was amazed to see through the Google Groups stats that my old AOL
>> address is still the #4 poster in the history of the group.
>> Considering I haven't been on AOL for at least 5 years, I guess I had
>> some time on my hands back then.

>> Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

> Maybe the overall grand total, but I doubt any of the current monthly
> totals for the last 5-6 years. Most times now I only get time to post
> a new topic once in a while and then maybe read a few of the replies --
> I don't do much back and forth banter anymore. Though my nest is now
> empty, work/commuting, school, gym time and home projects have sucked
> up just about all my "disposable" time.

You need new hobbies. Mine is Law and Order reruns, and I can usually read
and type during the commercials. Other than that, I'm working on my
landscaping. Obviously, that's a seasonal pursuit, and this ain't the
season.

>> Although I haven't had a Mustang since New NoOp showed up back around
>> 1999, my father just picked up one of the triple white limited edition
>> converts a couple of months ago. He's in the process of doing a lot of
>> work on it to get it back near original condition. It has a LONG ways
>> to go too!

>> I still miss having a 5.0, which is what brought me to this group back
>> around 1996. I haven't ruled out getting another one as it would be a
>> good car for me to drive to the park and ride 4 days a week to leave it
>> for 11 hours. But I doubt that I'll find one cheap enough that hasn't
>> been abused. The nicer ones I see these days are still asking in the
>> $7-8K range, which is about half what was paid for them back in the
>> late 80's, early 90's.

> I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
> basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
> the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
> rare.

Same up here in these woods - and it seems to have happened overnight. I
remember seeing Foxes everywhere, and they're all gone now. The one nice one
locally is currently for sale - a red/grey GT, but I have no specifics on
it. Other than that, I can go days without seeing one.

Remember, the youngest Fox is now 14 years old, and that's an eternity for
an automobile. The entire class is entering the "classic" stage, and a very
small percentage of them have survived. You used to muse about the Fox as
being the 80s version of the '57 Chevy, and it looks like you were right.
The question remains whether the old 5.0's will become big-time restoration
favorites or whether they'll be allowed to rust off to obscurity.

>> Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
>> 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
>> back to the old 5.0's.

> I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most
> making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

(Or, as in 1993, only 205.) You're right. Ironically, the newest generation
Mustang has the capability of making the 15 years of Foxes seem like the
Mustang IIs, as far as desirability. Not just more oomph, but a more
complete package. Those poor old 5.0's may be destined to die off at the
track and may never be seen as collectibles. Time will tell.

>> At the same time, I could probably pay cash for
>> the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course
>> the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the
>> last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans
>> "fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have probably
>> found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.

> A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I
> thought those days were long past.

(Just saw a listing for an '89, I believe, with an advertised 23,000 on the
clock. To me, having to FEW miles on a car of that age might be as
problematic as too MANY miles.)

>> Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the
>> web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost
>> "exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to USENET
>> anymore.

> To me the web-based is too dry and sterile. USENET is much more
> spontaneous and free.

....and left now to the Chosen Few.

dwight

Old January 6th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

wrote:
> >A Guy Named Steve wrote:

> It has faded quite a bit but is hanging on, I think, largely due to the
> newer Mustangs' continued popularity.

That could be, and it could also be relative to some of those web-based
sites that include the posts as part of their content. There may be
people who participate in this group that have no idea what Usenet
was...

> > Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

> Maybe the overall grand total, but I doubt any of the current monthly
> totals for the last 5-6 years. Most times now I only get time to post
> a new topic once in a while and then maybe read a few of the replies --
> I don't do much back and forth banter anymore. Though my nest is now
> empty, work/commuting, school, gym time and home projects have sucked
> up just about all my "disposable" time.

That's the same with me. My address is at AOL.com and I haven't used
that forever. Once I was off AOL, I posted using my peoplepc account.
I may have some via Earthlink too, but I'd have to check. I think I
munged the address using something like @gs.455 or @gs455.com...

> I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
> basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
> the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
> rare.

I don't normally put myself in places to see the nice ones either.
Once in a while I'll see one on Craigslist or something. However it
may be a completely different car once you see it in person.

They do have the big Mustang show just up the street from my house at
Bellevue Community College. I haven't been to it since we moved here
in 2003 though. I'm not really one for car shows.

> > Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
> > 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
> > back to the old 5.0's.

> I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most
> making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

That's true, but I still like the combination of styling, performance,
ease to work on, and gas mileage. It's definitely one of the best ever
starting points regardless of which direction you want to go in.

> A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I
> thought those days were long past.

There's always some more out there. You just need to be in the right
place at the right time with the right amount of cash available.

> > Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
> > he was in Texas.

> Didn't he get out of the Navy?

Yes, he got out several years ago. I caught a baseball game with him
not long before he headed back to Texas.

> I doubt he'd want to talk to me. We clashed pretty hard before he
> checked out of RAMFM. While he was a nice guy, and I enjoyed talking
> to him, (we had traded some old car ads/articles) at the end he drove
> me crazy because he was so down on any/everything that wasn't his
> latest and greatest project. Last I knew he had plans for a Miata he
> had bought.

I think he still had the Miata when I last saw him, however I have no
idea if he still does now. He was working on SVO's for a while too.
He liked things pretty technological, while I liked inefficient, big
cube motors that I could get in and expect nearly the same results from
every weekend.

> > The original "**** disturber" among other things...

> Good to see you're still around! I wondered where you had gone.
>
> I'm still in the same place. If you ever come around these parts you
> know you're welcome to take the Cobra for a spin.

I haven't really gone anywhere. We moved from Kirkland to Bellevue
about five months after the wedding - a distance of about 20 miles.
We've rooted ourselves pretty solidly here and plan to stay for as long
as we imagine.

I don't find myself in Florida (that's the same place, right?) at all.
I've been to Boston for a conference and many trips out to Virginia for
training. I think there was something going on in Florida at the end
of February. Unfortunately I didn't get in on it in time. Oh well...
I'm still waiting for you to come up to the other corner yourself.

Are you still in the Air Force?

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old January 6th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

dwight wrote:

> >> I haven't visited anything related to USENET in quite a while. I
> >> didn't even set it up when I got my current laptop. I thought I'd stop
> >> by ol' RAMFM and see if it was still alive.

> >> I guess it is, however nothing like the good ol' days...

> > It has faded quite a bit but is hanging on, I think, largely due to the
> > newer Mustangs' continued popularity.

> Yes, but the Great Flame Wars seem to have hit their peak around the year
> 2000. Other than the off-topic political and/or religious crossposts, this
> group has become downright civil. Dammit.

I think those days are forever gone. The internet is no longer a new
toy, and the kids have found/know the niches they enjoy and trolling a
NG isn't one of them anymore.

> >> Of course Patrick is still leading the charge.

> > Maybe the overall grand total, but I doubt any of the current monthly
> > totals for the last 5-6 years. Most times now I only get time to post
> > a new topic once in a while and then maybe read a few of the replies --
> > I don't do much back and forth banter anymore. Though my nest is now
> > empty, work/commuting, school, gym time and home projects have sucked
> > up just about all my "disposable" time.

> You need new hobbies. Mine is Law and Order reruns, and I can usually read
> and type during the commercials. Other than that, I'm working on my
> landscaping. Obviously, that's a seasonal pursuit, and this ain't the
> season.

I don't watch much TV. At lunch time I'll watch Jon Stewart and
ocassionally I'll catch a boxing match, maybe a Curb Appeal/Garden Guy
on HGTV, or a nature show, but that's about it. My TV time is a couple
hours a week, tops.

> > I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
> > basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
> > the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
> > rare.

> Same up here in these woods - and it seems to have happened overnight. I
> remember seeing Foxes everywhere, and they're all gone now. The one nice one
> locally is currently for sale - a red/grey GT, but I have no specifics on
> it. Other than that, I can go days without seeing one.

I saw two today. One an LX 5-oh. It was pretty beat up and had that
ugly chrome fender trim and a pair of funky big-tube exhaust extensions
welded to the tips of the original tail pipes. Needless to say the car
wasn't pretty.

The other was very clean looking. It had nice shiny paint and looked
straight [from about 50 yards anyway]. It was a red GT wearing chrome
Cobra Rs & black-outed headlight covers, was lowered a bit, and had
what looked to be a Saleen rear wing -- very mid/late 90's retro.

> Remember, the youngest Fox is now 14 years old, and that's an eternity for
> an automobile. The entire class is entering the "classic" stage, and a very
> small percentage of them have survived. You used to muse about the Fox as
> being the 80s version of the '57 Chevy, and it looks like you were right.
> The question remains whether the old 5.0's will become big-time restoration
> favorites or whether they'll be allowed to rust off to obscurity.

While there are some signs of these cars could become "classics" --
there are a few 5-oh resto companies -- I don't know if the automotive
enviroment will ever again see the type of perfect storm the first
muscle car era saw -- a decade+ decline in factory performance and a
huge generation of buyers (the Boomers) wanting to re-live their past
coming together. I just don't see it happening, at least not in the
same numbers and dollars. Even myself, when my Cobra starts to become
more work than pleasure, I don't know if I'll have the desire to turn
the wrenches when there will be lots of used, affordable, and much
better performing '03-'04 Mach 1s/Cobras, and '05 and up GTs.
Especially, when I only have a two-car garage.

> >> Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6speed, and around
> >> 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
> >> back to the old 5.0's.

> > I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most
> > making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

> (Or, as in 1993, only 205.) You're right. Ironically, the newest generation
> Mustang has the capability of making the 15 years of Foxes seem like the
> Mustang IIs, as far as desirability. Not just more oomph, but a more
> complete package. Those poor old 5.0's may be destined to die off at the
> track and may never be seen as collectibles. Time will tell.

Good points.

> >> At the same time, I could probably pay cash for
> >> the Mustang as opposed to still having to finance the GTO. Of course
> >> the warranty on the GTO would be nice too, as I've spent $8000 in the
> >> last two years on my 99 Ranger to have a new long block and the trans
> >> "fixed" (not rebuild, mind you). For that $8000, I could have probably
> >> found a 90's notchback with around 50,000 miles on it.

> > A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I
> > thought those days were long past.

> (Just saw a listing for an '89, I believe, with an advertised 23,000 on the
> clock. To me, having to FEW miles on a car of that age might be as
> problematic as too MANY miles.)

Yes, stored cars can bring their own set of problems. (Our old LTD had
a number of them.) The key is how/where they're stored.

> >> Oh well, I thought I'd stop by and take a look at the place. With the
> >> web-based forums, it's obviously not what it once was. It's almost
> >> "exclusive" again though, since nobody seems to pay attention to USENET
> >> anymore.

> > To me the web-based is too dry and sterile. USENET is much more
> > spontaneous and free.

> ...and left now to the Chosen Few.

Chosen or did you mean crazy?

Patrick

Old January 6th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

A Guy Named Steve wrote:

> > I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
> > basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
> > the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
> > rare.

> I don't normally put myself in places to see the nice ones either.
> Once in a while I'll see one on Craigslist or something. However it
> may be a completely different car once you see it in person.

> They do have the big Mustang show just up the street from my house at
> Bellevue Community College. I haven't been to it since we moved here
> in 2003 though. I'm not really one for car shows.

While I'd rather see the cars working out at a track, car shows are a
good place to make contacts with other owners -- a few times these
shows are where I found some good local sources for parts and services.

> > > Considering I can get a 2006 GTO with the LS2, 6-speed, and around
> > > 10,000 miles on it for under $25K these days, it can be hard to look
> > > back to the old 5.0's.

> > I know. There are so many nice [used] alternatives these days; most
> > making the old Foxes' 225 HP look pretty tame.

> That's true, but I still like the combination of styling, performance,
> ease to work on, and gas mileage. It's definitely one of the best ever
> starting points regardless of which direction you want to go in.

My thing is facilities. If I had a three-car garage or a pole barn
somewhere a project car would be great. But without that, I'll
probably opt to get something newer so I can daily drive it and be able
to tuck it away every night in the garage.

> > A 90's hatch with only 50K miles?!? Can they still be found? I
> > thought those days were long past.

> There's always some more out there. You just need to be in the right
> place at the right time with the right amount of cash available.

Oh I'm sure if you look around a bit you can find them, but they're not
around sitting in the local used car lots like they used to be.

> > > Hmmmm, I should see if I can find Anthony again. Last I heard from him
> > > he was in Texas.

> > Didn't he get out of the Navy?

> Yes, he got out several years ago. I caught a baseball game with him
> not long before he headed back to Texas.

Gosh, he was in for about 10 years of so when he punched wasn't he?

> > I doubt he'd want to talk to me. We clashed pretty hard before he
> > checked out of RAMFM. While he was a nice guy, and I enjoyed talking
> > to him, (we had traded some old car ads/articles) at the end he drove
> > me crazy because he was so down on any/everything that wasn't his
> > latest and greatest project. Last I knew he had plans for a Miata he
> > had bought.

> I think he still had the Miata when I last saw him, however I have no
> idea if he still does now. He was working on SVO's for a while too.
> He liked things pretty technological, while I liked inefficient, big
> cube motors that I could get in and expect nearly the same results from
> every weekend.

He flipped flopped alot. Late model Cobras, then SVOs, then BMWs &
import sports cars, then Miatas and at the very end he was praising
classic 60s stuff.

> > > The original "**** disturber" among other things...

Oh yeah... and what was the old statement that was always used... ' I
was just minding my own business when...' -- all of a sudden some guy
wanted to race me, the cops showed up, something stupid happened? Do
you remember that?

> > Good to see you're still around! I wondered where you had gone.

> > I'm still in the same place. If you ever come around these parts you
> > know you're welcome to take the Cobra for a spin.

> I haven't really gone anywhere. We moved from Kirkland to Bellevue
> about five months after the wedding - a distance of about 20 miles.
> We've rooted ourselves pretty solidly here and plan to stay for as long
> as we imagine.

How's the wife doing?

> I don't find myself in Florida (that's the same place, right?) at all.

Yep. FL has its good points, but I really miss the West.

> I've been to Boston for a conference and many trips out to Virginia for
> training. I think there was something going on in Florida at the end
> of February. Unfortunately I didn't get in on it in time. Oh well...
> I'm still waiting for you to come up to the other corner yourself.

> Are you still in the Air Force?

For about two more years. Once the kids finish their Bachelors (one
will be done in a year the other in a year and a half) I'll retire.
Then it'll be about job prospects if we stay here or go somewhere else.

Patrick

Old January 7th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimmy[_1_]

wrote:
> A Guy Named Steve wrote:
>
> > > I rarely see any clean Foxes anymore. Most seem to be either neglected
> > > basket cases or abused former hacked-up street racers. In my neck of
> > > the woods, to see a straight, clean, mostly original 5-oh is pretty
> > > rare.

> > I don't normally put myself in places to see the nice ones either.

> > Once in a while I'll see one on Craigslist or something. However it
> > may be a completely different car once you see it in person.

Funny thing, Patrick. Had a kid last year (maybe eve 2005?) at a local
car show who just simply could not believe I had a Fox 5.0 GT in
original condition. Seemed VERY funny to me but I told him I'd bring it
the following week. He said I could get 12-14k for the car...to which I
laughed and said that's what they cost new.....PLUS...mine needed
work...he was adamant about the price and I said I think you're
mistaken but thanks for the kudos...(mine is FAR from close to being
perfect)

> > They do have the big Mustang show just up the street from my house at
> > Bellevue Community College. I haven't been to it since we moved here
> > in 2003 though. I'm not really one for car shows.

> While I'd rather see the cars working out at a track, car shows are a
> good place to make contacts with other owners -- a few times these
> shows are where I found some good local sources for parts and services.

Fantastic point. An example...today..(ok..watch tells me it happened
YESTERDAY) weather was fantastic. Washed the stang and took it for a
cruise around the neighborhood. GOt a call from a neighbor I see at the
local car shows in the Bronx. He calls me and says he saw me in the
Mustang and remembered I was the guy who was interested in his 4bbl
Pontiac manifold...he calls me and I go to pick it up. Figure it would
be a rusted old manifold needing work(but free is free!)...Anyway...it
was far from the case. It was sand blasted...like new and ready to
rock! I was beside myself! And he gave me a bottle of his homemade
Italian wine (RED) TO BOOT! Great guy...not just because of what he did
for me but he's really into cars. More interested in what folks
actually do for themselves....not the folks wigh deep pockets but those
that do what they can.
..

> My thing is facilities. If I had a three-car garage or a pole barn
> somewhere a project car would be great. But without that, I'll
> probably opt to get something newer so I can daily drive it and be able
> to tuck it away every night in the garage.

C'mon Patrick! Don't you remember as kids when none of us had an
umbrella to work under? Let alone a garage! If I can keep em all
registered and insured...I'll keep em running! WOO HOO! :-)

> He flipped flopped alot. Late model Cobras, then SVOs, then BMWs &
> import sports cars, then Miatas and at the very end he was praising
> classic 60s stuff.

He did to that rather thorough filter test (off the top of my head from
bobistheoilguy.com ? But I'm old now....however pretty sure that's
correct)

Jimmy