Convertible Top (Care and Feeding)

Old December 27th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Tony[_9_]

Default Convertible Top (Care and Feeding)

I have an 06 GT Convertible (Black Top) and was wondering what people
use to clean and protect the convertible top?

Thanks!

Tony
Old December 27th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Tony" > wrote in message
>I have an 06 GT Convertible (Black Top) and was wondering what people use
>to clean and protect the convertible top?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Tony

Caution: some sarcastic content

Just had a new top put on my '93, and asked the installer how to care for
it. His answer, don't put the top down and don't take the car out of the
garage.

With a bright white top (a previous mistake), I used to use a very mild
solution of Ivory Snow and a soft bristle brush. Otherwise, I'd just wash
the whole car with my usual car wash gel and rinse thoroughly. Nothing
special.

One rule, though - NEVER put the top down when wet. It should always be
allowed to dry thoroughly.

Since I tend to use my cars daily and leave them parked in the sun all day
every day at work, I've come to expect normal wear and tear. The more use
they get, the sooner you'll start shopping for a new top.

dwight

Old January 1st 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Paul[_2_]

at 27 Dec 2006, Tony ] wrote in news:yMCdnd91Qf1_
:

> I have an 06 GT Convertible (Black Top) and was wondering what people
> use to clean and protect the convertible top?

05 here with black top. I checked with Ford and was told the top was
canvas(sailcloth). For protection I'm using 303 Fabric Guard as I've
gotten a lot of recommendations on it. They have a cleaning and
protection kit especially for ragtops:

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?
fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=430&CFID=300 2937&CFTOKEN=88161868

I bought the fabric guard at my local marine store and am using simple
green and a brush to clean the top. Before I wash it, I use the brush
dry to get as much loose dirt out as possible. Also, never put the top
down wet. Let it dry before you put it down.

My biggest enemy is the Florida sun. I've been lucky so far as we had
covered parking at work. But we are moving and no more of that luxury.
So I will be using a carcover to protect my baby from now on.

Hope this helps.

--
_ 2005 Mustang V6 Convertible (Mineral Grey)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Old January 2nd 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Paul wrote:
> at 27 Dec 2006, Tony ] wrote in news:yMCdnd91Qf1_
> :
>
>> I have an 06 GT Convertible (Black Top) and was wondering what
>> people
>> use to clean and protect the convertible top?

> 05 here with black top. I checked with Ford and was told the top was
> canvas(sailcloth). For protection I'm using 303 Fabric Guard as I've
> gotten a lot of recommendations on it. They have a cleaning and
> protection kit especially for ragtops:

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?
> fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=430&CFID=300 2937&CFTOKEN=88161868
>
> I bought the fabric guard at my local marine store and am using
> simple
> green and a brush to clean the top. Before I wash it, I use the
> brush
> dry to get as much loose dirt out as possible. Also, never put the
> top
> down wet. Let it dry before you put it down.
>
> My biggest enemy is the Florida sun. I've been lucky so far as we
> had
> covered parking at work. But we are moving and no more of that
> luxury.
> So I will be using a carcover to protect my baby from now on.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>> _| Member Modern Mustangs of North America
>> (MMNA) http://mustang.fdns.net

Exactly the information I was looking for; thank you.

What is "mistang.fdns.net, and why does MSIE refuse to display it?

--
Frank ess
San Diego CA

Old January 4th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Paul[_2_]

at 02 Jan 2007, Frank ess ] wrote in
:

> Exactly the information I was looking for; thank you.

No problem. Here to help, :-)

> What is "mistang.fdns.net, and why does MSIE refuse to display it?

http://mustang.fdns.net was down temporarily. It is up now. Info about
my Mustang as well as a 1994-2004 VIN decoder.