Video of California 58, near Santa Margarita

Old November 19th 07, 07:56 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Carl Rogers[_3_]

Default Video of California 58, near Santa Margarita

Hi Viatologists,

Just a few moments ago, the Worldwide Highway Library was updated w/ this
video of California State Route 58:

http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com/ca-58.wmv

Footage includes a sleepy two-lane stretch on a sunny afternoon. This route
is helpful for central California motorists en route to southern Nevada.
The video's location is near Santa Margarita, and less than one kilometre
from US Federal Route 101. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Adding human experience to transportology"
********
Calrog.com, http://www.calrog.com :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An integrated media arm in Turn-of-the-Century PC Development,
International Transportation Research, and Interpersonal Psychology. Has
served your home country and ninety-nine of its worldwide neighbours
since 2000, through Internet downstream and published works.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/calrog
********

Old November 21st 07, 04:44 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving, ca.driving

On Nov 19, 11:56 am, "Carl Rogers" > wrote:
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> Just a few moments ago, the Worldwide Highway Library was updated w/ this
> video of California State Route 58:
>
> http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com/ca-58.wmv
>
> Footage includes a sleepy two-lane stretch on a sunny afternoon. This route
> is helpful for central California motorists en route to southern Nevada.
> The video's location is near Santa Margarita, and less than one kilometre
> from US Federal Route 101. Enjoy!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Rogers

A few years ago I had several occasions when I had to be in the
Central Coast region of California. I drove to/from my Los Angeles
area home via CA-166, CA-58, CA-41, and CA-46 (and I-5, of course).

Of the four, CA-58 is the one that least deserves to be a state
highway. It begins at a truly unimportant place, Santa Margarita; if
CA-58 didn't begin there, the place might not even have a name. In a
rare bit of Truth in Advertising, Caltrans warns truckers that this
road is 'Not Advised'. The portion of road (Calf Canyon Hwy) from
Santa Margarita to Wilson Corner (La Panza Road) is a narrow, winding
road that should never have been designated a state highway. The next
portion of road (Carrisa Hwy) is a pleasant enough road that provides
access to the north end of the Carrizo Plain National Monument (which
includes Soda Lake). Beyond the micro-town of Simmler, the highway
includes a series of switchbacks and hairpin curves crossing from San
Luis Obispo county to Kern county, then back to SLO before ending up
in Kern county on its way to its intersection with CA-33 near the
micro-town of McKittrick.

CA-46 is the straightest and fastest, except for the lack of passing
opportunities due to steady traffic. CA-41 slants the wrong way for
me (in Los Angeles) but works fine for a Sacramento - San Luis Obispo
journey.

CA-166 is clearly my favorite of the four. There are very few areas
where the Speed Limit 55 can't be driven safely or where the posted
speed limit is less than 55. There are one or two places where you
could stop for a bathroom break before CA-33 (I didn't find any on
CA-58), and then a gas station or two in Maricopa at the northeast end
of the 14-mile CA-166/CA-33 multiplex before the 22-mile straightaway
to I-5.

IMHO, San Luis Obispo, as the county seat and the most important city
in SLO county, deserves more direct access to I-5 than CA-58 (9 miles
north) or CA-166 (28 miles south). In my imaginary world, CA-223
(Bear Mountain Blvd) would be extended west across the moutains to
eventually intersect with CA-227 just south of San Luis Obispo.
Old November 21st 07, 04:54 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Luxury Yacht

"Carl Rogers" > wrote in message
et...
> Hi Viatologists,
>
> Just a few moments ago, the Worldwide Highway Library was updated w/ this
> video of California State Route 58:
>
> http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com/ca-58.wmv

I love it. His narration is so tedious and banal he cuts himself off in the
editing process. And his frame rate is so bad it's hard to watch.

You are such a tool!

Old November 21st 07, 05:13 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving, ca.driving
Steve Sobol

["Followup-To:" header set to ca.driving.]
On 2007-11-21, > wrote:

> Of the four, CA-58 is the one that least deserves to be a state
> highway.

Well, it *does* serve one important purpose, connecting to I-40 and I-15
just outside Barstow. But then, I think they should just extend I-40 all the
way to I-5.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED
www.SteveSobol.com

Old December 27th 07, 02:00 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving, ca.driving
Michael Ejercito

On Dec 26, 1:37 pm, Daniel P Faigin > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:44:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:
> >Of the four, CA-58 is the one that least deserves to be a state
> >highway. It begins at a truly unimportant place, Santa Margarita; if
> >CA-58 didn't begin there, the place might not even have a name.

> Actually, it does serve a purpose (and is an old route, having been the original
> US 466). It provides state-maintained connectivity between US 101 and (former)
> US 66, now I-40, in the central region of the state. Yes, it is not up to
> current standards for high-speed travel, but not all state highways are. For a
> good example, look at Route 33 (former US 399), which is very windy... or even
> Route 23 (Decker Cyn Rd) between Westlake and Route 1.

A long section of Route 33 in the Valley is a heavily trafficked
route between Sacramento and Los Angeles.

Michael
Old December 27th 07, 06:47 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Cameron Kaiser

Michael Ejercito > writes:

>>For a
>>good example, look at Route 33 (former US 399), which is very windy

>A long section of Route 33 in the Valley is a heavily trafficked
>route between Sacramento and Los Angeles.

But none of that is old US 399. US 399 branches off from CA 33 along CA 119
in Taft to terminate near Bakersfield.

--
Cameron Kaiser * * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: