gas over $4 is here! is $5 gas far behind ?

Old May 14th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
jcr

Default gas over $4 is here! is $5 gas far behind ?

hc23hc wrote:

> "Shed liability for $19 billion..." Which means, in plain English,
> $19,000,000,000 of the employee retirement funds has already been
> spent on perks and bonuses for unaccountable bosses. It's gone
> overseas, right under your nose. Not unlike the Big Oil and
> Halliburton model of 'disappearing' money. You'll never see it
> again.

The liability transferred to the new owners. It isn't "gone"

You may want to take a entry level economics class.
Old May 14th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
jcr

Eeyore wrote:

> grinder wrote:

>>> You people haven't a clue what high gas prices are !
>>>
>>> You want to pay less ? Drive a car with better mileage.

>> Tell it to the truckers who transport goods I purchase.

> Their trucks already do 8-9 mpg despite carrying huge loads. Quite a respectable
> mileage considering.
>
> Graham

That's about the mileage that my 1967 GTO got, back in the day.
Old May 14th 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
grinder

"Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )" > wrote in message

> grinder wrote:

>> > You people haven't a clue what high gas prices are !
>> >
>> > You want to pay less ? Drive a car with better mileage.
>> >

>> Tell it to the truckers who transport goods I purchase.
>>

> There are trains which are five times more energy efficient just
> considering metal rolling on metal rails compared to rubber rolling on
> asphalt or concrete. Perhaps the higher costs of energy will mean a
> rejuvenation of rail freight.

One would hope but the rail system is in bad shape and will cost a few
bucks to repair. Then there is the cost of getting from the railway station
to the store. Trucks will still have to haul.

Old May 15th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

jcr wrote:

> And what do the "super rich" do with the money?

Oh, I know!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070512...R M93LXugOrgF

Car number plate sold for 6.8 million dollars in UAE

ABU DHABI (AFP) - A single-digit car registration plate was auctioned
off for more than 6.8 million dollars in the United Arab Emirates on
Saturday, beating the previous world record by more than 10 times.

The number plate "5" was bought for 25.2 million dirhams (6.86 million
dollars, 5.07 million euros) in Abu Dhabi, the oil-rich capital of the
UAE, WAM state news agency reported.

It said businessman Talal Khouri placed the highest bid in the first
auction of its kind in the UAE, with the proceeds going to charitable
projects for people with special needs.

The price beat a previous world record set last July in Yorkshire,
northern England, where the numberplate "M1" was knocked down for
331,500 pounds or 657,160 dollars (486,140 euros) at current exchange rates.
Old May 15th 07, 02:01 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Eeyore wrote:

>>>You people haven't a clue what high gas prices are !
>>>
>>>You want to pay less ? Drive a car with better mileage.

>>Idiot Reagan supporters backed gutting the CAFE standards.

> CAFE could only be a failure. CAFE was an attempt to tell US car buyers
> what they had to buy. This doesn't work out well, ever.

Of course it would have worked. The auto makers would have built
high-mileage cars and Americans wouldn't have had a choice but to buy
them.

> CAFE is something supported ultimately by people who want government to make
> decisions for them. There has always been a choice to buy cars with
> better fuel economy.

You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
expensive. If all cars were required to get good mileage then there
would be inexpensive cars that got good mileage. Just because you're
lazy and selfish doesn't mean the gov't shouldn't require better gas
mileage standards.

--Jeff

--
We know now that Government by
organized money is just as dangerous
Old May 15th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Michael Ejercito

On May 14, 6:01 pm, Jeffrey Turner > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

> >>Idiot Reagan supporters backed gutting the CAFE standards.

> > CAFE could only be a failure. CAFE was an attempt to tell US car buyers
> > what they had to buy. This doesn't work out well, ever.

> Of course it would have worked. The auto makers would have built
> high-mileage cars and Americans wouldn't have had a choice but to buy
> them.

Ah, so you are not pro-choice.

Maybe I should report you to NARAL.

> > CAFE is something supported ultimately by people who want government to make
> > decisions for them. There has always been a choice to buy cars with
> > better fuel economy.

> You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
> expensive.

SO MAKE YOUR OWN CARS.

Michael

Old May 15th 07, 03:24 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )

Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Brent P wrote:

> >>Idiot Reagan supporters backed gutting the CAFE standards.

> > CAFE could only be a failure. CAFE was an attempt to tell US car buyers
> > what they had to buy. This doesn't work out well, ever.

> Of course it would have worked. The auto makers would have built
> high-mileage cars and Americans wouldn't have had a choice but to buy
> them.

Abortion is a needed choice but not the choice of what car you want to
buy?

> > CAFE is something supported ultimately by people who want government to make
> > decisions for them. There has always been a choice to buy cars with
> > better fuel economy.

> You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
> expensive. If all cars were required to get good mileage then there
> would be inexpensive cars that got good mileage. Just because you're
> lazy and selfish doesn't mean the gov't shouldn't require better gas
> mileage standards.

People should be free to buy whatever vehicles they want. You views are
clearly authoritarian. It is exactly high fuel costs that pressure
people into more efficiency without taking away choice, and that's
exactly what you complain about.

--
"There are some gals who don't like to be pushed and grabbed and lassoed
and drug into buses in the middle of the night."
Old May 15th 07, 05:58 AM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Jeffrey Turner wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

>>> Idiot Reagan supporters backed gutting the CAFE standards.

>> CAFE could only be a failure. CAFE was an attempt to tell US car
>> buyers what they had to buy. This doesn't work out well, ever.

> Of course it would have worked. The auto makers would have built
> high-mileage cars and Americans wouldn't have had a choice but to buy
> them.

Nice - so you do not believe in free markets or freedom.

As an American who loves freedom, all I can say to you is "**** OFF!"

>> CAFE is something supported ultimately by people who want government
>> to make decisions for them. There has always been a choice to buy cars
>> with better fuel economy.

> You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
> expensive. If all cars were required to get good mileage then there
> would be inexpensive cars that got good mileage.

And according to you, we should all drive econo-boxes and just deal with it.

George Orwell would have a thing or 6 to say about you.

> Just because you're
> lazy and selfish doesn't mean the gov't shouldn't require better gas
> mileage standards.

If you love gov't so much, move to a totalitarian country

Old May 15th 07, 01:06 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Gary V

On May 14, 9:01 pm, Jeffrey Turner > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

> > There has always been a choice to buy cars with
> > better fuel economy.

> You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
> expensive.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! They would be very expensive.

> If all cars were required to get good mileage then there
> would be inexpensive cars that got good mileage.

Oops, lost it again - so close, and yet so far. Having the government
tell carmakers to do something doesn't make it inexpensive.

Old May 15th 07, 01:53 PM posted to alt.california,ca.politics,talk.politics.misc,misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Jeffrey Turner

Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' ) wrote:
> Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>Brent P wrote:

>>>CAFE could only be a failure. CAFE was an attempt to tell US car buyers
>>>what they had to buy. This doesn't work out well, ever.

>>Of course it would have worked. The auto makers would have built
>>high-mileage cars and Americans wouldn't have had a choice but to buy
>>them.

> Abortion is a needed choice but not the choice of what car you want to
> buy?

If a woman has an abortion it has absolutely no effect on my life. On
the other hand, the consequences for the planet, as well as U.S. foreign
policy, of uncontrolled fossil fuel consumption are serious enough to
warrant restrictions. Or do you like funding the people who fund
terrorism?

>>>CAFE is something supported ultimately by people who want government to make
>>>decisions for them. There has always been a choice to buy cars with
>>>better fuel economy.

>>You don't have a choice if those cars aren't being made or are very
>>expensive. If all cars were required to get good mileage then there
>>would be inexpensive cars that got good mileage. Just because you're
>>lazy and selfish doesn't mean the gov't shouldn't require better gas
>>mileage standards.

> People should be free to buy whatever vehicles they want. You views are
> clearly authoritarian.

My views are clearly responsible. Your views are, strangely, along the
lines of "if it feels good, do it" - not in the bedroom, where it has no
effect on anyone else, but in the public sphere where consequences are
dire.

> It is exactly high fuel costs that pressure
> people into more efficiency without taking away choice, and that's
> exactly what you complain about.

That was another option that Reagan didn't take a quarter-century ago.
But in this country, with its horrible if not absent systems of mass
transportation, high fuel prices hurt the people who are least able to
afford them the most. The people who most need fuel efficient vehicles
are the people who buy used, and therefor have the least effect on the
products of the auto manufacturers. Sure, this could all be compensated
for through the tax system, but that defies experience.

--Jeff