Center console clock

Old December 29th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Center console clock

Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?

mike

Old December 29th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Tony[_9_]

goodnigh wrote:
> Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
> a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
> January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
> Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?
>
> mike

Where did you get the info providing the issue and exact page for that
article? Seems to me, I'd start looking there..

Old December 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Tony" > wrote in message
> goodnigh wrote:
>> Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
>> a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
>> January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
>> Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?
>>
>> mike
>>

> Where did you get the info providing the issue and exact page for that
> article? Seems to me, I'd start looking there..

It was a web site about magazines after a long goggle search.
No magazines, just a reference.

Old December 30th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

goodnigh wrote:
> Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
> a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
> January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
> Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?

Sacramento Mustang (as well as others, I'm sure) have a quartz
replacement for about $70. I'm sure instructions are with it. If you
really want to keep your Mustang stock, some similar companies have a
program where you send in your old clock and have it rebuilt. Or, you
might just get lucky by putting some light oil on it to dissolve the 35
year old grease and dirt allowing it to work.

Old December 30th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Kruse" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> goodnigh wrote:
>> Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
>> a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
>> January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
>> Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?

> Sacramento Mustang (as well as others, I'm sure) have a quartz
> replacement for about $70. I'm sure instructions are with it. If you
> really want to keep your Mustang stock, some similar companies have a
> program where you send in your old clock and have it rebuilt. Or, you
> might just get lucky by putting some light oil on it to dissolve the 35
> year old grease and dirt allowing it to work.

Will take to Palo Alto Speedometer (paspeedo.com) as they are just up the
street.
Does not appear to be a mechanical problem, rather an electrical one.
The hands, including second hand, move fine. When you apply power nothing
happens.
Must be a fairly robust clock considering it is strapped to a toploader!

Old December 30th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Kruse" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> goodnigh wrote:
>> Bought a center console on eBay from '71 Mach 1 that has
>> a non-working clock. Mustang Monthly had an article dated
>> January 2003 page 26 describing how to repair this clock.
>> Is there a way to retrieve past articles online?

> Sacramento Mustang (as well as others, I'm sure) have a quartz
> replacement for about $70. I'm sure instructions are with it. If you
> really want to keep your Mustang stock, some similar companies have a
> program where you send in your old clock and have it rebuilt. Or, you
> might just get lucky by putting some light oil on it to dissolve the 35
> year old grease and dirt allowing it to work.

I stand corrected on previous post. A few drops of penetrating
oil is beginning to work. Still don't understand the use of electricity
except maybe to wind the clock.

Old December 30th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

goodnigh wrote:

> I stand corrected on previous post. A few drops of penetrating
> oil is beginning to work. Still don't understand the use of electricity
> except maybe to wind the clock.

Exactly. The motor winds the spring and then stops. That's why on a
properly working clock you will hear a "ting" or a "click" every few
minutes. The motor does not run continuously.

Old December 30th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> goodnigh wrote:
>
>> I stand corrected on previous post. A few drops of penetrating
>> oil is beginning to work. Still don't understand the use of electricity
>> except maybe to wind the clock.

> Exactly. The motor winds the spring and then stops. That's why on a
> properly working clock you will hear a "ting" or a "click" every few
> minutes. The motor does not run continuously.

It runs longer now, but still not in "running" condition.
Probably need to take it to a pro, $$ Ouch.
Last week it was the carb, this week the clock.
Had better luck with the carb.

Old December 31st 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . net>, goodnigh wrote:

> It runs longer now, but still not in "running" condition.
> Probably need to take it to a pro, $$ Ouch.
> Last week it was the carb, this week the clock.
> Had better luck with the carb.

I remember an article from the 80s about using the quartz movement from
various other cars that would work properly and could be wired such that
it would keep time with the car off. Of course practically everything in
junkyards now will have a digital clock.

Old December 31st 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Brent P" > wrote in message
news
> In article . net>,
> goodnigh wrote:
>
>> It runs longer now, but still not in "running" condition.
>> Probably need to take it to a pro, $$ Ouch.
>> Last week it was the carb, this week the clock.
>> Had better luck with the carb.

> I remember an article from the 80s about using the quartz movement from
> various other cars that would work properly and could be wired such that
> it would keep time with the car off. Of course practically everything in
> junkyards now will have a digital clock.

Got it working with a few precise drops of 3 in 1 oil as
suggested by another reader. Been running for
14 hours now and is dead on. Now just need to find
where under the dash to plug in the harness.