Latest mileage woes on the Civic Hybrid

Old August 27th 05, 07:11 PM
muzz

Default Latest mileage woes on the Civic Hybrid

Have had the Civic Hybrid for 19 months. Normal city driving was
showing 32 mpg. Dealer inspected, could find nothing wrong, and
apparently seemed to think I ought to be satisfied, even tho they
advertise 48 mpg in town.

Received a recall on the car, and after talking to the dealer, it
apparently was a software fix for the computer - ahh I thought, maybe
that will help the pathetic gas mileage. Well, it's been a couple of
weeks now since the update and I am presently seeing 29 mpg.

Old August 27th 05, 08:04 PM
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:11:42 -0500, muzz > wrote:

>Have had the Civic Hybrid for 19 months. Normal city driving was
>showing 32 mpg. Dealer inspected, could find nothing wrong, and
>apparently seemed to think I ought to be satisfied, even tho they
>advertise 48 mpg in town.

>Received a recall on the car, and after talking to the dealer, it
>apparently was a software fix for the computer - ahh I thought, maybe
>that will help the pathetic gas mileage. Well, it's been a couple of
>weeks now since the update and I am presently seeing 29 mpg.

How do you define "normal city driving". What is your top speed? How long to
you cruise at speeds over 35mph? If you're never getting above 35 and stop and
go with every light, then 29mpg would be phenominally good gas mileage.
Old August 27th 05, 08:58 PM
Enrico Fermi

>>Have had the Civic Hybrid for 19 months. Normal city driving was
>>showing 32 mpg. Dealer inspected, could find nothing wrong, and
>>apparently seemed to think I ought to be satisfied, even tho they
>>advertise 48 mpg in town.

>>Received a recall on the car, and after talking to the dealer, it
>>apparently was a software fix for the computer - ahh I thought, maybe
>>that will help the pathetic gas mileage. Well, it's been a couple of
>>weeks now since the update and I am presently seeing 29 mpg.

> How do you define "normal city driving". What is your top speed? How
> long to
> you cruise at speeds over 35mph? If you're never getting above 35 and
> stop and
> go with every light, then 29mpg would be phenominally good gas mileage.

Wife's box-stock '98 Civic DX makes 32mpg around town. Does better on the
Interstate.

Old August 28th 05, 12:29 AM

muzz > wrote:
> Received a recall on the car, and after talking to the dealer, it
> apparently was a software fix for the computer - ahh I thought, maybe
> that will help the pathetic gas mileage. Well, it's been a couple of
> weeks now since the update and I am presently seeing 29 mpg.

Some folks claim that the update made the indicated mileage closer to the
true mileage. I didn't see any difference. I get about 39 in heavy city
driving with a 2003 Civic Hybrid CVT.

Is your city travel heavy stop and creep, so that the engine never does
idle-stop? What do you get on the highway? How long are you in heavy
traffic? A few bursts to 50mph tossed in, with heavy acceleration?

I did just get 29.7mpg, but that was from Calistoga to the top of Mt. St.
Helena, a rise of 2200 feet in 15 miles, with four people in the car, and
A/C on. Average speed about 40mph, due to curves.

--
---

Old August 28th 05, 03:29 AM
AZ Nomad

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:58:38 -0500, Enrico Fermi > wrote:

>>>Have had the Civic Hybrid for 19 months. Normal city driving was
>>>showing 32 mpg. Dealer inspected, could find nothing wrong, and
>>>apparently seemed to think I ought to be satisfied, even tho they
>>>advertise 48 mpg in town.

>>>Received a recall on the car, and after talking to the dealer, it
>>>apparently was a software fix for the computer - ahh I thought, maybe
>>>that will help the pathetic gas mileage. Well, it's been a couple of
>>>weeks now since the update and I am presently seeing 29 mpg.

>> How do you define "normal city driving". What is your top speed? How
>> long to
>> you cruise at speeds over 35mph? If you're never getting above 35 and
>> stop and
>> go with every light, then 29mpg would be phenominally good gas mileage.

>Wife's box-stock '98 Civic DX makes 32mpg around town. Does better on the
>Interstate.

Does your wife drive the same as the original poster? If not, then your
observations are irrelevent.
Old August 28th 05, 04:12 AM
jim beam

AZ Nomad wrote:

>>>How do you define "normal city driving". What is your top speed? How
>>>long to
>>>you cruise at speeds over 35mph? If you're never getting above 35 and
>>>stop and
>>>go with every light, then 29mpg would be phenominally good gas mileage.

>>Wife's box-stock '98 Civic DX makes 32mpg around town. Does better on the
>>Interstate.

> Does your wife drive the same as the original poster? If not, then your
> observations are irrelevent.

how would we know? the op didn't state their driving conditions either,
so they're both as "irrelevent" as each other. [/if/ it's possible to
call the late great enrico fermi irrelevent of course.]

Old August 28th 05, 06:08 AM
L_L

Interesting to hear all this about hybrids.

I've averaged 35 mpusg (42 mi/imp gal) over the past 5 fill ups for
city driving ....1983 Civic FE

Old August 28th 05, 07:58 AM
Rattus The RAT

how many miles on that thing?

oups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 02:02 PM
Pars

Same here, I get about 35 mpusg of easy driving, in the city (with very
little traffic jams and occasional short sprints on inner city highway).
However, If I'm hard on the accelerator my city mpg will go down to 30 mpg
(US).

My absolute best mileage was 44 mpg on the 1 lane hwy (Toronto to Walkerton
and back) while averaging about 55 mph.

In a recent comparison test, an 05 Civic Coupe was able to obtain 49.6 mpg
If a regular gas engine can achieve these lofty figures on their own, the
added benefit from a Hybrid's electric motor seems insignificant in
comparison.

Pars
98 Civic Hatch (250,000km),
5spd with no Air.

oups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 03:49 PM
TomP

L_L wrote:

> Interesting to hear all this about hybrids.
>
> I've averaged 35 mpusg (42 mi/imp gal) over the past 5 fill ups for
> city driving ....1983 Civic FE

There you go... 83 Civic F.E. small low power engine in a light
car; what a concept.

--
Tp,

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Where to get electrical power on Civic Hybrid? [email protected] Honda 2 April 8th 05 05:31 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 04:38 PM
My experience with a Honda Civic hybrid muzz Honda 36 November 29th 04 11:50 PM