How to drive a Momentum Car like a Miata?

Old October 22nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

Default How to drive a Momentum Car like a Miata?

I was over at Thunderhill a week ago. One of the instructors said
that my line was perfect for a big horsepower car.

My question is, how does someone driving a Miata "think" about driving
around a turn?

Also, if someone can recommend a book that gives insight to driving a
momentum car, I would really appreciate it.

If anyone is interested, here's a video of my driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDd08rv25Wk

Thanks,
Mack

Old October 24th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

> Cool, what camera setup were you using?
>
> Pat

I have an old Panasonic camcorder(~7 years old) mounted on an I/O port
camera mount. This camcorder doesn't have image stability control,
but the camera mount is design to soak up some of the vibrations. I
got it off craigslist, but it's not too expensive new. The downside
is, with the roll bar and camera mount installed, I can't raise the
convertible top from my seat. But as you can see from the video, I'm
pretty small so someone bigger and stronger can probably manage it.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ry_ Code=IOPP

Old October 25th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

"My question is, how does someone driving a Miata "think" about driving
around a turn?" "Momentum Car"

Smoothness is a major factor. Pushing too hard into the turn causes you to
slow down too much during the turn, and making it more difficult to get back
the speed after the turn.

oups.com...

Old October 25th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chuck" > wrote:

> Smoothness is a major factor. Pushing too hard into the turn causes you to
> slow down too much during the turn, and making it more difficult to get back
> the speed after the turn.

And related to that, anyone who's had track instruction has probably
been scolded for "pinching" a turn--turning more sharply than necessary,
and not using all the available road--which scrubs off speed that a
low-powered car is hard put to regain. It's much better to brake too
much on entry and accelerate early out of the turn, than to enter too
fast and have to back off to avoid running out of road on exit.

If you have to go slowly, do it early in the turn; the goal is maximum
exit speed. This may be the answer to the original question: sometimes
the racing line must be changed to exploit a particular car's strengths.
In a stock Miata, there's seldom a problem getting all the power down or
keeping all the wheels on the ground, so a line can be chosen that takes
best advantage of the car's considerable grip and balance. Miatas aren't
as bothered, e.g., by bumpy corner exits as Corvettes.

Of course, all of these techniques work just as well for powerful cars,
but they offer more opportunity to benefit from one's skill in a slow
car that handles well.
Old October 25th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:31:48 -0700, "G. Mack" > wrote:
>If anyone is interested, here's a video of my driving.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDd08rv25Wk

From the video:

You're turning in too late, and not carrying enough speed through the turns. As
a result, you're exiting too slow, which is obvious because you're not using all
of the track on exit, and getting sucked up off the turns.

You also need to get your body position more stable. You can't control the car
precisely if you're flopping around inside. Five or six-point belts would help
greatly in this regard.

Or you could just have someone duct tape you in place before going out on the
track... 8

-- Larry
Old October 26th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

> From the video:
>
> You're turning in too late, and not carrying enough speed through the turns. As
> a result, you're exiting too slow, which is obvious because you're not using all
> of the track on exit, and getting sucked up off the turns.

That makes sense. Was my apex too late, or just my turn in?

> You also need to get your body position more stable. You can't control the car
> precisely if you're flopping around inside. Five or six-point belts would help
> greatly in this regard.

I been meaning to address this issue, but suspension upgrades are
sexier.

> Or you could just have someone duct tape you in place before going out on the
> track... 8
>
> -- Larry

Thanks Larry,
Mack

Old October 26th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

On Oct 25, 9:04 am, "Chuck" > wrote:
> "My question is, how does someone driving a Miata "think" about driving
> around a turn?" "Momentum Car"
>
> Smoothness is a major factor. Pushing too hard into the turn causes you to
> slow down too much during the turn, and making it more difficult to get back
> the speed after the turn.

Definitely, I need to be smoother.

Thanks,
Mack

Old October 26th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
G. Mack

On Oct 25, 10:41 am, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> "Chuck" > wrote:
> > Smoothness is a major factor. Pushing too hard into the turn causes you to
> > slow down too much during the turn, and making it more difficult to get back
> > the speed after the turn.

> And related to that, anyone who's had track instruction has probably
> been scolded for "pinching" a turn--turning more sharply than necessary,
> and not using all the available road--which scrubs off speed that a
> low-powered car is hard put to regain. It's much better to brake too
> much on entry and accelerate early out of the turn, than to enter too
> fast and have to back off to avoid running out of road on exit.
>
> If you have to go slowly, do it early in the turn; the goal is maximum
> exit speed. This may be the answer to the original question: sometimes
> the racing line must be changed to exploit a particular car's strengths.
> In a stock Miata, there's seldom a problem getting all the power down or
> keeping all the wheels on the ground, so a line can be chosen that takes
> best advantage of the car's considerable grip and balance. Miatas aren't
> as bothered, e.g., by bumpy corner exits as Corvettes.
>
> Of course, all of these techniques work just as well for powerful cars,
> but they offer more opportunity to benefit from one's skill in a slow
> car that handles well.

Slow in, fast out, and don't pinch the turns. Great advice. I ready
know it's true, but getting myself to do it consistently is a
challenge.

Thanks,
Mack

Old October 26th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article . com>,
"G. Mack" > wrote:

> Slow in, fast out, and don't pinch the turns. Great advice. I ready
> know it's true, but getting myself to do it consistently is a
> challenge.

It is for me, too. It helps when an instructor keeps screaming it into
my ear. :-)

Resist the urge to hit the track solo if an instructor is available. It
*always* helps, no matter how much track time you have.

Until you install harnesses (most organizations require the same
restraints in both seats), get a CG-Lock for your OEM seatbelt. Not
perfect, but a lot better than sliding around.
Old October 26th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:06:13 -0700, "G. Mack" > wrote:

>> From the video:
>>
>> You're turning in too late, and not carrying enough speed through the turns. As
>> a result, you're exiting too slow, which is obvious because you're not using all
>> of the track on exit, and getting sucked up off the turns.

>That makes sense. Was my apex too late, or just my turn in?

Hard to tell -- I thought it was a bit inconsistent. But carrying a bit more
speed in, starting your turn in a bit earlier -- gently, and gradually
increasing steering -- and accelerating out so that you use *every inch* of the
track -- will tell you how you need to adjust your apex. If you're not using all
the track at a given turn entry speed, you need to move the apex a tad earlier
or accelerate earlier. This is really critical onto any significant straight, as
I'm sure you know.

>> You also need to get your body position more stable. You can't control the car
>> precisely if you're flopping around inside. Five or six-point belts would help
>> greatly in this regard.

>I been meaning to address this issue, but suspension upgrades are
>sexier.

Not much point to a suspension upgrade specifically for the track until you can
get the maximum out of your car as it is. 8

>> Or you could just have someone duct tape you in place before going out on the
>> track... 8

>Thanks Larry,
>Mack

Does that mean you're not going to try the duct tape? Darn...

-- Larry ('95 R)