Clearcoat cracking and peeling

Old August 30th 05, 08:18 PM
slim

Default Clearcoat cracking and peeling

Hello!

I just noticed that my '96 Civic's clearcoat was beginning
to crack and peel off at certains points.... (Damn! Its a thicker
coating that I expected!)...around the headlamps, side pass
windows, edge of wheelwells.

Is this normal?

What can I do about it short and long term?

I am not interested in looks as much as protecting the
orginal paint against rust.

Thanks in advance.

--

Donald Rumsfeld: "If you're asking if there's a direct
link between 9/11 and Iraq, the answer is no."

On May 01, 2003, President Bush declared that,
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they
say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody
an explanation. "
- George "Dubya" Bush
Old August 30th 05, 09:55 PM
T L via CarKB.com

I've never seen this happen on original paint. Are you sure its not been in
a collision and repainted?

The only way to really do it properly is to repaint. You can touch up, use
some Loctite rust treatment on bare metal, then primer, then paint.

Old August 30th 05, 11:33 PM
TeGGeR®

slim > wrote in :

> Hello!
>
> I just noticed that my '96 Civic's clearcoat was beginning
> to crack and peel off at certains points.... (Damn! Its a thicker
> coating that I expected!)...around the headlamps, side pass
> windows, edge of wheelwells.

Sounds like a lousy repaint, like TL says.

> Is this normal?

Not for factory paint.

> What can I do about it short and long term?

Repaint. Get a quote from a body shop.

> I am not interested in looks as much as protecting the
> orginal paint against rust.

If there's paint still there, it won't rust, but it will look pretty lousy.
If any parts are down to primer, put some paint on top, otherwise it will
rust.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 31st 05, 12:40 AM
SoCalMike

T L via CarKB.com wrote:
> I've never seen this happen on original paint. Are you sure its not been in
> a collision and repainted?

youve never seen OEM clearcoat delaminate? ever?
Old August 31st 05, 01:32 AM
TeGGeR®

SoCalMike > wrote in
:

> T L via CarKB.com wrote:
>> I've never seen this happen on original paint. Are you sure its not
>> been in a collision and repainted?

> youve never seen OEM clearcoat delaminate? ever?

I've seen that often on the domestics, especially GM and Chrysler, but
never on Hondas.

Old August 31st 05, 01:49 AM
T L via CarKB.com

Yeah lets see, today alone I saw it on a 01 Grand Am, an 02 Neon, a 99 F150.
Rarely do you see this on a Honda, especially when its still factory paint,
even after 10-12 years.

Old August 31st 05, 03:06 AM
slim

"T L via CarKB.com" wrote:

> I've never seen this happen on original paint. Are you sure its not been in
> a collision and repainted?

Now that you mention it, in two places there were repairs and repaints done.

> The only way to really do it properly is to repaint. You can touch up, use
> some Loctite rust treatment on bare metal, then primer, then paint.

Thanks!

Old August 31st 05, 03:07 AM
slim

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

> slim > wrote in :
>

> > Hello!
> >
> > I just noticed that my '96 Civic's clearcoat was beginning
> > to crack and peel off at certains points.... (Damn! Its a thicker
> > coating that I expected!)...around the headlamps, side pass
> > windows, edge of wheelwells.

> Sounds like a lousy repaint, like TL says.

It is happening in repaired/repainted areas.

Repaint happened six years ago,

> > What can I do about it short and long term?

> Repaint. Get a quote from a body shop.
>

> > I am not interested in looks as much as protecting the
> > orginal paint against rust.

> If there's paint still there, it won't rust, but it will look pretty lousy.
> If any parts are down to primer, put some paint on top, otherwise it will
> rust.

Thanks, TeGGeR®!

Old August 31st 05, 03:17 AM
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> SoCalMike > wrote in
> :
>

>>T L via CarKB.com wrote:
>>
>>>I've never seen this happen on original paint. Are you sure its not
>>>been in a collision and repainted?

>>youve never seen OEM clearcoat delaminate? ever?
>>

> I've seen that often on the domestics, especially GM and Chrysler, but
> never on Hondas.

i've seen it on oem hondas, but it's unusual. i wonder if there's not
one of the "oxide removal" carwash chemicals that's responsible.

Old August 31st 05, 12:55 PM
Sparky Spartacus

jim beam wrote:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> SoCalMike > wrote in
>> :

>>> youve never seen OEM clearcoat delaminate? ever?

>> I've seen that often on the domestics, especially GM and Chrysler, but
>> never on Hondas.
>>

> i've seen it on oem hondas, but it's unusual. i wonder if there's not
> one of the "oxide removal" carwash chemicals that's responsible.

Right, like the "superwash" I've seen advertised "for white cars only".
God knows what that stuff is.