Oil leaking near pushrods hopefully a seal??

Old September 24th 05, 01:10 AM
Jennie

Default Oil leaking near pushrods hopefully a seal??

Ok here goes...I am a a girl for starters so you will have to bear with
me :-)
Not sure of the correct terminology for all the parts.
I own a VW Trike and I have had H*LL with it. By the time I get it all
fixed it will be a new.
Here is the deal, I have a pretty bad oil leak. It is coming from
somewhere near the pushrods (i think) (It's above the oil pan.) Is
that a pretty bad thing? Can I just keep oil in it until I get it fixed
or is it a seal that I can replace? I have been working on this thing
all summer and I just want to RIDE it! If anyone could give me some
help I would appreciate it.
Thanks so very much.

Old September 24th 05, 05:36 PM

could be :

failed push rod tube
failed seals between case and pushrod tubes
failed seal between cylinder barrel and case
failed seal between cylinder barrel and head
failed valve cover gasket

Old September 24th 05, 08:17 PM
Wild Bill Tucker

jboothbee wrote:
"could be :
failed push rod tube
failed seals between case and pushrod tubes
failed seal between cylinder barrel and case
failed seal between cylinder barrel and head
failed valve cover gasket"

I agree with all of those possible problems except "failed seal between
cylinder barrel and head"???

If you have oil coming from that area then you have got some serious
problems!!

Oil cooler seals leaking could cause oil to
appear in and around the number 3 & 4 area.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President
Rare Air VW Club
Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

http://www.devoted.to/RareAir

or

http://community.webtv.net/stlkikn/RAREAIRVWCLUBINFO

Old September 25th 05, 07:57 AM
Busahaulic

"Jennie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok here goes...I am a a girl for starters so you will have to bear with
> me :-)
> Not sure of the correct terminology for all the parts.
> I own a VW Trike and I have had H*LL with it. By the time I get it all
> fixed it will be a new.
> Here is the deal, I have a pretty bad oil leak. It is coming from
> somewhere near the pushrods (i think) (It's above the oil pan.) Is
> that a pretty bad thing? Can I just keep oil in it until I get it fixed
> or is it a seal that I can replace? I have been working on this thing
> all summer and I just want to RIDE it! If anyone could give me some
> help I would appreciate it.
> Thanks so very much.

How about starting easy? Clean the oil pressure sending unit (idiot light
sender) and then watch it while the engine runs. Chances are it's oozing
oil.
Otherwise, clean what's there the best you can, park it straddling a ditch
or low area and crawl under while it's running and see if you can see oil
oozing out anywhere. It blows around so much it's tough to tell where it's
coming from if you don't see the source. -BaH

Question re Wheel Bearing Grease Seal Caprice85 Technology 5 September 24th 05 12:00 AM
diesel rabbit oil seal leak confirmation and seal replacement Robert Young VW water cooled 0 May 18th 05 06:19 AM
Leaking exhaust Ulf Technology 7 December 10th 04 05:12 PM
Rear main seal question Jack Dannenberg Mazda 1 December 5th 04 11:54 PM
69 qtr window seal fastback Ford Mustang 1 November 20th 04 12:52 AM