GTL reboots my machine?

Old October 13th 05, 11:09 PM
Alan Bernardo

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
news:B3e3f.550$Kp4.367@lakeread08...
> yeah and if that doesnt do it, it is your antivirus software, I have to
> create an "exception" for the EXE in the installed folder, then all was
> well... that is AFTER I went and forced SForce update, by downloading
> from a site, mentioned at Race Sim Central's GLT forum.
> Driver enlightened us with:

>>> It seems a bit backwards that we have to update their copyprotection
>>> to get the game running...
>>>
>>> -peter (didn't buy GTL because of starforce, but doubts anyone cares)
>>>

>> Yes that`s true but i had the same problem and updateing the StarForce
>> Drivers did solve it..

Believe me, when you have any doubt about anything first check any running
anti-virus software. I still contend that such software does more harm than
good, exactly the opposite of what its purpose purports to be. (And yes,
that's a pun on "ports". )

But more importantly, if anyone in the States is not aware of this, gogamer
will have the import of GTL available tomorrow, 10/14/05. The game ships in
two days. I expect my copy by next Monday or Tuesday.

Alanb

Old October 14th 05, 02:13 PM
PlowBoy

Alan,

It is worse than you think... I never used to have anything on MY PC,
except spyware checking stuff... But then again I would have bought/built 2
more PC's since the last one... SBC&Yahoo dsl package offers free
intivirus/popupblocker/spyware detector/parental controls (have a 11 year
old boy). So since he gets on here, I thought I better protect it.

That was my folly, I was not used to having it on there, I usually make them
use the older machines... and since it was new SW to me, (at work we use
Norton's Corp edition) was not anywhere near used to it...

Alan Bernardo enlightened us with:

Old October 16th 05, 06:01 PM
Alan Bernardo

Default GTL reboots my machine?

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Alan,
>
> It is worse than you think...

I realize that virus are a pretty serious problem, but it is not as bad as
those who sell protection software lead you to believe. Like a lot of
things people sell, they hype the problem to make it seem like you'd be nuts
to go without the product they want to sell.

I've always felt that virus software in particular does more harm than good.
In all my years (since 1985) of computing, I've ran into one virus. That's
it. I'll take my chances, rather than having continuous problems and
intrusive virus software harrassing me daily.

If one does the smart thing, like not opening files that are unknown, then
the problem isn't that big of a deal. Granted, I don't have any sensitive
information, I don't own a business or company, that makes it imperative to
have virus protection. I'm just me with my own stuff, which I can live
without.

And yes, I do check for spyware on a weekly basis. But spyware software
doesn't run in the background and is not intrusive, like virus software.

Alanb

Old October 17th 05, 09:51 AM
Jeff Reid

My nieces got hit with a sasser like virus that infected Internet Explorer,
caused the maching to keep shutting down after 60 seconds, (you have to
repeatedly enter a dos command "shutdown -a" to stop this), prevented
msconfig or task manager from running, and anti-virus software couldn't
find anything to fix.

Apparently you need to keep doing updates from Microsoft, the malicious
software removal tool seems to be the key update to prevent the type of
virus my nieces got, but it couldn't fix it. I had to back up their
data, and re-install Windows to get rid of this problem. There are
some types of viruses you can get by just viewing a web page if you
don't keep up with the updates with Microsoft (exploting weaknesses
in some versions of Internet Explorer).

Personally, I don't use anti-virus software, I just practice safe data.

For email, I have "read messages in plain text" set, and reply in same
format turned off, to prevent HTML stuff from launching while viewing
emails (especially when others in my family are reading their emails).

Old October 17th 05, 06:31 PM
PlowBoy

Alan,

you and I have lots in comon, I mean time online (since around '89)... Games
we like (racing), and experience with virus's I think I got a virus from a
"LAB" PC at the college once, it wiped the floppy... lost homework all
that... that is it. I have had some really nasty experiences with Spyware
though... Since I do fix many other peoples machines as a hobby & spare $
job. Like you I find if I dont go looking for trouble. But I know that the
kids dont get it. teen's machine, I have rebuilt it 3 times in 3years.
finally about gave up. needs rebuilt again (rebuilt in my terms is save
pics they have, some mp3s, format and reinstall... HP machine, LOL.

Old October 17th 05, 07:21 PM
Alan Bernardo

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Alan,
>
> you and I have lots in comon, I mean time online (since around '89)...
> Games we like (racing), and experience with virus's I think I got a virus
> from a "LAB" PC at the college once, it wiped the floppy... lost homework
> all that... that is it. I have had some really nasty experiences with
> Spyware though... Since I do fix many other peoples machines as a hobby &
> spare $ job. Like you I find if I dont go looking for trouble. But I
> know that the kids dont get it. teen's machine, I have rebuilt it 3 times
> in 3years. finally about gave up. needs rebuilt again (rebuilt in my
> terms is save pics they have, some mp3s, format and reinstall... HP
> machine, LOL.

Quite true about the spywa it will bring a machine to a crawl. I've
helped others clean out their machines, many, many a time. Teenagers are
particularly susceptible to spyware. For all their believed sophistication,
many allow spyware to completely take over their machines, without
themselves really understanding what is happening.

I think if you are careful never to open foreign email attachments and try
and update Windows regularly, viruses will stay away. As for spyware,
however, it's hard to avoid that stuff completely. So a nice clean every
week or so should do the trick.

Norton's and Symantec want people to believe otherwise, so that they can
sell their software and make a bundle of cash. I'm not buying their pitch,
however.

Alanb