California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

Old September 7th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
P. Roehling

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote

>>The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
>>pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards
>>life:
>>"I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
>>anything!"

> It's against the American way to discriminate against age, race, religion
> or
> ability when driving is concerned.

Or Usenet posting, either.

Old September 8th 07, 12:04 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Dave[_48_]

"sqidbait" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 7, 1:38 pm, "Dave" > wrote:
>> "sqidbait" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>> > You DON'T understand! It's so DIFFICULT that no
>> > HUMAN BEING could HOPE to ride it, even if they
>> > were on a BICYCLE! Hell, I bet most PEOPLE
>> > wouldn't be able to WALK it! It's all a giant
>> > PLOT between the MSF, the DMV, and HALIBURTON!

>> No, you don't understand: IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

> [snip]
>
> You may want to go re-read my post. I think
> your Sarcasometer(tm) is broken.
>
> Heck, I mentioned Haliburton FFS!

I wasn't disputing the Haliburton part. ;-)

Just gave the ol' sarcastometer a good smack, seems to be functioning
again... for now.

Old September 8th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
CS

"Jim Benson" > wrote in message
. net...
<snip>
> Again, don't take MY word for it ... let's get someone in the DMV to just
> produce the public record which should lay all this discussion to rest in
> split second. And, I already know what the results are having watched many
> a test, and never a person pass.

You can easily file a FOIA, or Freedom Of Information Act, request with the
DMV. Since statistics by themselves don't show anything classified or
private, the DMV would be compelled to produce these records.

Not sure why you require someone else to do it.

CS

Old September 8th 07, 08:51 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Alan Moore

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:39:02 -0700, "P. Roehling" >
wrote:

>"pinbob" > wrote
>
>>I would like to collect in one place for a friend and all new friends out
>> there the very hidden California DMV motorcycle and driving tests,
>> completely and fairly.

>"Very hidden"? They didn't hide anything from me. Just asked me to answer
>the questions on the written exam and then demonstrate some basic riding
>skills. I answered the questions correctly, demonstrated the skills, and
>that was all there was to it.

That was my experience as well.

>> As you all know, the California Motorcycle Riding Test is nearly
>> impossible
>> to pass when done on your own

>Uh, no, I passed it on my first try, no problems.

I took too tries. The oversized handlebars on my Guzzi 850 T3 hit my
knees so I couldn't make the circle first try. I had to do it again,
riding one-handed and sitting in the pillion position. The examiner
agreed with me that it was pretty silly, but there were no secrets...

>> (everyone passes when they are the sole judge
>> but almost everyone on a big bike fails because the test is well known to
>> be ridiculous and only for the purpose of funneling money to the MSF
>> "BasicRider" class which is a scam in and of itself).

Actually, the MSF course was more difficult to get through than the
DMV test, and more relevant to actual motorcycling on the public
roads. And it was cheap enough that nobody much was making any money
out of it.

>Bull****. The test isn't particularly difficult, and if you can't pass it
>you shouldn't be out there riding on the streets. That's why they want you
>to take the MSF: because you need lessons if you can't pass the test. (And
>if you think the civilian test is tough, I'd hate to hear your opinion about
>the CHP's motor-officer riding tests, which make the tests *we* take look
>like a walk in the park.)

A very short walk in a very pleasant park.

>> Worse than being impossible, the California DMV absolutely REFUSES to tell
>> you what the test is, even if you fail one of the four parts, they won't
>> tell you what the next part is - and you only get three tries overall.
>>
>> So, the ONLY way to know what the text actually consists of is to get it
>> HERE!
>> http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/dmv_moto_test.pdf
>>
>> Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test, (snip)

>Where did you ever get that idea? I simply went down to the DMV parking lot
>after they closed one day and spent a few minutes riding around inside the
>lines of the painted circle to see how hard it would be.
>It wasn't very difficult, and there's nobody there to stop you.

Yeah. They'l ask you to leave if they're actually administering tests,
but otherwise...

>> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

>Or, alternatively, they *could* learn to ride *before* they try to take the
>test rather than whining about how "impossible" or "ridiculous" it is.

Uh, that would be too simple for some.

Al Moore
DoD 734
Old September 8th 07, 08:53 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Alan Moore

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:21:11 -0700, Timberwoof
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Timberwoof > wrote:
>
>> Hah. They forbid you practicing the test on their course.

>Hah. They don't, after all, based on what others have written.

I believe there is, or was, a formal prohibition, but it probalby has
more to do with liability in case of an accident than anything else.
In any case, when there's no one in the office, there's no one to tell
you to leave.

Al Moore
DoD 734
Old September 10th 07, 04:45 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
noname[_2_]

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests (anti-lock brakes coming)

pinbob > wrote:

>Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

I flunked the last (not California) riding test twice because my bike
has anti-lock brakes (an additional safety feature) which grab easily
at slow speeds, forcing me to put one or both feet down. The examiner
allowed no exception for this, even though the owners manual states
this is fairly typical behavior for anti-lock brakes. The only
solution was to rent a motorcycle for the test, something I was only
able to do because my out-of-state drivers license was still valid at
the time.

noname
Old September 11th 07, 01:06 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Rich

noname wrote:
> pinbob > wrote:
>> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

> I flunked the last (not California) riding test twice because my bike
> has anti-lock brakes (an additional safety feature) which grab easily
> at slow speeds, forcing me to put one or both feet down. The examiner
> allowed no exception for this, even though the owners manual states
> this is fairly typical behavior for anti-lock brakes. The only
> solution was to rent a motorcycle for the test, something I was only
> able to do because my out-of-state drivers license was still valid at
> the time.
>
> noname

I suppose that worked, but I thought that there was a way to turn off
the ABS when starting the engine.
Old September 11th 07, 02:16 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Rich > wrote:
>noname wrote:
>> pinbob > wrote:
>>> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

>> I flunked the last (not California) riding test twice because my bike
>> has anti-lock brakes (an additional safety feature) which grab easily
>> at slow speeds, forcing me to put one or both feet down. The examiner
>> allowed no exception for this, even though the owners manual states
>> this is fairly typical behavior for anti-lock brakes. The only
>> solution was to rent a motorcycle for the test, something I was only
>> able to do because my out-of-state drivers license was still valid at
>> the time.

>I suppose that worked, but I thought that there was a way to turn off
>the ABS when starting the engine.

With safety features like this, it's a wonder you haven't been killed.
Pull the ABS relay before taking the test. Then maybe leave it off....
--scott
Old September 11th 07, 11:48 PM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
M. MacDonald

Cripes!

Just take whatever bike you got down to the DMV on a Sunday and practice.
It's really easy.

Mack

Old September 12th 07, 04:51 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech,rec.motorcycles
Johnney Rocket

On 11 Sep 2007 09:16:34 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> I flunked the last (not California) riding test twice because my bike
>>> has anti-lock brakes (an additional safety feature) which grab easily
>>> at slow speeds, forcing me to put one or both feet down.

Huh? Is this true? I have a K1200 with ABS and I never notice it.
The bike just brakes the way it's supposed to.

I'm sure if I did a 100mph to zero they might kick in, but I've never
noticed the ABS kicking in at the zero to 3mph speeds that it takes for a
lollipop test.

Can someone else with ABS confirm that they kick in at such low speeds?

I can't even imagine stopping "sooner" than expected and therefore having
to put my feet down when I didn't mean to stop. When I wish to go slowly, I
just go slowly.