GT4 - A First Look

Old March 12th 05, 06:39 AM
Joe62

"Steve Smith" > wrote:

>And I suppose if Oldsmobile had asked you in 1939 whether they should put
>self-starters in automobiles, you would have taken a horse & buggy Luddite
>view that electric gizmos like that were just more tinfoil in yer hat.

This discussion is just getting silly now. All I've done is presented
the business facts of software development and sales of online console
games.

Joe62
Old March 12th 05, 12:36 PM
Steve Smith

The publishers wised up...aside from the two biggest console publishers on
the planet who control 90 percent of the market! I have my doubts about
Sony, but I don't rate Microsoft as stupid.

Old March 12th 05, 01:45 PM

Nintendo has figured out that they can not compete with Sony and
Microsoft in the traditional games market and are looking for
alternative, less competitive markets. Which leaves them the handheld
market (for now). Everything they are doing and plan on in the short
term revolve around the handheld. Their WiFi network is all about
mobile products. Even their next gen console is rumoured to be nothing
more than an extension of their mobile products. So no, Nintendo is
not developing the "best online technology". They're developing
something new, something different and hoping it catches on with the
kids. The market is ready for online play, but Nintendo doesn't see
their future online.

Whether it makes economic sense to include online play is another
question. I don't think it's necessarily true for all games, but I do
believe that at this point in time, it is very important to include it
in flagship titles. Titles that are traditionally system sellers and
titles that can expand the online market. An online component is huge
for sports and role playing games.

Old March 12th 05, 02:27 PM
Steve Smith

Online play (for games that should have it) is part of the price of
admission. Without it is like trying to sell a car w/o airbags. Yes, some
people would opt out, but most people want them even if they have no
intention of ever using them.

oups.com...

Old March 12th 05, 04:01 PM
Joe62

" > wrote:

>Nintendo has figured out that they can not compete with Sony and
>Microsoft in the traditional games market and are looking for
>alternative, less competitive markets. Which leaves them the handheld
>market (for now). Everything they are doing and plan on in the short
>term revolve around the handheld. Their WiFi network is all about
>mobile products. Even their next gen console is rumoured to be nothing
>more than an extension of their mobile products.

The above statements are incorrect. Nintendo has just released the
first details of their next console. It is very similar to PS3/XBox2
aerchitecture, except that it will also feature free Internet play via
WIFI:

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7359

Joe62
Old March 12th 05, 04:07 PM
Joe62

"Steve Smith" > wrote:

>The publishers wised up...aside from the two biggest console publishers on
>the planet who control 90 percent of the market! I have my doubts about
>Sony, but I don't rate Microsoft as stupid.

Not sure what you mean by "control the market"? They have more
influence than anyone else yes, but they don't fund more than maybe 5%
of game development. So when it comes time to pay for the online
feature in 95% of games, it's the EA/THQ/Ubisoft/Activisions who make
the call. They are the ones paying for game development. And note the
strongest proponent of online amoung these is EA, who has their own
lont-term motive of hooking people into their own gaming network ...
they wouldn't be doing it either if it was a matter of looking at
cost/profit of individual projects, the way smaller publishers and
developers have to look at it.

Joe62
Old March 12th 05, 06:21 PM

>From Nintendo VP Reggie Fils-Aime

"Now, our system will truly be powerful. ATI and IBM are fantastic
partners, they make fantastic products, and certainly Revolution will
be substantially more powerful than all of the systems on the market
today. But that's only part of the story. It's really is all about
pushing the four vectors that Mr. Iwata touched on. It's pushing on
innovation, it's pushing on the interface, it's pushing on the
intuitive nature of the system and making it inviting, making it
applicable not only for the core consumer but for the casual consumer
as well."

Trust me, this is marketing talk for "we're moving in another
direction". What's the big deal with WiFi? It's not like the next
Sony and Microsoft consoles won't support WiFi. It is just wireless
networking. The difference is that Nintendo is (apart from calling it
free) tying it to thier handhelds. Nintendo needs to find a niche,
because they're days in the conventional (set-top box) console market
are coming to an end. That is, unless they find a way to hold on.

Old March 13th 05, 05:29 PM
Joe62

" > wrote:

>Trust me, this is marketing talk for "we're moving in another
>direction". What's the big deal with WiFi?

Whats the big deal? Without it, console Internet gaming won't hit the
mainstream for another five years, that's the big deal. Living rooms
aren't wired.

>It's not like the next
>Sony and Microsoft consoles won't support WiFi.

Hopefully. We'll see.

Joe62
Old March 14th 05, 02:56 AM

Joe62 wrote:

> Whats the big deal? Without it, console Internet gaming won't hit the
> mainstream for another five years, that's the big deal. Living rooms
> aren't wired.

And I still don't see WiFi in a console as all that exciting news. My
XBox is wireless. Plugs into a wireless hub. It's not a huge leap
forward in console design unless it's a mobile product. Which is why
Nintendo is making a fuss about wifi. They're handhelds are going to
be able on the sport, local area networks, where kids can network their
handhelds and play games. And Nintendo can call it "free' wifi all
they want. They have no control over the "free' part. That's up to
Starbucks, T*Mobile, and every other wifi provider.

Old March 18th 05, 08:12 PM

I Just started Playing GT4 and the part that really has me puzzled
about GT4 is the Photo Mode.
Like you said "Take a photo and...? I really don't see the need for
this Feature at all... So you can save you photos and show friends? it
really make no sense to me. But the Game itself is alot like GT3 And
being a former GT3 Player there is alot more here but to see it all you
will have to drive Alot!