U.S. $3500-4500 cash for clunkers program

Old May 9th 09, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech

Default U.S. $3500-4500 cash for clunkers program

I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?

"Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds
the old car's by four miles per gallon."

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news...ion=2009050518

Old May 9th 09, 06:07 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech

AKA Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save program.

Now I don't see the < 18 mpg requirement on the Sutton page:
http://sutton.house.gov/news/story.cfm?id=218

Looks like there are different approaches being discussed. For
example, Sutton, Feinstein, Collins, Schumer-Israel, and other
approaches that put different requirements on the trade-ins. (old
vehicles > 8 years old, new trucks > 24mpg, cars > 27mpg, etc).

Old May 9th 09, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_45_]

On May 9, 12:55*pm, wrote:
> I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?
>
> "Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
> old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
> use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds
> the old car's by four miles per gallon."
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news..._clunkers/inde...

This isn't law yet. It hasn't passed either house nor has Obama signed
it.

So the details may change.

It is only for cars and trucks that have been registered for more than
119 days and in drivable condition and from before the model year
2001.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h111-1550

The bill could be greatly improved. It should allow powertrain
components to be reused, specific decreases in the number of gallons
of fuel burned per hundred miles driven (rather specific increases in
MPG) and allow me to trade in my old car.

Jeff

Jeff
Old May 9th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
CharlesTheCurmudgeon[_2_]

> wrote in message
>I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?
>
> "Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
> old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
> use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds
> the old car's by four miles per gallon."
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news...ion=2009050518

This is a joke, right?

In the Chicago area we hear ads on the radio for donating old cars all the
time now, including the jack-off that sings "1-877-Kars-For-Kids" all the
time. That, plus an emissions program that is designed to fail cars as soon
as possible after 4 years, is designed to get people to stay in debt buying
cars is already in place.

Me, I'm driving a 14 year old Corolla. They made a change in the rules, no
car prior to 1996 has to be emissions inspected anymore. So I continue to
drive my old Corolla. I own it.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Old May 9th 09, 07:34 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Canuck57[_3_]

Can I buy a imported Honda or Toyota with it?

Old May 9th 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford
Canuck57[_3_]

Imagine, say 20 million people take Obama up on it, puts the US taxapyer on
the hook for another $100 billion. Not including interest becasue so far
Obama is charging it, and that means interest and inflation not yet
included.

Hopefully a bond holder will save United States of America from this
corruption and get a quick into bankruptcy for GM. Plus, I am absolutely
sure bond holders will get a much better deal in disolving GM than less than
one cent on the dollar.

GM is a paracite. Time to shoot it dead. Don't buy a GM, it supports
crime.

Old May 9th 09, 08:31 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

CharlesTheCurmudgeon wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?
>>
>> "Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
>> old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
>> use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds
>> the old car's by four miles per gallon."
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news...ion=2009050518
>>

> This is a joke, right?
>
> In the Chicago area we hear ads on the radio for donating old cars all the
> time now, including the jack-off that sings "1-877-Kars-For-Kids" all the
> time. That, plus an emissions program that is designed to fail cars as soon
> as possible after 4 years, is designed to get people to stay in debt buying
> cars is already in place.
>
> Me, I'm driving a 14 year old Corolla. They made a change in the rules, no
> car prior to 1996 has to be emissions inspected anymore. So I continue to
> drive my old Corolla. I own it.
>
> Charles the Curmudgeon

I quite agree, the whole concept is a crock, just like the similar
program in California was a few years back. Is the decreased pollution
from the new car greater or lesser than the increased pollution from
making another new vehicle to replace a serviceable vehicle? (Not to
mention the sin of junking a collectible car, in some cases, just
because it is old.) Most clunkers can be made 98% as non-polluting as a
new car, with a few hundred dollars in repairs. It is an asymptotic
curve- those last few percentage points cost as much as all the
improvements before them. Better to give away free tuneup coupons to
everyone- it'd probably be more improvement to the air at a much lower
cost.

Call a spade a spade- this is welfare for the car companies and
vote-buying from the people that would get the rebates, nothing more.
And they are doing it with MY money, as usual.

--
aem sends...
Old May 9th 09, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
News

Conscience wrote:
> On 2009-05-09 12:31:30 -0700, aemeijers > said:
>
>> Call a spade a spade- this is welfare for the car companies and
>> vote-buying from the people that would get the rebates, nothing more.
>> And they are doing it with MY money, as usual.

> No more than this needs to be said.

So go buy a beater and play the game. Get some of "your" money back.
Old May 9th 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford
Canuck57[_3_]

"aemeijers" > wrote in message
> CharlesTheCurmudgeon wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?
>>>
>>> "Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
>>> old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
>>> use toward the purchase of new cars that get gas mileage that exceeds
>>> the old car's by four miles per gallon."
>>>
>>> http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news...ion=2009050518
>>>

>> This is a joke, right?
>>
>> In the Chicago area we hear ads on the radio for donating old cars all
>> the time now, including the jack-off that sings "1-877-Kars-For-Kids" all
>> the time. That, plus an emissions program that is designed to fail cars
>> as soon as possible after 4 years, is designed to get people to stay in
>> debt buying cars is already in place.
>>
>> Me, I'm driving a 14 year old Corolla. They made a change in the rules,
>> no car prior to 1996 has to be emissions inspected anymore. So I
>> continue to drive my old Corolla. I own it.
>>
>> Charles the Curmudgeon

> I quite agree, the whole concept is a crock, just like the similar program
> in California was a few years back. Is the decreased pollution from the
> new car greater or lesser than the increased pollution from making another
> new vehicle to replace a serviceable vehicle? (Not to mention the sin of
> junking a collectible car, in some cases, just because it is old.) Most
> clunkers can be made 98% as non-polluting as a new car, with a few hundred
> dollars in repairs. It is an asymptotic curve- those last few percentage
> points cost as much as all the improvements before them. Better to give
> away free tuneup coupons to everyone- it'd probably be more improvement to
> the air at a much lower cost.
>
> Call a spade a spade- this is welfare for the car companies and
> vote-buying from the people that would get the rebates, nothing more. And
> they are doing it with MY money, as usual.

And talk to friends, let them know. The more people who toss out the
senator or congress person for voting for this corruption, the better. It
asserts voter control of an out of control corruption fest on the taxpayer.

Those sitting in congress and the senate that have done anything less than
to stand up to this corruption need to be replaced. Ditto Canadian MPs.....

It is either that or passively let the economic liberty suffer even more.

Old May 9th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford
Canuck57[_3_]

"Conscience" > wrote in message
> On 2009-05-09 12:31:30 -0700, aemeijers > said:
>
>> Call a spade a spade- this is welfare for the car companies and
>> vote-buying from the people that would get the rebates, nothing more. And
>> they are doing it with MY money, as usual.

> No more than this needs to be said.
>
> --
> "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: 'It connected in
> one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the
> principles of Christianity.' " -- John Adams

Not much Christianity left in government. I think god wanted people to
repect each other. Now that the tax system is used to steal from people by
corrupt auto, perhaps another revolution is required? If nothing else so
the majority is heard and not herd.

And shutting up about it is what the plutocrats and corrupt want. But some
of us will not comply, GM is a company of theives who don't pay their bills
but expect others too. Just a bunch of whiny welchers.

People should write their representatives and tell them to cut the bailout
corruption or else.