Ongoing issue with my 2000 - Any ideas please

Old September 29th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_4_]

Default Ongoing issue with my 2000 - Any ideas please

This keep happening to me. The car starts and it runs really rough and
runs really rich from the exhaust smell. I think a cylinder is not
firing. Engine check light goes on. After a minute or so the car
levels out and runs fine. The other night I could not get it to run
smooth. Left it over night and the next moring it started up
fine. There is no pattern and every time I bring it to the garage they
can never get it to fail. The engine check code only indicates a miss
fire but not the cause. Anyone have anything like this happen?? The
plug wires and plugs are only a few months old. It's getting to be a
real drag wondering if my car will run right or not everyday

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old September 30th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Rohleder

Scott,

Just because the wires and plugs are new doesn't mean they couldn't be
defective. If a plug is indeed not firing, close inspection should reveal
one that is fouled or looks different than the other 3. If so, that's the
path you need to follow - plug, wire, connections, etc. Possibly even an
injector could be leaking or dirty.
--
Boreal
2001 LS 6 speed Silver/tan, Sport Suspension w/hard rear sway bar

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old September 30th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

this should be an interesting read...
http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html
if you had fouled plugs and put in new cables without changing the plugs you
may have damaged the new cables... but assuming that you put in new cables
and plugs at the same time then your problem is likely is something else.
one suspect part of the ignition system is the coil pack. i don't know if
the problematic ones were restricted to 99 but it seems to be the next thing
to investigate... when bad they are known to work fine sometimes and
miserably others which sounds like what you are experiencing. if the
problem was something like a timing belt that jumped a tooth then the
performance would be awful all of the time. some reading in the garage
section of miata.net might help give you more insight on the coil pack
issue. good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old October 1st 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

Had the same symptoms-- No start, crank ok--nostart, backfire, start, run
rough for short time. And all was intermittent!
Cause on my 99 was flakey cam positon sensor.

There is another cause for crank ok, no start that I also ran across on the
same 99. A weak battery may put out enough current to crank just a bit
slower than normal, and not have enough voltage under the starter load to
operate the ECU properly. The ECU protests by not providing ignition pulses.

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old October 9th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter

Well I got the coil packs replaced ($305 installed) and it's been fine
so far. Hopefully that was it....

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 06:08 PM
Jetta: 1999 GL TDI versus 2000 GLS (buying) Cymen Vig VW water cooled 6 February 28th 05 10:48 PM
2000 Contour - Last plea before taking to dealer Craig Williams Technology 1 January 3rd 05 11:49 PM
Follow-up: 2000 Contour miss and Check Engine Light Craig Williams Technology 1 December 31st 04 06:00 AM
'98 Ex Vs. 2000 Ex Simon H Ford Explorer 1 December 12th 04 08:48 PM