Thinking about a new(er) VW

Old June 18th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
MasterChifa

Default Thinking about a new(er) VW

At the moment I drive a 91 vw golf 1.8 GL. I'll be graduating soon,
and I've been keeping my eyes open for a new car. I keep on looking,
but the more I look, the more I'm realizing I really just want a nicer
version of my car, but with a better engine & suspension. Now that
I've realized this, I think I'd like to get an older GTI/TDI and use
the money I save not buying a newer car to fix/upgrade it. I'm on the
fence about gas/diesel.

That said, I was hoping to get some input...
->Year?
Are there any really good years I should watch for, or really bad
years I should stay away from?
I've done some reading and it sounds like the mid 90's gti's weren't
so reliable. (I like the A4 models)
(There's an '02 VR6 at a dealer I'm going to check out this weekend,
although I won't be buying for some time)

->GTI VR6/TDI/1.8T? Any comments about how difficult they are to work
on? Reliability?
My '91 is really easy to work on. Most things are easy to get to, and
parts are common/cheap.

->One of the reasons that I'm looking to replace my '91 is that I just
don't feel certain about her. I've had her for five years now, but I
have always have that feeling that something could go wrong at any
moment. I'm looking for a car that doesn't give me that feeling.

thanks,
-Matt
Old June 18th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

The year, model, engine combos vary in reliability like any carline. First
year after adoption cars have a lot of bugs that get worked out in
subsequent years. But the VR6 is especially annoying to work on due to
clearance issues (specifically thge front and right side where you cant even
get your hand in to check something).

Old June 30th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Have a mechanic look at your '91 thoroughly and give you their opinion.
Spend a little money on it updating tired components on it and have the
interior and exterior detailed. ;-)

Some of those second generation Golfs are fantastic and will go beyond
250,000 miles without any "major" engine problems.
I feel if the body is in great shape then you can keep it alive and keep it
in good reliable shape.

The third generation Golf/Jettas are good too!
I see a 1997 GTI with VR6 that is doing quite well and the owner still loves
it with 140,000 miles on it with no engine or transmission issues. It did
need a Engine Speed Sensor and Coil pack in its 12 years.

I have seen a 2001 GTI with VR6 that has had the hinges crack off of the
driver's door, timing chains replaced, 5 speed transmission problems, $500
Coilpack repaired, wheel bearing problems, seat adjusting cables snapping
and maybe some more problems and it did not even have 50,000 miles on it.
The 2 door models have such heavy doors that IMHO caused the cracking.
Engine oil needs to be changed due to time or mileage whichever comes first.
Transmission problems occur!
I will admit that I do like the look of the '01 over the '97, but I am lazy
and don't like to work too hard nor spend too much $$$ either. lol

Bottom line is.................what do you want from a newer VW and how do
you plan to use it?
All VWs like long trips but of course the TDI will get you better mpg, but
gas engines could be a lot faster. ;-)

JMHO
--
later,