Front brake issues, 1992 Miata

Old April 30th 05, 01:17 AM

Default Front brake issues, 1992 Miata

Well, the brake pads (actually pad) were making a grinding noise on the
left front, so I ordered fresh pads and rotors (Hawk HPS pads, brembo
rotors from tirerack.com) and went to install them today. But it
appears I have more serious issues than just the pads. Here's the
situation:

Left side, caliper pins are badly pitted and corroded. Some of the
anti-rattle clips are missing, and the inner pad was worn to the
backing plate (with damage to the inner surface of the rotor), but the
outer pad had about half the thickness of the new pads left in friction
material. Obviously the caliper pins had seized and only the inner pad
was wearing.

So, I'm guessing I need new slider pins and new anti-rattle clips for
this side.

Right side, upper caliper pin is partly threaded out of the caliper,
but seized solid in the caliper carrier. It won't budge at all. Caliper
is also leaking fluid and the pads had half their friction material
remaining, maybe more.

So I'm guessing I need a rebuild kit (seals and dustboot) for the
caliper, and at least new pins for the caliper. I might need a new
carrier as well.

What's the best source for these parts? I generally rebuild both
calipers if I have a leak. Are seal/boot kits available to rebuild the
calipers? And what about the pins and the carrier pieces? Are those
dealer only items? or would my local parts places (Napa? CarQuest?)
have the right parts?

--
Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT
1992 Mazda Miata (doesn't look bad for a car that's been hit by an 18
wheeler)
1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy)
1995 Ford Escort (Currently resting in pieces)
1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer)
1988 Mazda RX-7 (maybe for sale, offers considered)
1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])