Crazy Car Alarm '99.5 A4 1.8T

Old September 1st 04, 04:22 AM
Dan

Default Crazy Car Alarm '99.5 A4 1.8T

Anybody aware of an alternate location for a switch to turn off the theft
alarm internal sensor? My manual says such a switch exists in the doorwell,
in case you keep pets in the car or something. But my 99.5 A4 1.8T does not
have a switch where the manual says there should be.

The alarm goes off sometimes after locking up, especially on hot days (the
dash materials expand/contract slightly with temperature variations and
trigger the alarm).

Thanks

Old September 1st 04, 05:14 AM
daytripper

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:22:35 -0700, "Dan" > wrote:

>Anybody aware of an alternate location for a switch to turn off the theft
>alarm internal sensor? My manual says such a switch exists in the doorwell,
>in case you keep pets in the car or something. But my 99.5 A4 1.8T does not
>have a switch where the manual says there should be.
>
>The alarm goes off sometimes after locking up, especially on hot days (the
>dash materials expand/contract slightly with temperature variations and
>trigger the alarm).

I don't think it's in the door well proper, I think it's at the bottom of the
B-pillar. I have the same switch on my S4, it wasn't easily found and in fact
I can't remember exactly where I did find it (and the damned Bentley CD says
the location is found via the owner's manual - which is outside right now)...
Old September 1st 04, 10:33 AM
Pete

Użytkownik "Dan" wrote

> The alarm goes off sometimes after locking up, especially on hot days (the
> dash materials expand/contract slightly with temperature variations and
> trigger the alarm).

As daytripper mentioned, the button is located on the bottom of the left
b-pillar - the one between the driver's and rear passenger's doors.
However, I find it hard to believe that expanding/contracting dash materials
cause the alarm to go off. LOL!

Nonetheless, the motion sensor itself may be faulty causing the alarm to go
off for no reason so disabling it with the b-pillar button may in fact take
care of that.

Cheers,

Pete

Old September 1st 04, 11:18 AM
Alec

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Anybody aware of an alternate location for a switch to turn off the theft
> alarm internal sensor? My manual says such a switch exists in the
> doorwell,
> in case you keep pets in the car or something. But my 99.5 A4 1.8T does
> not
> have a switch where the manual says there should be.
>
> The alarm goes off sometimes after locking up, especially on hot days (the
> dash materials expand/contract slightly with temperature variations and
> trigger the alarm).
>
> Thanks

Hi Dan. I had the same problem in my '98. Took it to Audi and they diagnosed
a failing Motion CU, Ł250, because both left and right sensors were giving
spurious signal. However I bought a VAG-COM package and isolated the problem
to one sensor and managed to find a spare on eBay. You will probably find,
as I did, that if you re-plug the cable to the sensor the fault goes away
for a while.
If you look at the flashing led on the door you can see the failure. The led
lights solidly after a second or twos flashing. This is described in the
handbook.
Rgds
Alec

---

Old September 1st 04, 11:15 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:14:23 GMT, daytripper >
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:22:35 -0700, "Dan" > wrote:
>
>>Anybody aware of an alternate location for a switch to turn off the theft
>>alarm internal sensor? My manual says such a switch exists in the doorwell,
>>in case you keep pets in the car or something. But my 99.5 A4 1.8T does not
>>have a switch where the manual says there should be.
>>
>>The alarm goes off sometimes after locking up, especially on hot days (the
>>dash materials expand/contract slightly with temperature variations and
>>trigger the alarm).

>I don't think it's in the door well proper, I think it's at the bottom of the
>B-pillar. I have the same switch on my S4, it wasn't easily found and in fact
>I can't remember exactly where I did find it (and the damned Bentley CD says
>the location is found via the owner's manual - which is outside right now)...

Found it again on the morning commute - it actually is right there in the open
on the lower B pillar about 12" above the carpet.

If I recall correctly you have to press the button each time you want to lock
up the car to disable the internal motion sensors - it's not persistent beyond
one lock-unlock cycle...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old September 2nd 04, 12:02 AM
Dan

Found it! I was looking more in the doorwell itself and the button is
actually on the inside of the car. I've had this car over 5 years and never
knew that button was there! ; )
Thanks, again.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:06 AM
Dan

> However, I find it hard to believe that expanding/contracting dash
materials
> cause the alarm to go off. LOL!

Believe it or not that's what the dealer told me a couple of years ago.
They adjusted the sensitivity of the alarm and it went away for a while.
But it came back recently.

Now that I've found the switch, I'll just try it for awhile when it's hot
and sunny outside - it's funny, but that's when it seems to happen. Nothing
like coming out of the store to find your car blaring at you like a dog
that's glad you're home!

Old September 2nd 04, 09:00 AM
Ken Stewart

We had the same problem on an A3 and the dealer suggested closing all air
vents on the dash in hot weather as air movement could cause the alarm to
trigger.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:17 PM
Pete

"Pete" wrote
> While we're on the subject of factory alarms - should the alarm go off if
> you hit the car - i.e. hit the windshield hard with your fist or jump on

the
> hood? :-)

Nevermind. I think I found my answer. There's no outside shock sensor in
the factory alarm.

Cheers,

Pete

Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
156 Alarm System Martyn Alfa Romeo 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM
Alfa 156 2001 alarm deactivation in the UK? Bruce Alfa Romeo 3 August 31st 04 10:47 PM
Audi A4 Alarm System Henri Winterman Audi 9 August 7th 04 07:40 PM
'00 A6 Alarm System odd behavior Glenn Spence Audi 5 August 3rd 04 06:44 PM