2001 Accord Coupe Rear Rotor Replacement

Old November 30th 04, 02:04 AM
John Ings

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:11:28 GMT, Lucas Tam >
wrote:

>> It's rust.
>>
>> Lack of driving is what does it. Very common, especially in Northern
>> US states and southern Canada. The absolute worst is when you drive
>> the car in the snow or rain, then park it in a garage. That salt-laden
>> moisture then takes a long time to evaporate and munches away at metal
>> like crazy.

>I did notice the rust build ups... I used to go away to school during the
>week and I would leave my car at home. On the weekends I would notice a
>thin layer of rust - and after driving the rust would be gone. I didn't
>think much of it at the time, but I did wonder how much material was being
>stripped away and the effects on the car... I guess I now know.

Rust doesn't happen when its cold. All chemical action slows down at
low temperatures. The rusting occurs as temperatures rise above
freezing. Heated garages are murder on cars that have to drive on
salt-laden roads. Leave it outside if you can.

Old November 30th 04, 03:03 AM
Randolph

Lucas Tam wrote:

> The service tech was a bit surprised himself I needed to replacement them.
> He said that rotors last between 60,000KM - 120,000KM and I caught the low
> end. He also said because I leave the car in the garage for a couple days
> at a time, rust may have built up and caused premature wear. In anycase, he
> didn't have an idea why they would wear out so quickly... just bad luck he
> said?
>
> Any other ideas?

I think the rust explanation seems plausible. I am just particularly
paranoid about dealerships and brake jobs. At service, my local dealer
told me that the front pads were down to 2 mm and had to be replaced. I
told them no, thinking I'd do the job myself for less. After taking out
the old pads, I was not able to measure less than 7 mm anywhere. And
yes, I know to measure only the lining, not the whole pad.
Old November 30th 04, 03:03 AM
Randolph

Old November 30th 04, 03:38 AM
jim beam

TeGGer® wrote:
> Randolph > floridly penned in
> :
>

>>My '94 Civic with 168 000 km on it still has the original rotors front
>>and back. Having the rotors out at 58 000 km seems strange.

> Strange only if you've never seen the horrors of rust.
> Take a look at these 4-year old rotors:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html
>
> Do yours look like that?

hideous. that thing needs to be hosed off every time it comes home from
the salt. i used to do that with my old rust buckets when i lived in
that kind of climate - always proplnged their lives significantly.

Old November 30th 04, 03:38 AM
jim beam

Old November 30th 04, 04:15 AM
SoCalMike

>> Strange only if you've never seen the horrors of rust.
>> Take a look at these 4-year old rotors:
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html

i noticed a lot of use of emory cloth... why not use a fine bristled
wire brush in a drill? i figure as long as the bristles are fine, it
shouldnt do any harm to all that cast iron and steel. dont wanna use it
around the rubber seals, however
Old November 30th 04, 04:15 AM
SoCalMike