The Good, The Bad And The Ugly From Shelby

Old November 8th 04, 04:12 AM
Patrick

Default The Good, The Bad And The Ugly From Shelby

First the bad news. It looks like Shelby's first new high-performance
Ford will be a sport... I'm sorry, performance utility vehicle (PUV).
The 550-horsepower vehicle will be based on a Ford Expedition, but
will have the motor from the Ford GT supercar, 22-inch wheels,
upgraded brakes/exhaust, a 5-speed automatic and a bunch of electronic
gear.

Okay, now here's the good. Looks like a F-150 version may follow.
Which is good since Ford recently shelved the next generation
Lightning pickup. (Hmmm...maybe this is why.)

More good news. Shelby IS reportedly working on a new Shelby Mustang.
Shelby says that a track version will be built first and will kick a
bunch of ass on the race track. Then a street version will follow.
Cool, huh?

Ready for the ugly? The high-performance Expedition will carry a
price tag of... please sit down so you won't hurt yourself when you
fall over... $110,000. <pass the smelling salts> So what does that
mean for the Shelby F-150? I don't know, but more than 80 grand
sounds like a possiblity. And the price tag on a new Shelby Mustang?
Let's just say if you have to ask you probably won't be able to afford
it. And if that ends up being the case, I hope everyone built rots
away on a showroom floor.

(Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD
Old November 8th 04, 01:19 PM
SVTKate

"Patrick" > wrote
*snipped*

| (Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
| Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
| so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)
|
| Patrick
| '93 Cobra
| '83 LTD

Yea... what he said.

$110k for an Expedition... I think I'm gonna throw up.

Kate

Old November 8th 04, 01:54 PM
cobra boy

well don't throw up in it. It will cost $25k to clean it up. lol
ex cobra boy 97 convert deceased
ink.net...

Old November 8th 04, 02:53 PM
SVTKate

LOL!!! Yep, you're right!

"cobra boy" > wrote in message
| well don't throw up in it. It will cost $25k to clean it up. lol
| ex cobra boy 97 convert deceased
| "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| ink.net...
| >
| > "Patrick" > wrote
| > *snipped*
| >
| > | (Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
| > | Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
| > | so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)
| > |

Old November 8th 04, 04:04 PM
Dan

"Patrick" > wrote in message
m...
> First the bad news. It looks like Shelby's first new high-performance
> Ford will be a sport... I'm sorry, performance utility vehicle (PUV).
> The 550-horsepower vehicle will be based on a Ford Expedition, but
> will have the motor from the Ford GT supercar, 22-inch wheels,
> upgraded brakes/exhaust, a 5-speed automatic and a bunch of electronic
> gear.
>
> Okay, now here's the good. Looks like a F-150 version may follow.
> Which is good since Ford recently shelved the next generation
> Lightning pickup. (Hmmm...maybe this is why.)

It's probably part of the reason. I know someone who participated in an SVT
briefing at SEMA and the story on the Lightning right now is that they are
in the position of having to certifiy a different transmission for the power
output they were looking for. The current auto tranny, according to this
breifing, cannot reliably handle their test output. Whatever that may mean,
whether or not that is just a smoke screen, Ford is said to have used it as
a "final straw" to kill the Lightning. I suspect that between simple pulley
swaps, towing heavy things, and smooth shifting, someone decided the 4R100
and/or 5R110 wouldn't take it long enough. I believe those are pretty damn
stout trannys so that sounds like someone needed a reason and made one up
but maybe those trannys aren't as strong as I thought.

Anyway, add that information to this information, and I can see a bean
counter nodding to let a higher priced, new unit take over the Lightning
market for the moment.

> More good news. Shelby IS reportedly working on a new Shelby Mustang.
> Shelby says that a track version will be built first and will kick a
> bunch of ass on the race track. Then a street version will follow.
> Cool, huh?

This is great news.

> Ready for the ugly? The high-performance Expedition will carry a
> price tag of... please sit down so you won't hurt yourself when you
> fall over... $110,000. <pass the smelling salts> So what does that
> mean for the Shelby F-150? I don't know, but more than 80 grand
> sounds like a possiblity. And the price tag on a new Shelby Mustang?
> Let's just say if you have to ask you probably won't be able to afford
> it. And if that ends up being the case, I hope everyone built rots
> away on a showroom floor.
>
> (Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
> Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
> so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)

The S197 based SVT Cobra is still on track and at this briefing it was
stated quite clearly that it will have the 5.4L, twin screw, 3 valve, VVT
motor from the Lightning project. The number announced was $5k over current
MSRP for the SVT Cobra. That's still pretty pricey, less than the Shelby and
Saleen stuff, but still pricey.

On the other hand, SEMA had several S197 Mustang GTs sporting Whipple
superchargers and Saleen is putting one on their S281 S/C. That means that
we'll probably see high powered Mustang GTs on the street within a year. The
Whipple kit for the '03 SVT Cobra is about $3K, add a couple of $K for
additional tuning and fuel system parts and that's pretty affordable power,
especially since this new motor seems to just love boost .

My point is, even if Shelby decides to be high, high end rather than
affordable, there will still be plenty of low budget (relatively)
alternatives in the main line. Also, FRPP is now selling the Whipple as an
"upgrade" for '03/'04 SVT Cobras. It isn't a stretch that a version for the
new 3V motor is right around the corner.

--
Dan
2003 Cobra convertible

Old November 9th 04, 06:46 AM
180 Out

(Patrick) wrote

> First the bad news. It looks like Shelby's first new high-performance
> Ford will be a sport... I'm sorry, performance utility vehicle (PUV).

Pronounced "poof"? I certainly hope so.

> The 550-horsepower vehicle will be based on a Ford Expedition, but
> will have the motor from the Ford GT supercar, 22-inch wheels,
> upgraded brakes/exhaust, a 5-speed automatic and a bunch of electronic
> gear.

550 hp? Big fat hairy deal. Isn't there a Dodge pickup out there
right now with about the same hp and better torque?

> Okay, now here's the good. Looks like a F-150 version may follow.
> Which is good since Ford recently shelved the next generation
> Lightning pickup. (Hmmm...maybe this is why.)

Who cares?

> More good news. Shelby IS reportedly working on a new Shelby Mustang.
> Shelby says that a track version will be built first and will kick a
> bunch of ass on the race track.

Who's ass? I seriously doubt that it'll run with the Viper, Vette,
and 911 factory racers already out there.

Then a street version will follow.
> Cool, huh?
>
> Ready for the ugly? The high-performance Expedition will carry a
> price tag of... please sit down so you won't hurt yourself when you
> fall over... $110,000. <pass the smelling salts>

Rappers, pimps and pushers, the line forms on the right.

So what does that
> mean for the Shelby F-150? I don't know, but more than 80 grand
> sounds like a possiblity.

Who cares?

And the price tag on a new Shelby Mustang?
> Let's just say if you have to ask you probably won't be able to afford
> it. And if that ends up being the case, I hope everyone built rots
> away on a showroom floor.

It can't go for more than a standard Corvette or M3. Who would buy
one? What a joke that would be.

> (Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
> Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
> so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)

And what would that be? I'd say $35,000 tops.

180 Out
TS 28
Old November 10th 04, 03:00 AM
Wound Up

Patrick wrote:
> (180 Out) wrote in message om>...
>

>>And the price tag on a new Shelby Mustang?
>>
>>>Let's just say if you have to ask you probably won't be able to afford
>>>it. And if that ends up being the case, I hope everyone built rots
>>>away on a showroom floor.

>>It can't go for more than a standard Corvette or M3. Who would buy
>>one? What a joke that would be.

I would. Standard Covettes or M3s... bor-ing. Standard is right. I
don't care how you dress it up, Corvettes from 1984-present have been
stylistic crap, and crap in other ways as well. An M3 is for the golf
course crowd, again.

>>>(Note to Shelby. High price supercars are understandable, but
>>>Mustangs are supposed to be afFORDable. So PLEASE price your version
>>>so that it's at least reachable for the common Joe.)

>>And what would that be? I'd say $35,000 tops.

> 180 Out,
>
> So then where would Ford's Cobra Mustang fit into the lineup? I say
> the next generation Cobra will likely fall into the $35K price range
> and the Shelby Mustang will be deep into the 40s or low 50s. Track
> versions will probably run in the 60s. And they'll sell everyone they
> make...watch.

Exclusivity and "collectibility". Cool factor. Shelby will not live
forever. Return on investment.
Stick a blower in a Mustang if you want bang-for-buck.
No production vehicle matched the 0-100-0 of the 427 Cobra for over 20
years. And no one yet has matched its intangibles. Hot feet at wrong
angle, cramped cabin, weird gauges, backwards shifter, who cares? It's
a freaking 427 COBRA.

Shelby American never made "Mustangs", it made models of "GT" or "Cobra".

No Dodge or Pickup or SUV ever deserved that name. The idea of a Shelby
SUV makes me want to vomit. Porsche did it, and I did. Cayenne? What
the hell is that hideous hunk of crap?

No stupid K-car did, either, but they got it, sadly. WHY, why did he
ever do that... but then again, those weren't Shelby American models.
It was Carroll unfortunately him whoring himself out to the
manufacturers to make a buck.

The so-called 1984 GT-350 Mustang was a sad rip off, which ironically
became collectible itself.

Old November 12th 04, 01:29 AM
Patrick

Wound Up > wrote in message >...

> >>And the price tag on a new Shelby Mustang?

> >>It can't go for more than a standard Corvette or M3. Who would buy
> >>one? What a joke that would be.

> I would.

Ahh, you're the reason we had $35K '95 Rs and nearly $50K 2000 Rs.

> Standard Covettes or M3s... bor-ing. Standard is right. I
> don't care how you dress it up, Corvettes from 1984-present have been
> stylistic crap, and crap in other ways as well.

Have you driven a 'Vette, lately?

> M3 is for the golf course crowd, again.

Hah...that's a laugh! Again, have you driven one, lately?

> >>And what would that be? I'd say $35,000 tops.

> > 180 Out,

> > So then where would Ford's Cobra Mustang fit into the lineup? I say
> > the next generation Cobra will likely fall into the $35K price range
> > and the Shelby Mustang will be deep into the 40s or low 50s. Track
> > versions will probably run in the 60s. And they'll sell everyone they
> > make...watch.

> Exclusivity and "collectibility". Cool factor.

And insanity.

> Shelby will not live forever. Return on investment.

No one average will be able to afford one. Anyone close to average
will likely be around 50 years old. And by the time these folks see a
return on their "investment", they'll have been dead for about 5
years.

> Stick a blower in a Mustang if you want bang-for-buck.
> No production vehicle matched the 0-100-0 of the 427 Cobra for over 20
> years. And no one yet has matched its intangibles. Hot feet at wrong
> angle, cramped cabin, weird gauges, backwards shifter, who cares? It's
> a freaking 427 COBRA.

No doubt cool, but I'd bet if you gave 100 auto enthusiasts a 427
Cobra and told them to drive it every day, day in and day out, that
within a year over 95 of them would be cursing the car and wanting to
give it back for something different.

> Shelby American never made "Mustangs", it made models of "GT" or "Cobra".

That's right, they never made Mustangs they just tweaked 'em.

> No Dodge or Pickup or SUV ever deserved that name. The idea of a Shelby
> SUV makes me want to vomit. Porsche did it, and I did. Cayenne? What
> the hell is that hideous hunk of crap?

> No stupid K-car did, either, but they got it, sadly. WHY, why did he
> ever do that... but then again, those weren't Shelby American models.

And really, neither were the Shelby Mustangs built after '66. Ford's
influence was all over the '67 and up models.

> It was Carroll unfortunately him whoring himself out to the
> manufacturers to make a buck.

In hindsight yes, but back then they were pretty exciting. The little
Shelbys always held their own against the Mustangs and Camaros.

> The so-called 1984 GT-350 Mustang was a sad rip off, which ironically
> became collectible itself.

A low-volume car with a story always seems to be collectible. Just
ask a Edsel owner...

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD
Old November 13th 04, 12:33 AM
dwight

"Patrick" > wrote in message
om...

>> Stick a blower in a Mustang if you want bang-for-buck.
>> No production vehicle matched the 0-100-0 of the 427 Cobra for over 20
>> years. And no one yet has matched its intangibles. Hot feet at wrong
>> angle, cramped cabin, weird gauges, backwards shifter, who cares? It's
>> a freaking 427 COBRA.

> No doubt cool, but I'd bet if you gave 100 auto enthusiasts a 427
> Cobra and told them to drive it every day, day in and day out, that
> within a year over 95 of them would be cursing the car and wanting to
> give it back for something different.

It wouldn't take a year, here in the Northeast. The first rainy day...

Do I HAVE to drive it every day? Couldn't it be my "garage queen", while
TFrog takes the inclement weather?

dwight