strange internal tire wear

Old October 4th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default strange internal tire wear

I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.

I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There
was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked
up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
where the rubber flaked off .

What could cause such a tire failure?
Never seen this before.

Bob

Old October 4th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Oct 3, 10:31 pm, Bob Urz > wrote:
> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
> a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
>
> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There
> was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked
> up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
> where the rubber flaked off .
>
> What could cause such a tire failure?
> Never seen this before.
>
> Bob

Driven excessively with "low air pressure"

Old October 4th 07, 12:32 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

dahpater > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Oct 3, 10:31 pm, Bob Urz > wrote:
>> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
>> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire
>> off a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or
>> so.
>>
>> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise.
>> There was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i
>> looked up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel
>> belts showing where the rubber flaked off .
>>
>> What could cause such a tire failure?
>> Never seen this before.
>>

> Driven excessively with "low air pressure"

Like 5 psi.

--
Tegger

Old October 4th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Jeff[_3_]

Bob Urz wrote:
> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
> a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
>
> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There
> was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked
> up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
> where the rubber flaked off .
>
> What could cause such a tire failure?
> Never seen this before.

What makes you think the tire failed? Was there an obvious blowout?
Old October 4th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Jeff wrote:
> Bob Urz wrote:
>
>> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
>> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
>> a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
>>
>> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise.
>> There was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i
>> looked
>> up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
>> where the rubber flaked off .
>>
>> What could cause such a tire failure?
>> Never seen this before.

> What makes you think the tire failed? Was there an obvious blowout?

I got the tire mounted on a GM wheel and it was holding air.
After i dismounted it, i found the considerable pile of fine
rubber shavings inside of it and noticed the steel belts showing
from the inside.

If you call holding air ok, then it was not failed. But it looked
like a disaster waiting to happen to me. I have never seen a pile of
shredded rubber on the inside of a tire before. Even if it held air,
i probably did not do tire balance any good either.

Bob

Old October 4th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Bob Urz wrote:
> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
> a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
>
> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There
> was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked
> up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
> where the rubber flaked off .
>
> What could cause such a tire failure?
> Never seen this before.
>
> Bob

> News==----
> Newsgroups

Toss the tire. It is scrap. What you saw is the result of driving a tire
with low air pressure. That causes the belts to flex more than they
should and the tire heats up. The heat causes the inner liner rubber to
break down and flake off. Doesn't take very long either.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old October 5th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
GeorgeB

Several months after buying a new set of tires, my wife had one go
flat on a trip. I took it into the shop to get it repaired after
getting her on the way with her spare.

We found the same thing inside. The dealer told me that it was caused
by running nearly flat for an extended period of time. She noticed
nothing. I check pressure once a month and run about 3 psi over the
car placard. This is the 1st time I've seen anything like it. I hope
it was the last.

Aside, these were premium tires, and all 4 were from the same lot.

Old October 6th 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Bob Urz wrote:

> I was going through a pile of used tires to find one to temporarily
> put on the taurus until i can get the rack fixed. I found one tire off
> a GM product that looked OK from the outside with 60% tread or so.
>
> I dismounted it to remount it on a Ford rim and found a surprise. There
> was a pile of fine shredded rubber inside the tire. ANd when i looked
> up to the under side of the tread, you could see the steel belts showing
> where the rubber flaked off .
>
> What could cause such a tire failure?
> Never seen this before.
>
> Bob

Running it flat.... There was a reason it was in the pile of junked
tires, after all.
Old October 8th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan Beaton

I used to run a wheel refinishing shop. I had two wheels with tires come
in for leak repair within a short time of each other. One tire had a large
amount of crumbled rubber inside it, severe wear on the outside sidewall
and clearly had been run flat for some time. The other tire had a smaller
but still significant amount of rubber crumbs inside, but the outside was
hardly marked at all. If you saw the tire, you would say that it had brushed
against a curb while parking (unless you happened to notice that it went
all the way around the tire).

As an aside, I am amazed how low tire pressure has to be before the tire
is obviously flat. Even 15 psi will just look soft.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

tire wear Snow Jeep 23 March 26th 06 10:44 PM
A4 tire wear. Dano58 Audi 0 August 31st 05 02:57 PM
Strange tire wear Jerry Foster Technology 6 August 15th 05 07:26 AM
strange tire wear => strut problem? Usual Suspect Driving 1 February 1st 05 03:00 AM
Tire Wear johnnya Mazda 5 December 23rd 04 04:17 PM