How to fix pinging? -- SOLVED, additional info

Old April 8th 04, 05:14 AM
Chris Szilagyi

Default How to fix pinging? -- SOLVED, additional info

I originally started a thread a while back in regards to a pinging
problem in an 86 Cutlass Ciera. I used some suggestions (spraying
water thru the carb) which at the time fixed it for a while, but
recently the problems came back. Today I did the next step which was
replacing the EGR valve, which has completely fixed my pinging
problem. In fact I have a suspicion that the EGR valve may have been
bad for a while. However, I had seen some other posts before on
testing the EGR valve on this car, and after changing one today I have
found out that the EGR diaphram cannot be tested with a vacuum pump.
The instructions with the new one also stated this. I do not know for
sure why but these particular EGR valves do not hold a vacuum with a
pump. I just thought I would provide this information, incase others
are having similar problems , especially people trying to test the EGR
valve itself.

Thanks,
--
Chris

-- Original Post --

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I tried the old water through the
carb trick, and it worked like magic. I did this about 2 weeks ago
and the knocking has completely gone away. Just used an industrial
spray bottle on stream setting and ran thru some distilled water with
somebody holding down the throttle. Had to run a good 2 quarts of
water through to get it to stop knocking though. Not sure if water
can get mixed in with the oil so I changed it right after anyway to be
safe.

Found lots of posts that say this works, so I'd like to back that up!

--
Chris

winch info excossack 4x4 4 January 3rd 05 01:28 AM
V6 Pinging right between coasting and acceleration Gene Buckwalter Audi 0 December 23rd 04 12:51 AM
winch info excossack 4x4 2 December 21st 04 08:07 PM
Chevy Aveo and Toyota Echo Hatchback aniram General 42 March 1st 04 06:06 PM