Semi OT VWoA

Old November 10th 04, 05:50 PM
Aquarijen

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> has been a great car. Has 97K on it now. What are you guys driving for
> you
> commuter car?
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

I'm still driving the 2000 New Beetle. I hate it. I wish I never got it,
but I'm still paying for it. When it breaks, it is difficult to fix (even
with the computer interface). The check engine light comes on for no good
reason and the interior has not aged well. Little things keep falling off.
I will not buy another.
-Jen

Old November 10th 04, 07:09 PM
bug '59

A '03 Toyota corolla... Well my girlfriend mostly.

If looking for a new car, probably again rice.
However the latest (euro) corolla is from the UK insteat of Japan, you can
'hear' the difference (..sigh..)
A friend of mine works at a VW-dealer... all after type 3 (golf) is no
good..., he says...

I hope to get me a pre'67 van someday, for daily driving, untill then i have
to share the squeeky Toyota.

Roger

"Bill Berckman" > schreef in bericht

Old November 10th 04, 07:18 PM
Bill Berckman

Kidd wrote:

>I've wanted a Jetta for a long time, but after seeing the problems DeeDee's
>had
>with her brand new Beetle, I don't think I would trust VWoA.
>If I was going to buy a new car, I'd buy an '04 Subaru WRX STi. Or maybe a
>Toyota truck, like a Tacoma or a Tundra.
>
>Until then, I'm stuck with a '97 Honda Civic. Despite it's lack of care over
>the last few years (thank my mother), the only things that have gone wrong
>with
>it are the CV joints (I'm sure due to my insane driving styles - shut up Jan
>-)
>and the A/C. Aside from regular things like brake pads, that car's been a
>gem.
>
>Kidd

Something interesting about Subaru that I was reading in Car & Driver. It
said when you buy a WRX, you get a free years membership in to some SCAA club.
From that fact, I am assuming that Subaru is encouraging the owner to drive the
car as it was intended. On the other hand it was saying that Mitsubishi in
VWoAesque fashion has been scanning the message boards on the net, and voiding
the warranties of people who brag about their exploits in their EVO. I guess
all car companies are not created equal. In the past, there have been stories
of VW reps going to car shows and writing down the Vin numbers of modified cars
still under warranty and then voiding the warranty of that car.

On an unrelated note from the same magazine, it said in relation to Toyota
Lease car returns, that some of the cars have been coming back in with the same
oil filter that was put on at the factory. I don't like leasing because people
should take ownership of their vehicles and take care of them. But then again,
the Yuppies probably would not be able to afford the top of the line Lexus SUV
without leasing it.
Bill Berckman
67 Beetle

Old November 12th 04, 12:29 PM
dragenwagen

1966 Beetle - Daily commuter vehicle i guess that it has something like
380,000.00 miles on it sounds about right 10,000 miles a year for 38
years... Ive only put about 7,000 in the last 2 years.

The wifeys grocery getter and kid hauler is a 1993 Ford POS (piece of sh!t)
Aerostar. I guess I can't complain tooo much since it has 205,600.00 miles
on the clock. But i have also replaced the engine, tranny, rack and pinion,
mastercylinder, AC, a bunch of alternators, radiator, 2 heater cores, and a
whole lot of tail lights, but never a headlight or front marker or signal
lights
--
************************************************** **************
dragenwagen

Old November 14th 04, 01:13 AM
MN AirHead

I'm contiunually amazed at how expensive the fastest declining EXPENSE
in the country is.

Daily drivers... '98 ISUZU HOMBRE... same thing as an S-10... paid
about $3500 for it with 50k on the clock. My prior Nissan Truck had
250k before it croaked -- got tired of hauling 2 ton loads (yes this
is the truth)

My Wife Drives a '98 Camry (chick car)....

Our club is tight with a VW Dealership. I like the new models... I'm
just VERY afraid of anything that the service manager says is always a
3 hour job (like replacing Toureg rear signal lights -- no joke)...

I'd have a much rosier opinion if VW was willing to supply parts to
supply the need -- even if they had to resell.

Next car????? Suby or ricer truck
Old November 14th 04, 02:25 AM
jjs

"MN AirHead" > wrote in message
om...

> I'd have a much rosier opinion if VW was willing to supply parts to
> supply the need -- even if they had to resell.

Check yesterday's financial news. VW is cutting back on production. Again.

Old November 14th 04, 05:21 AM
Bill Berckman

John Stafford wrote:

>> I'd have a much rosier opinion if VW was willing to supply parts to
>> supply the need -- even if they had to resell.

>Check yesterday's financial news. VW is cutting back on production. Again.

I guess all of that arrogance is finally catching up with them. Remember this
http://www.vwmagazine.com/vwoa/ramva.html
Bill Berckman
67 Beetle