starter not starting

Old November 1st 04, 05:15 PM
Ant

Default starter not starting

Hi All

This is a 74 Bay with a 2.0L CJ engine. Last night she took me home fine.
Later I tried to start it and it does nothing, just a dimming in the
lights, but no starting engine and no starting noise. The Haynes manual
says the battery must be low, but I charged it overnight and this morning I
have the same problem. Any ideas?
How should troubleshoot this?

TIA
Ant
Thanks but my penis, breasts and mortgage have exactly the right size.
Not interested in your spam
Old November 1st 04, 06:13 PM
MIC

> have the same problem. Any ideas?
Check the connections on the battery. Check groundwires from battery to
chassis and chassis to gearbox
Got a Voltmeter? Messure the voltage on your battery when everything is
turned off. Should be about 12Volt.
Measure again during key in position "Start" - should not go under 9-10
Volt if so - your battery is broken down or very empty for power.
Can you get your engine running with "startercables" ? Yes? Then measure
the voltage at the battery with headlights on about 2000 -3000 rpm. Should
be 13-14,3 Volt - if not your generator/alternator is not working.....

greetings from Denmark......
Michael 1303

---

Old November 11th 04, 03:54 PM
Sleepy Joe

Ant > wrote in message >...
> Hi All
>
> This is a 74 Bay with a 2.0L CJ engine. Last night she took me home fine.
> Later I tried to start it and it does nothing, just a dimming in the
> lights, but no starting engine and no starting noise. The Haynes manual
> says the battery must be low, but I charged it overnight and this morning I
> have the same problem. Any ideas?
> How should troubleshoot this?
>
> TIA
> Ant

It sounds like you need a 'hard start relay kit'.
Old November 11th 04, 04:44 PM
Jan Andersson

Sleepy Joe wrote:

> Ant > wrote in message >...
> > Hi All
> >
> > This is a 74 Bay with a 2.0L CJ engine. Last night she took me home fine.
> > Later I tried to start it and it does nothing, just a dimming in the
> > lights, but no starting engine and no starting noise. The Haynes manual
> > says the battery must be low, but I charged it overnight and this morning I
> > have the same problem. Any ideas?
> > How should troubleshoot this?
> >
> > TIA
> > Ant

> It sounds like you need a 'hard start relay kit'.

Here we go again..... damn!

Jan
Old November 11th 04, 04:46 PM
Shaggie

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:44:19 +0200, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>Sleepy Joe wrote:
>>
>> Ant > wrote in message >...
>> > Hi All
>> >
>> > This is a 74 Bay with a 2.0L CJ engine. Last night she took me home fine.
>> > Later I tried to start it and it does nothing, just a dimming in the
>> > lights, but no starting engine and no starting noise. The Haynes manual
>> > says the battery must be low, but I charged it overnight and this morning I
>> > have the same problem. Any ideas?
>> > How should troubleshoot this?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Ant

>> It sounds like you need a 'hard start relay kit'.

>Here we go again..... damn!
>

>Jan

Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and
cons of one of those kits are... :-D

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old November 11th 04, 05:00 PM
Seth Graham

On 2004-11-11, Shaggie > wrote:

> Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting.

Why would I want my car to be harder to start?

Old November 11th 04, 05:00 PM
Tim Rogers

"Shaggie" > wrote in message

> Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and
> cons of one of those kits are... :-D

..........SPLAT!!!

.......heh heh......got him again right in the back of the head.

Old November 11th 04, 05:21 PM
Jan Andersson

Seth Graham wrote:

> On 2004-11-11, Shaggie > wrote:
> >
> > Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting.

> Why would I want my car to be harder to start?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jan
Old November 12th 04, 03:37 AM
Chris Perdue

>Loosenutbehindthewheel

> It sounds like you need a 'hard start relay kit'.

<sigh>

-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 12th 04, 03:51 AM
Ed Botwinik

I think I'd suspect the starter before making modifications to the original
design.

om...