iRacing = crack in a box

Old June 25th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
btgoss

Default iRacing = crack in a box

This is not really expensive.

World of Warcraft... the real "crack" of the intertubes... is $155 US
a year (without tax) if purchased at the lowest bulk rate.
iRacing is totally inline with this cost, actually since you have to
add the cost of the box to WoW ( around $50 US ), that first year is
more expensive, where as with iRacing the second year could be less
expensive.

That being said I still do not think the iRacing price model will
work. I am going to be very happy with just the Legend car, and the
basic tracks for a very long time. I know I will only add two other
classes, and maybe 3-4 tracks at most. So they will not be getting a
random boost of money from me when something new comes out. I think
you will have many people who will fall into this type of category.
(many being relative to the actual numbers who use this service) So I
wonder if the 50 to 100 thousand people who will pay to play will be
enough.

But it should be fun to watch at least.

Old June 25th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jack[_15_]

50000-100000 ? I would be surprised @ 5-10 thousand
Old June 25th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Larry" > wrote in message
news

> "0-0-0-0-0" > wrote in message
>
>> So just to be clear on your view Larry....

> hmmm....
>
>> You're saying that rFactor with ALL it's FREE mod content is a "mess"

> Yep. Can't keep up with it, it's utterly fragmented, completely out of
> control, and something I personally don't have the time to deal with.
>
>> but as long as you have to PAY for new stuff -- then it's "not_that_bad".

> No, it's not. Not when it's quality materials managed in a quality
> manner. Not a screwed up free-for-all like rFactor is.
>
>> LOL - kind of funny when you look at it that way isn't it !?!

> I find nothing funny about the current rFactor mess.
>
> I have NO problem with rFactor (other than I don't much care for ISI
> engine based sims). It's the uncontrolled mess that the whole tracks,
> cars, mods thing has become. Every time I've EVER tried to join a race I
> either didn't have the right Mod, track, version of track or mod, or
> whatever. I spent more time trying to keep up with the changes than
> racing.
>
> At least in iRacing if something changes, you get an "Update Required"
> flag and you mash a button to update. And EVERONE has to do it so
> everyone is on the same page.
>
> If rFactor would incorporate something like that, 90% of my gripes with
> rFactor would go away.

Spot on, 100% right, Larry. rFactor is good if you want to run in a league,
but if you just want to grab a quick bit if on-line racing fun, it's a
disaster.

Old June 25th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovich

Jack:
> btgoss:
>> This is not really expensive.
>>
>> World of Warcraft... the real "crack" of the intertubes... is $155 US
>> a year (without tax) if purchased at the lowest bulk rate.
>> iRacing is totally inline with this cost, actually since you have to
>> add the cost of the box to WoW ( around $50 US ), that first year is
>> more expensive, where as with iRacing the second year could be less
>> expensive.
>>
>> That being said I still do not think the iRacing price model will
>> work. I am going to be very happy with just the Legend car, and the
>> basic tracks for a very long time. I know I will only add two other
>> classes, and maybe 3-4 tracks at most. So they will not be getting a
>> random boost of money from me when something new comes out. I think
>> you will have many people who will fall into this type of category.
>> (many being relative to the actual numbers who use this service) So I
>> wonder if the 50 to 100 thousand people who will pay to play will be
>> enough.
>>
>> But it should be fun to watch at least.

> 50000-100000 ? I would be surprised @ 5-10 thousand

It just started, few minutes ago. There were 1000 beta testers, and
supposedly they now work with 7000 invitees. -- Mario Petrinovich

Old June 25th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
btgoss

On Jun 25, 11:56*am, Jack > wrote:
> btgoss wrote:
> > This is not really expensive.

> > World of Warcraft... the real "crack" of the intertubes... is $155 US
> > a year (without tax) if purchased at the lowest bulk rate.
> > iRacing is totally inline with this cost, actually since you have to
> > add the cost of the box to WoW ( around $50 US ), that first year is
> > more expensive, where as with iRacing the second year could be less
> > expensive.

> > That being said I still do not think the iRacing price model will
> > work. I am going to be very happy with just the Legend car, and the
> > basic tracks for a very long time. I know I will only add two other
> > classes, and maybe 3-4 tracks at most. So they will not be getting a
> > random boost of money from me when something new comes out. I think
> > you will have many people who will fall into this type of category.
> > (many being relative to the actual numbers who use this service) So I
> > wonder if the 50 to 100 thousand people who will pay to play will be
> > enough.

> > But it should be fun to watch at least.

> 50000-100000 ? I would be surprised @ 5-10 thousand

It can't work with those few people paying to play. I think the number
has to be at least 50K to keep it alive. And I am making that
statement based on Eve online having around 70K. So I would think 50K
to 100K range is a fair number for something that is never going to be
a mainstream type of experience. Now if they could get a Nascar
License AND CART/IRL/Open Wheel license... then who knows... but right
now I think they are hoping for at least 50K.

Old June 25th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Lets not forget, McDonalds started with only 1 being served.

Now, they can't fit the number on the sign any more

-Larry

Old June 26th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
0-0-0-0-0

Thanks Larry

I do see your point and I do understand that it can be daunting for non-savy
PC users to manage the mods, tracks, etc.

Personally I would have liked to see some sort of "standards" released with
the base rFactor sim that laid out some kind of mandated format for all
mods/tracks. It would have made things easier if "all" mods-tracks were to
contain a standard install that everyone could do "eyes-closed" so to speak.
It would have been great if there was ONE central mod-track depository
(rfactorcentral.com does come very close though). I cannot disagree with
you and these points.

Having said that though.... iRacing is a controlled "league" if you will.
Anyone running rFactor in a (controlled) league should have almost zero
problems getting going or locating the necessary mod/tracks.
They will also get a nicely worded "updates required" message that some
league admin has graciously written out. It's not iRacing-automatic, but it
works just fine.

The real problems you are talking about is with "pick-up racing" which I
personally don't think rF was ever really made for.

JMHO

0-0-0-0-0-0

news

Old June 26th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Boofhead

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Or...
>
> iRacing is the Mac, rFactor is the PC.
>
> LOL
>
> -Larry

Are you saying that rFactor is better than iRacing!!

Interesting

Old June 26th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Boofhead

Man, I hope your married because if your'e single life must be hell if you
can't even get yourself organised with rFactor.

Just grab the mods you want to use and regularly check rFactorcentral for
updates.

How complicated is that.

Old June 26th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
0-0-0-0-0

NO !

He's saying that iRacing is for "artsy-fartsy" people....
and rFactor is for everyone else. LOL

( Easy Larry.... I am just making a pc-mac joke here! - no i-offense meant