85 MPH speedometers?

Old December 26th 07, 04:42 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default 85 MPH speedometers?

"necromancer" > wrote
> Brent P:
>> In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:
>> > "Premier Bush" > wrote
>> >
>> > It is incorrect to say that they were "mandated". They were
>> > *anticipated*
>> > be mandated, but never were.

>> They were mandated.
>>
>> 1976 or 1977 was the first model year, it was repealed in some time in
>> the
>> 80s.

> Must have been 1977. My first car, a F**d Granada had a 120MPH speedo.

My '77 Porsche 924 had a 125mph speedo.
So did our '77 BMWs. No Porsche or BMW ever had one.
Many cars never got the 85mph speedos. Probably would be more
correct to say that the final phase-in year never happened, because
the repeal happened first.

FloydR

Old December 26th 07, 06:02 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Bill[_12_]

"richard" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:08:03 -0600, "Premier Bush"
> > wrote:
>
>>What years were the 85 MPH speedometers mandated by the feds? I know it
>>was
>>from sometime around 1980 to sometime around 1990. The 1987 Mustang GT
>>had
>>the 85 MPH speedo and by 92 they had been replaced by the 140 MPH units,
>>so
>>it was lifted sometime between those years. I saw a picture of the new
>>2009
>>Corvette ZR-1 speedo and it was a 220 MPH unit, imagine that car with an
>>85
>>MPH unit.
>>
>>(crossposted to rad because somebody there probably knows the answer)
>>

> I do not believe there is a fed regulation on it. I believe they do it
> that way because nobody in there right mind is gonna drive 100mph.

Christmas Eve I was I was doing over 100 -- and that was on the entrance
ramp.

TGFS -- Thank God for Stuttgart.

- B

Old December 26th 07, 06:14 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Mark F

necromancer > wrote:

> Brent P:
>> In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:
>> > "Premier Bush" > wrote
>> >
>> > It is incorrect to say that they were "mandated". They were *anticipated*
>> > be mandated, but never were.

>> They were mandated.
>>
>> 1976 or 1977 was the first model year, it was repealed in some time in the
>> 80s.

>Must have been 1977. My first car, a F**d Granada had a 120MPH speedo.
>
>> It was one of those lovely claybrookian things.

>I can believe that. One of those reminders of the dark ages of US
>history.

My 1977 Nova's speedometer only went to 85mph.

Old December 26th 07, 07:12 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

necromancer wrote:

> Brent P:
> >
> > They were mandated.
> >
> > 1976 or 1977 was the first model year, it was repealed in some time in the
> > 80s.

> Must have been 1977. My first car, a F**d Granada had a 120MPH speedo.

Was the Grannie sold in the USA ?

Graham

Old December 26th 07, 07:14 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Mark F wrote:

> My 1977 Nova's speedometer only went to 85mph.

Could it actually make 85 ?

Graham

Old December 26th 07, 09:10 AM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Lost in my mind

On Dec 25, 3:08*pm, "Premier Bush" > wrote:
> What years were the 85 MPH speedometers mandated by the feds? *I know it was
> from sometime around 1980 to sometime around 1990. *The 1987 Mustang GT had
> the 85 MPH speedo and by 92 they had been replaced by the 140 MPH units, so
> it was lifted sometime between those years. *I saw a picture of the new 2009
> Corvette ZR-1 speedo and it was a 220 MPH unit, imagine that car with an 85
> MPH unit.
>
> (crossposted to rad because somebody there probably knows the answer)

My Current Vehicles: 78 Thunderbird - 85MPH Circular, 95 Cherokee -
85MPH Circular, 07 Compass - 120MPH Circular
Past Vehicles I remember: 91 Town Car - 85MPH Horizontal, 79 and 87
Mustang - 85MPH Circular, 84 Caprice - 85MPH Horizontal.

I still notice several NEW vehicles with 85MPH speedo's, but they do
appear to be a dying breed.
Old December 26th 07, 01:52 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer

Eeyo

> necromancer wrote:
>
> > Brent P:
> > >
> > > They were mandated.
> > >
> > > 1976 or 1977 was the first model year, it was repealed in some time in the
> > > 80s.

> > Must have been 1977. My first car, a F**d Granada had a 120MPH speedo.

> Was the Grannie sold in the USA ?

A car with that name was, yes. whether or not it was the same as what
was sold in the UK, I don't know.

--
Loco Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend foams like a Bartlo
(and spelling or gramatical errors are left as is):

"Hey - necromancer is a criminal coddler. BTW the article
says 4X and then it says the BAC was .187 which doesn't
make much sense. Not that it matters. Drunk drivers who
kill should get life wo parole."

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/rqvtg
Message
Old December 26th 07, 03:37 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Seven[_2_]

On Dec 25, 10:34*pm, Larry Bud > wrote:
> On Dec 25, 3:08*pm, "Premier Bush" > wrote:
>
> > What years were the 85 MPH speedometers mandated by the feds? *I know it was
> > from sometime around 1980 to sometime around 1990. *The 1987 Mustang GT had
> > the 85 MPH speedo and by 92 they had been replaced by the 140 MPH units, so
> > it was lifted sometime between those years. *I saw a picture of the new 2009
> > Corvette ZR-1 speedo and it was a 220 MPH unit, imagine that car with an 85
> > MPH unit.

> The Vettes got around the limit. *My '86 Vette has an eletronic
> "gauge" that slopes up to 85, but the digital readout goes up to
> whatever the car will go.

My '84 and '85 300ZXs did as well. Digital dash had basically two
speed reads, one a linear progression from 0 to 85, one a digital MPH
readout. Haven't felt reckless enough to test the third digit yet.

My '88 Lebaron convertible registered to 120, with at least a
confirmed 105.

The '85 Lebaron was an 85 MPH. Pronounced vibration past 75, but there
was no way in hell I was going to tell my parents *that* bit back in
high school.

-Steven
Old December 26th 07, 04:15 PM posted to misc.transport.road, rec.autos.driving
Alex

On Dec 25, 7:31 pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS"
> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 1:08 pm, "Premier Bush" > wrote:

> And when some ZR1 owner kills someone by speeding, GM is gonna get
> sued for making cars that fast and for putting in speedometers that
> encourage speeding. GM is stupid.

The only stupid thing is that you you think a speedometer encourages
speeding.
--------------------
Alex
Old December 27th 07, 01:49 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Scott M. Kozel

Eeyore > wrote:

> Mark F wrote:
>
> > My 1977 Nova's speedometer only went to 85mph.

> Could it actually make 85 ?

Easily +. I had a 1975 Chevrolet Nova.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Malibu speedometers Bob Urz Technology 1 March 29th 07 07:24 PM
85 MPH speedometers Ronnie Dobbs Driving 23 June 2nd 06 09:38 AM
Hondas speedometers. Use DRAC modules or what? Charles Lasitter Honda 11 April 12th 05 04:26 AM