Ford Focus 2011 Windshield (metro DC area)

Old January 16th 14, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood[_2_]

Default Ford Focus 2011 Windshield (metro DC area)

Hello, all and my question is primarily for metro DC area folks:

The subject vehicle Carlite windshield NAGS# DW01694GTY recently
developed about a 7 inch approx. horizontal crack extending from the
edge of glass on the driver side near the hood. Has anyone used
Virginia Glass (703-448-6601) for windshield replacement and what was
your impression? (I mention this company because they're affiliated
with the Auto Glass Safety Council). Thanks for your time and comment.
Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old January 16th 14, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:46:45 AM UTC-6, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello, all and my question is primarily for metro DC area folks:
>

> The subject vehicle Carlite windshield NAGS# DW01694GTY recently
>
> developed about a 7 inch approx. horizontal crack extending from the
>
> edge of glass on the driver side near the hood. Has anyone used
>
> Virginia Glass (703-448-6601) for windshield replacement and what was
>
> your impression? (I mention this company because they're affiliated
>
> with the Auto Glass Safety Council). Thanks for your time and comment.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
>
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

Google, or whatever,,, Virginia Auto Glass Reviews I am a long ways from Virginia/DC area.
Old January 16th 14, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:46:45 AM UTC-5, J.B. Wood wrote:
> Hello, all and my question is primarily for metro DC area folks:
>

> The subject vehicle Carlite windshield NAGS# DW01694GTY recently
>
> developed about a 7 inch approx. horizontal crack extending from the
>
> edge of glass on the driver side near the hood. Has anyone used
>
> Virginia Glass (703-448-6601) for windshield replacement and what was
>
> your impression? (I mention this company because they're affiliated
>
> with the Auto Glass Safety Council). Thanks for your time and comment.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
>
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

I'd call them and ask where their glass is made.
Old January 17th 14, 11:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
J.B. Wood[_2_]

On 01/16/2014 04:27 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
>> The subject vehicle Carlite windshield NAGS# DW01694GTY recently
>>
>> developed about a 7 inch approx. horizontal crack extending from the
>>
>> edge of glass on the driver side near the hood. Has anyone used
>>
>> Virginia Glass (703-448-6601) for windshield replacement and what was
>>
>> your impression? (I mention this company because they're affiliated
>>
>> with the Auto Glass Safety Council). Thanks for your time and comment.

> I'd call them and ask where their glass is made.

Hello, and thanks for the feedback, but I'm going to get the Ford
Carlite replacement identical to the original installed, even if it
means paying over what insurance will provide. My other concern is that
it be correctly installed (properly glued down, etc) and looking as
close as possible to what came off the assembly line. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Old January 17th 14, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Friday, January 17, 2014 5:36:13 AM UTC-6, J.B. Wood wrote:
> On 01/16/2014 04:27 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
>
> >> The subject vehicle Carlite windshield NAGS# DW01694GTY recently

> >> developed about a 7 inch approx. horizontal crack extending from the

> >> edge of glass on the driver side near the hood. Has anyone used

> >> Virginia Glass (703-448-6601) for windshield replacement and what was

> >> your impression? (I mention this company because they're affiliated

> >> with the Auto Glass Safety Council). Thanks for your time and comment.

> > I'd call them and ask where their glass is made.

> Hello, and thanks for the feedback, but I'm going to get the Ford
>
> Carlite replacement identical to the original installed, even if it
>
> means paying over what insurance will provide. My other concern is that
>
> it be correctly installed (properly glued down, etc) and looking as
>
> close as possible to what came off the assembly line. Sincerely,
>
> --
>
> J. B. Wood e-mail:

For more auto glass related info, Google,,, Where is Ford Carlite glass made? usglassmag site. 'The Name on the package says Tennessee Pride!'
Old January 19th 14, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, January 17, 2014 4:36:13 AM UTC-7, J.B. Wood wrote:

> My other concern is that it be correctly installed (properly
> glued down, etc) and looking as close as possible to what
> came off the assembly line.

Ask car dealers who they use because a lot of them don't do windshields
themselves.

See if the installer is certified by some of the windshield makers,
like Carlite or PPG.

Phone shops about a slightly different Ford and ask for cash and
insurance prices because if the insurance price is a lot higher,
it means the shop is scamming insurance companies in order to
kick back the insurance deductible to you. Avoid scammers.

Visit the shop and watch them install windshields. If they don't
wear gloves during the installation, find another shop because the
glued surfaces have to be 100% clean and oil-free in order to stick
well, and this is very important with airbags because the windshield
holds the airbags in proper position during a crash, especially the passenger's.

If you can, wait at least twice the glue's cure time (varies by
formulation of glue and temperature) before driving the car because
uncured glue lines peel off easily.