clutch / transmission question

Old April 24th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default clutch / transmission question

Chris,

What happens if you double clutch when shifting?

Try double clutching on the upshift and downshift while matching revs,
which, requires a blip of the throttle on the downshift and no blip on
the upshift. Done correctly, this should minimize the need for the
synchros. If this helps with the grinding from second to third, I
would suspect the synchros to be worn.

You did not mention what viscosity of Redline you are using. I was
getting the traditional hard to shift from first to second when cold.
I first tried using the MTL, but thought it was to thin with the
transmission warmed up. The MT-90 feels better in my 140,000 mile ’92.

G. Lee
Old April 25th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Ahhhh, I knew I liked you! Plus you know allot about these little half-cars!

Chris
99BBB

Old April 25th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Well, double clutching probably takes about the same amount of time as
taking a breath in the middle of the 2nd to 3rd shift (and that avoids the
grind) so, I'm pretty sure it would not grind but I'm not sure that would
tell me anything. Good thought though.

I'm with you on the tranny fluid though, I put the MTL in the tranny and the
MT-90 in the diff (or the other way around, can't remember). I'd have to
look up the recpt, that would tell me as there would be quan 2 on the tranny
and quan 1 on the diff. Thing is, it's been awhile so, I should probably do
the change out just to be sure and see what happens.

I think I asked but I don't remember anyone answering; would it be necessary
/ likely that they changed tranny fluid when they did the clutch (see, I
told you I don't know much about this part of my car)?

Thanks again guys,
Chris
99BBB

Old April 25th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I believe the specs call for 75w90 gear oil in the dif.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=6

Changing the transmission fluid is not required during a clutch
change.

G. Lee

Old April 26th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Gottcha!

Chris
99BBB

Old April 26th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Pat, it doesn't sound like I'm going to be paying "them" anything. It sounds
like I need to know what your favorite beer is and we'll have to test it out
on LCR after we fight it for a few hours ;-)

I think I'm going to do the fluid change and see if I'm fortunate enough to
have it resolved by that (which I'm doubtful about). Then I'll move on to
other options if / when it get annoying enough.

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old April 27th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst

> wrote in message
>I believe the specs call for 75w90 gear oil in the dif.
>
> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=6
>
> Changing the transmission fluid is not required during a clutch
> change.
>
> G. Lee

Unless you have a plug for the driveshaft hole, removing the trans while it
is full of lube will make a mess. It's not required to drain it, but I would
recommend it.

Old April 27th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

I doubt that this will be of any help in "fixing" the third gear grind--
But, one never knows.
Remove the various stuff needed to get to the tranny shifter rubber boots.
One or both may be bad, but that's another issue at this point.
Remove the outer boot far enough to get to the inner boot and the shifter
mounting bolts that go thru the inner boot flange.
Check the shifter mounting bolts to make sure that they are reasonably
tight.
If so, there is a possibility that the plastic donut on the bottom of the
shifter is worn.
So, the next step would be to remove the shifter and check.
And another gotcha-- The shifter and ring may not have been installed
correctly when the clutch was replaced,
if the third gear grinding started soon after the clutch was replaced.

Once in third gear, is there any tendancy to "pop out" of gear if you just
touch the shifter?

As far as lubricant and shifting/grinding.
The wrong lubricant screws up the coefficient of friction that the syncro
"cones" are designed for.
For instance, lubricant intended specifically for limited slip clutch plate
type differentials contains an additive that is intended to reduce or stop
"shudder" caused by "chattering" or repeated quick engagement and release of
the clutch pack. In otherwords, if the lubricant is too slippery, the cones
don't work properly, and grinding can be a result. Double clutching usually
solves the problem.

Old April 27th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chas Hurst wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I believe the specs call for 75w90 gear oil in the dif.
>>
>> http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=6
>>
>> Changing the transmission fluid is not required during a clutch
>> change.
>>
>> G. Lee

> Unless you have a plug for the driveshaft hole, removing the trans while it
> is full of lube will make a mess. It's not required to drain it, but I would
> recommend it.

Oh yeah, that driveshaft hole. Forgot about that. The transmissions that
I have removed have all been empty, so that other fluid exit hole was
not coming to mind.

Even if it did not make a mess, the lack of a lift or transmission jack
makes me want to take every pound possible off of the weight of the
transmission before I pull it out and let it drop onto my chest.

The same goes for lifting it up and re-installing it. The 5-speed
transmission is not that heavy, but it is very awkward, (and heavy
enough), if you are unable to stand underneath the car during installation.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Pat

HELP! Transmission / Clutch Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 6 March 8th 08 10:01 PM
clutch question, manual tire changer question Troy Jeep 13 August 26th 05 04:59 AM
Transmission? or Clutch? Pubic Mazda 1 July 3rd 05 04:14 AM
98 Jetta: timing belt question-non-interference?/transmission fluid question Ben867-5309 VW water cooled 1 October 20th 04 03:53 PM
94 Jetta clutch and transmission Victor LeeOwn VW water cooled 6 October 20th 04 11:56 AM