Picking out a few tools. Your input welcome

Old March 5th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Picking out a few tools. Your input welcome

As ski season winds down and autocross season starts up, I've been
thinking about learning how to rotate (swap) tires myself. Since
Sears is having a sale this week, and I don't have any of the
appropriate tools, I put 2+2 together and have started picking some
stuff out. If any of you all have a minute, you're welcome to chime
in on my selections or what I should get, since my experience in this
area is pretty limited.

Craftsman 2-1/4 ton floor jack, 29.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=floor+jack
I was actually looking at some of their more expensive jacks, but they
seem to get pretty mixed reviews until you step up to the $300 (279.99
on sale) Craftsman Professional aluminum model. That thing looks
sweet, but someone said this one works well enough so I figure I'll
buy in for $30 and see how I like working on the wheels.

Central Machinery 3 ton jack stands with rubber pads
These seem good because they have a groove that might fit well over
the lip on the underside of the car, which I understand is a good
place to prop it up?
Will I need more than just one pair? I'm thinking two stands is
enough to prop up the left side, swap front & rear, then repeat with
the right side.

Craftsman Torque Wrench, 1/2 in. drive, 69.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=torque+wrench
First of all, I want 1/2 in drive, right? The mixed reviews on
several of their affordable torque wrenches sort of concerns me.
Craftsman also makes a dedicated "Tire Torque Wrench" that gets better
reviews, but it's $140. Sorta hoping this one would be good enough
for tightening lug nuts.

Lug nut socket? Where should I get one, is it just a generic socket?
I have the OEM 16" wheels on a 2003 Shinsen edition.

I'm thinking I might also want a helper wrench or two, curious as to
what people like.

Gracias & ZZ
Eric

Picking my Saturn up Tomorrow! HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)[_9_] Saturn 0 March 9th 07 12:51 AM
325? 330? "X"? input please Bimmerlover BMW 3 August 29th 05 12:00 PM
input please IsellJeeps Ford Mustang 4 May 31st 05 03:11 PM
WooHoo Picking up my Rubie today. FrankW Jeep 2 May 19th 05 05:40 AM
picking up my new SRT-4 tomorrow! LuvrSmel Dodge 0 April 5th 05 05:54 AM