Meguiars spray on wax ??

Old December 13th 06, 03:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

Default Meguiars spray on wax ??

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:18:40 -0600, No Vette Yet wrote:

>>Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.
>>

>The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs off as you
>said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even touching my
>newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette, it will be
>the same way.

You use a slow stream of water (no connection on the end of the hose
and the water just coming out) to get as much water off the car before
you wipe it dry. The less beads of water on the car the faster you
can dry it before the water dries on its own and you get the hard
water spots. If you seem them happening, hit them with an instant
detailer. If your real anal about it, get an inline filter for your
hose.
Old December 13th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:13:50 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

><No Vette Yet> wrote in message
.. .

>>>Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.
>>>

>> The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs off as you
>> said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even touching my
>> newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette, it will be
>> the same way.
>>
>> And in case anyone asks, no I don't bring my cars to car washes ... in
>> fact the last time I did was about 27 years ago and I almost lost my
>> antenna (when they were a stand alone mast).

>Spray does not sheet off, run off, yes, but do it your way. No need to just try
>it once and see what it does. Not to long ago I had a black Seville, a black C5
>and the black '72, when I washed all 3 on a warm day it was easy to sheet the
>water off and not get streaks. Oh, by the way, all I use is Dawn dish soap.

Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and possibly
leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash product made
for washing cars.
Old December 13th 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Andy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:13:50 -0500, "Dad"
> > wrote:
>

>><No Vette Yet> wrote in message
. ..

>>> The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs
>>> off as you
>>> said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even
>>> touching my
>>> newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette,
>>> it will be
>>> the same way.
>>>
>>> And in case anyone asks, no I don't bring my cars to car
>>> washes ... in
>>> fact the last time I did was about 27 years ago and I
>>> almost lost my
>>> antenna (when they were a stand alone mast).

>>Spray does not sheet off, run off, yes, but do it your
>>way. No need to just try
>>it once and see what it does. Not to long ago I had a
>>black Seville, a black C5
>>and the black '72, when I washed all 3 on a warm day it
>>was easy to sheet the
>>water off and not get streaks. Oh, by the way, all I use
>>is Dawn dish soap.

> Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and
> possibly
> leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash
> product made
> for washing cars.

why?
because the car wash products advertising says so :-)
its written that way to sale car wash products made for
washing cars.

my2¢
--
"Key"
=====

Old December 13th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andy" > wrote in message

> Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and possibly
> leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash product made
> for washing cars.

Old wives tale, your chamois takes off as much wax as does Dawn soap. Been using
dish soap since the '60s and have seen no ill effects yet. As far as leaving a
residue, make up your mind, first it takes everything off including the wax and
then it leaves a residue? I have a picture of my Eldorado that I washed in Dawn
for 9 years and 118K miles that still looked new when I traded it in, waxed it
maybe 3 times. Use what makes you feel good, after this long I doubt I'll change
because it scared you.

Old December 13th 06, 11:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:59:37 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:18:40 -0600, No Vette Yet wrote:
>

>>>Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.
>>>

>>The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs off as you
>>said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even touching my
>>newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette, it will be
>>the same way.

>You use a slow stream of water (no connection on the end of the hose
>and the water just coming out) to get as much water off the car before
>you wipe it dry. The less beads of water on the car the faster you
>can dry it before the water dries on its own and you get the hard
>water spots. If you seem them happening, hit them with an instant
>detailer. If your real anal about it, get an inline filter for your
>hose.

For what it's worth, the vinegar breaks up the minerals in the hard
water and the Jetdry (used in dishwashers washing glasses to prevent
water streaks) makes the water more slippery.

That said, my way works FINE for me and after 3.5 years of observing
it, I won't change anything about it now BUT as Dad said, what ever
makes you happy, do that way instead.
Old December 13th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:50:15 GMT, "'Key" > wrote:

>"Andy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:13:50 -0500, "Dad"
>> > wrote:

>>>Spray does not sheet off, run off, yes, but do it your
>>>way. No need to just try
>>>it once and see what it does. Not to long ago I had a
>>>black Seville, a black C5
>>>and the black '72, when I washed all 3 on a warm day it
>>>was easy to sheet the
>>>water off and not get streaks. Oh, by the way, all I use
>>>is Dawn dish soap.

>> Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and
>> possibly
>> leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash
>> product made
>> for washing cars.

>why?
>because the car wash products advertising says so :-)
>its written that way to sale car wash products made for
>washing cars.
>
>my2¢

If you knew how the products worked you would soon change your way of
thinking.
Old December 13th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:41:27 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"Andy" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and possibly
>> leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash product made
>> for washing cars.

>Old wives tale, your chamois takes off as much wax as does Dawn soap. Been using
>dish soap since the '60s and have seen no ill effects yet. As far as leaving a
>residue, make up your mind, first it takes everything off including the wax and
>then it leaves a residue? I have a picture of my Eldorado that I washed in Dawn
>for 9 years and 118K miles that still looked new when I traded it in, waxed it
>maybe 3 times. Use what makes you feel good, after this long I doubt I'll change
>because it scared you.

Its not an old wifes tale. You shouldn't use a chamois either, you
should use terry cloth or microfiber towels to dry a car. Yes it
takes of everything then leaves a residue. You clearly don't have an
understanding of how dish soap works on automotive finsishes, but you
won't change because your too cheap.
Old December 13th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:50:15 GMT, "'Key" > wrote:
>
>>> Dawn Dish Soap... that's one way to take off the wax and
>>> possibly
>>> leave a nasty residue. You should always use a car wash
>>> product made
>>> for washing cars.

>>why?
>>because the car wash products advertising says so :-)
>>its written that way to sale car wash products made for
>>washing cars.
>>
>>my2¢

> If you knew how the products worked you would soon change your way of
> thinking.

One of the many things the company I worked for was to supply pumps to all sorts
of automotive operations. Mainly heavy mastics, paint, grease, oil, anti-freeze,
transmission fluid, paint fillers as powder, and materials in other industries
such as perfume, blood, guts, corn mash, acid, ink, resins, driveway sealers.
Among the specific product lines were OEM equipment suppliers for car wash
chains, about 12, and laundries for big hospitals, about 18. For me to spec and
build the pump or system that they bought and used, a fair knowledge of the
materials in the pump and what it was going to pump was mandatory.

I still have a list of all of those companies, about 220, so if you need to
check some of that out, let me know. Some that I was in, Softrol, Sun
Automation, Autech, Brite-O-Matic Mfg, Gin San, KO Inc., & Mark VII. WOW, was I
stupid, that file was created 7 years ago and very early in the morning, going
in early and working late got me an early retirement, actually that was a good
thing, don't miss it at all.

Let me know what I missed about how the products works so I can change my mind.

Old and grouchy,
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

PS: I've also been painting and restoring cars since 1956, learned some things
along the way but still finding out new things every day.

Old December 13th 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:09:46 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"Andy" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>why?
>>>because the car wash products advertising says so :-)
>>>its written that way to sale car wash products made for
>>>washing cars.
>>>
>>>my2¢

>> If you knew how the products worked you would soon change your way of
>> thinking.

>One of the many things the company I worked for was to supply pumps to all sorts
>of automotive operations. Mainly heavy mastics, paint, grease, oil, anti-freeze,
>transmission fluid, paint fillers as powder, and materials in other industries
>such as perfume, blood, guts, corn mash, acid, ink, resins, driveway sealers.
>Among the specific product lines were OEM equipment suppliers for car wash
>chains, about 12, and laundries for big hospitals, about 18. For me to spec and
>build the pump or system that they bought and used, a fair knowledge of the
>materials in the pump and what it was going to pump was mandatory.
>
>I still have a list of all of those companies, about 220, so if you need to
>check some of that out, let me know. Some that I was in, Softrol, Sun
>Automation, Autech, Brite-O-Matic Mfg, Gin San, KO Inc., & Mark VII. WOW, was I
>stupid, that file was created 7 years ago and very early in the morning, going
>in early and working late got me an early retirement, actually that was a good
>thing, don't miss it at all.
>
>Let me know what I missed about how the products works so I can change my mind.

So you built pumps... how does that apply to automotive finishes
applied to cars?
Old December 13th 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Andy" > wrote in message

> Its not an old wifes tale. You shouldn't use a chamois either, you
> should use terry cloth or microfiber towels to dry a car. Yes it
> takes of everything then leaves a residue. You clearly don't have an
> understanding of how dish soap works on automotive finsishes, but you
> won't change because your too cheap.

Didn't say I used a chamois, I said "your" chamois. Help me with my
"understanding" and use some facts please.

If you mean cheap as not spending money on needless items, I'm guilty.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51