My first used 4x4 (a B4000)... what should I check out?

Old March 9th 05, 08:50 PM

Default My first used 4x4 (a B4000)... what should I check out?

I just purchased my first 4x4, a used 2002 Mazda B4000 Ex-cab Automatic
4dr 4.0L V6. I got this at a decent price, the test drive was fine and
the CarFax report is clean, but the used car dealership has what I'd
call a less-than-respectable track record in terms of service. I got
the impression they deal quantity more than quality, so I want to err
on the safe side during my 60-day dealer warranty period.

My question is, what should I do first when I pick up this
truck--Should I take it right to a big Mazda dealership for a full
inspection, change of fluids, etc? For a vehicle like this that is out
of manufacturer warranty, does it need to be serviced at a Mazda
authorized dealership, or can I go to a family friend who owns a Ford
dealership? I know this truck is a Ranger under the skin, I just don't
know what rules the service places have to follow, or who can get what
parts.

Any advice for a new truck owner would be very welcome. I know what I
need this truck for, but I frankly don't know that much about
automobile service in general.

-Adam

Old March 10th 05, 05:17 AM
Jeff Olsen

I would just take it to a mechanic you know, like the family friend, and
have it checked out (probably should have done this before the purchase, but
oh well); it couldn't hurt to do all the fluids so that you know where you
stand with that, and then just see what they say. 4x4's are a little more
complicated than a "regular" vehicle but any decent shop should be able to
service it, especially for the normal stuff like tune-ups, belts, hoses,
etc.

SInce you would not trust the dealer you bought it from, and since they have
a vested interest in NOT finding anything, it makes no sense to take it to
them, that's for sure!

-jeff

in article ,

Old March 10th 05, 07:31 PM

Joseph and Jeff, thank you very much for your input. I realize I should
have checked the vehicle out a little more thoroughly before
purchasing, but I got in a nasty bind where I had an immediate vehicle
need, a high-pressure salesman and a nagging 3-year-old (mine) that
only made the salesman's job that much easier. I do intended to have
it fully inspected though, while my powertrain warranty is in effect.

Old March 10th 05, 07:39 PM
David

> wrote in message oups.com...
> ... but I got in a nasty bind where I had an immediate vehicle
> need, a high-pressure salesman and a nagging 3-year-old (mine) that
> only made the salesman's job that much easier. I do intended to have
> it fully inspected though, while my powertrain warranty is in effect.

Good luck with that. Last time I was under pressure to get a new vehicle
right away, I rented a car for a week to take the pressure off while I went
shopping.

Old March 12th 05, 08:08 PM
Linda Snead

Old March 14th 05, 12:50 AM
Cyberbilly

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> I just purchased my first 4x4, a used 2002 Mazda B4000 Ex-cab Automatic
> 4dr 4.0L V6. I got this at a decent price, the test drive was fine and
> the CarFax report is clean, but the used car dealership has what I'd
> call a less-than-respectable track record in terms of service. I got
> the impression they deal quantity more than quality, so I want to err
> on the safe side during my 60-day dealer warranty period.
>
> My question is, what should I do first when I pick up this
> truck

Try to get your money back.

Old March 14th 05, 04:08 AM
.boB

> I just purchased my first 4x4, a used 2002 Mazda B4000 Ex-cab Automatic
> 4dr 4.0L V6. I got this at a decent price, the test drive was fine and
> the CarFax report is clean, but the used car dealership has what I'd
> call a less-than-respectable track record in terms of service. I got
> the impression they deal quantity more than quality, so I want to err
> on the safe side during my 60-day dealer warranty period.
>
> My question is, what should I do first when I pick up this
> truck--Should I take it right to a big Mazda dealership for a full
> inspection, change of fluids, etc? For a vehicle like this that is out
> of manufacturer warranty, does it need to be serviced at a Mazda
> authorized dealership, or can I go to a family friend who owns a Ford
> dealership? I know this truck is a Ranger under the skin, I just don't
> know what rules the service places have to follow, or who can get what
> parts.
>
> Any advice for a new truck owner would be very welcome. I know what I
> need this truck for, but I frankly don't know that much about
> automobile service in general.
>
> -Adam

There are plenty of independant shops in almost
every town who will - for a fee - thoroughly inspect a
used vehicle. Whatever that fee, it's worth it. With
the data you get from them you can either make a better
deal or walk away, as you see fit. Do this before
giving the dealership a penny. Don't take their money
back promise at face value.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old March 21st 05, 12:11 AM

Joseph Myers wrote:
> Take it to a Mazda dealer and have it checked out and then take it to
> an independent shop that has a dyno and get an engine health check.
> Thats what I did on my last used one. JMTCW

Joseph, thank you for the advice. This is exactly what I did and the
truck was as good as it looks. The Quirk Mazda serivce guy commented
that it looked "barely even used" and the only memo on the "full
circle" safety inspection is a recommendation for replacing the rear
tires before fall.

It's home now! http://www.airraidsirens.com/posts/b4000.jpg

Thanks again,

Adam