Headlight deflectors

Old November 15th 04, 06:54 PM
estecman

Default Headlight deflectors

Hi all, does anybody know if there are Alfa 156 headlight deflectors for
driving in the UK, as I'm from mainland europe???

Or is there a way to adjust the lights under the bonnet for UK driving, as
cars like BMW etc have this setting???
Cheers

Old November 16th 04, 07:09 PM
Halmyre

estecman wrote:
> Hi all, does anybody know if there are Alfa 156 headlight deflectors for
> driving in the UK, as I'm from mainland europe???
>
> Or is there a way to adjust the lights under the bonnet for UK driving, as
> cars like BMW etc have this setting???
> Cheers

I think you can use the headlamp height adjuster on the dash - you just
set it to the highest setting.

Halmyre

Old November 16th 04, 09:16 PM
Glen Rolland

In article >, ess
says...
> estecman wrote:
> > Hi all, does anybody know if there are Alfa 156 headlight deflectors for
> > driving in the UK, as I'm from mainland europe???
> >
> > Or is there a way to adjust the lights under the bonnet for UK driving, as
> > cars like BMW etc have this setting???
> > Cheers
> >

> I think you can use the headlamp height adjuster on the dash - you just
> set it to the highest setting.
>
> Halmyre

I don't think this suggestion will work, the height adjuster simply
changes the angle of the headlight to compensate for the rear of the car
being lower when under a heavy load, without adjustment the beams would
point in a more upwards direction and not down onto the road surface.

The necessity for headlight deflectors when going between Britain and
the continent is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled due to
the different side of the road we drive on, British cars have their
headlights configured to point towards the left hand side of the road
(pavement side) which if unaltered would point straight at oncoming cars
when in Europe.

As a frequent cross channel traveller I bought a set of the perspex
Headlamp Protectors for my 156 GTA Sportwagon, these come with a number
of sets of adhesive headlamp deflectors (blockers in reality) and are
precisely marked as to where these fit. As mine were specified to fit a
Righthand drive vehicle I would suspect that they must sell a Lefthand
drive version.

The other bonus is that they obviously protect your headlamps from
getting pitted by stones.

Hopefully Alfa will eventually follow BMWs lead on adjustable headlamps
and a whole host of other clever features that my wife was telling me
will be standard on the Z4 she has just ordered such as headlamps that
sense when it is dark and automatically turn on the sidelights and then
go to dipped etc. as it gets darker.

Regards

Glen
Old November 16th 04, 09:31 PM
Tony Rickard

> Hopefully Alfa will eventually follow BMWs lead on adjustable headlamps
> and a whole host of other clever features that my wife was telling me
> will be standard on the Z4 she has just ordered such as headlamps that
> sense when it is dark and automatically turn on the sidelights and then
> go to dipped etc. as it gets darker.

I don't know, I was on a motorway in appalling conditions of rain and spray
and this "moron" suddenly came out of nowhere without lights on in the murk.
On popped his lights and I thought the penny had dropped, then off they
went, back on a few hundred yards later etc.

It was a range topping Merc, obviously with auto sensing lights. I know they
could be overidden but the more auto features you give people the less
likely they are to think they have a responsibility.

Old November 18th 04, 01:10 AM
Glen Rolland

In article > ,
says...
> > Hopefully Alfa will eventually follow BMWs lead on adjustable headlamps
> > and a whole host of other clever features that my wife was telling me
> > will be standard on the Z4 she has just ordered such as headlamps that
> > sense when it is dark and automatically turn on the sidelights and then
> > go to dipped etc. as it gets darker.

> I don't know, I was on a motorway in appalling conditions of rain and spray
> and this "moron" suddenly came out of nowhere without lights on in the murk.
> On popped his lights and I thought the penny had dropped, then off they
> went, back on a few hundred yards later etc.
>
> It was a range topping Merc, obviously with auto sensing lights. I know they
> could be overidden but the more auto features you give people the less
> likely they are to think they have a responsibility.

Good point, I have a similar problem with the automatic rain sensor on
my GTA, the first time I drove the car in heavy rain coming back up from
the euro tunnel on the M20 I put the windscreen wipers onto automatic
but soon switched back to manual after overtaking an articulated lorry
in the middle of which the wipers turned themselves off, momentarily
leaving me with zero visibility.

I keep experimenting with the sensor which appears to be slowly getting
more reliable though no where near trustworthy at other times a few dead
insects on the windscreen continually trigger the wipers.

Glen
Old November 19th 04, 10:40 PM

Glen Rolland > wrote in message ld.com>...
> In article >, ess
> says...
> > estecman wrote:
> > > Hi all, does anybody know if there are Alfa 156 headlight deflectors for
> > > driving in the UK, as I'm from mainland europe???
> > >
> > > Or is there a way to adjust the lights under the bonnet for UK driving, as
> > > cars like BMW etc have this setting???
> > > Cheers
> > >

> > I think you can use the headlamp height adjuster on the dash - you just
> > set it to the highest setting.
> >
> > Halmyre
> >

> I don't think this suggestion will work, the height adjuster simply
> changes the angle of the headlight to compensate for the rear of the car
> being lower when under a heavy load, without adjustment the beams would
> point in a more upwards direction and not down onto the road surface.
>
> The necessity for headlight deflectors when going between Britain and
> the continent is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled due to
> the different side of the road we drive on, British cars have their
> headlights configured to point towards the left hand side of the road
> (pavement side) which if unaltered would point straight at oncoming cars
> when in Europe.
>
> As a frequent cross channel traveller I bought a set of the perspex
> Headlamp Protectors for my 156 GTA Sportwagon, these come with a number
> of sets of adhesive headlamp deflectors (blockers in reality) and are
> precisely marked as to where these fit. As mine were specified to fit a
> Righthand drive vehicle I would suspect that they must sell a Lefthand
> drive version.

Hi Glen,
The perspex h/lamp protectors you bought, did you get them from a
dealer? and how much did they cost? I ask because I saw some to fit my
147 at a dealer but they could not give me a price as they had no
info. About right for a dealer I hear everyone say.
John, UK.

Old November 19th 04, 11:36 PM
Glen Rolland

In article >,= 20
says...
> Glen Rolland > wrote in message news:<MPG.1c04704e3e5=

> > In article >,
ess=
=20
> > says...

s for

ing, as
> > > I think you can use the headlamp height adjuster on the dash - you ju=

st=20
> > > set it to the highest setting.
> > >=20
> > > Halmyre
> > >=20
> > >=20

> > I don't think this suggestion will work, the height adjuster simply=20
> > changes the angle of the headlight to compensate for the rear of the ca=

r=20
> > being lower when under a heavy load, without adjustment the beams would=

=20
> > point in a more upwards direction and not down onto the road surface.
> >=20
> > The necessity for headlight deflectors when going between Britain and=

=20
> > the continent is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled due to=

=20
> > the different side of the road we drive on, British cars have their=20
> > headlights configured to point towards the left hand side of the road
> > (pavement side) which if unaltered would point straight at oncoming car=

s=20
> > when in Europe.
> >=20
> > As a frequent cross channel traveller I bought a set of the perspex=20
> > Headlamp Protectors for my 156 GTA Sportwagon, these come with a number=

=20
> > of sets of adhesive headlamp deflectors (blockers in reality) and are=

=20
> > precisely marked as to where these fit. As mine were specified to fit a=

=20
> > Righthand drive vehicle I would suspect that they must sell a Lefthand=

=20
> > drive version.
> >=20

> Hi Glen,
> The perspex h/lamp protectors you bought, did you get them from a
> dealer? and how much did they cost? I ask because I saw some to fit my
> 147 at a dealer but they could not give me a price as they had no
> info. About right for a dealer I hear everyone say.
> John, UK.
>=20

John

Yes I got mine from a dealer, I asked the salesman to order me a set=20
when I went to collect my new GTA at the beginning of October, sadly he=20
failed to order them or the umbrella and I then got the parts dept to=20
order them, though my attempt to do this over the phone failed and I had=20
to call in and show him the part in the Alfa Accessories brochure.

The ones for the 156 are =A347 whereas the ones you want for a 147 are=20
=A340.75 (Code 46002094).

Despite having placed the order 3 times for the Golf umbrella which I=20
wanted to keep in the boot, I still haven't got one.

It's a constant source of irritation that Alfa Romeo build such great=20
cars and yet have such appalling poor dealers.

Glen

Old November 20th 04, 08:22 AM
Catman

Glen Rolland wrote:

> In article > ,
> says...
>> Glen Rolland > wrote in message
>> ld.com>...
>> > In article >,
ess
>> > says...

>> > I don't think this suggestion will work, the height adjuster simply
>> > changes the angle of the headlight to compensate for the rear of the
>> > car being lower when under a heavy load, without adjustment the beams
>> > would point in a more upwards direction and not down onto the road
>> > surface.
>> >
>> > The necessity for headlight deflectors when going between Britain and
>> > the continent is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled due to
>> > the different side of the road we drive on, British cars have their
>> > headlights configured to point towards the left hand side of the road
>> > (pavement side) which if unaltered would point straight at oncoming
>> > cars when in Europe.
>> >
>> > As a frequent cross channel traveller I bought a set of the perspex
>> > Headlamp Protectors for my 156 GTA Sportwagon, these come with a number
>> > of sets of adhesive headlamp deflectors (blockers in reality) and are
>> > precisely marked as to where these fit. As mine were specified to fit a
>> > Righthand drive vehicle I would suspect that they must sell a Lefthand
>> > drive version.
>> >

>> Hi Glen,
>> The perspex h/lamp protectors you bought, did you get them from a
>> dealer? and how much did they cost? I ask because I saw some to fit my
>> 147 at a dealer but they could not give me a price as they had no
>> info. About right for a dealer I hear everyone say.
>> John, UK.
>>

> John
>
> Yes I got mine from a dealer, I asked the salesman to order me a set
> when I went to collect my new GTA at the beginning of October, sadly he
> failed to order them or the umbrella and I then got the parts dept to
> order them, though my attempt to do this over the phone failed and I had
> to call in and show him the part in the Alfa Accessories brochure.
>
> The ones for the 156 are £47 whereas the ones you want for a 147 are
> £40.75 (Code 46002094).
>
> Despite having placed the order 3 times for the Golf umbrella which I
> wanted to keep in the boot, I still haven't got one.
>
> It's a constant source of irritation that Alfa Romeo build such great
> cars and yet have such appalling poor dealers.

Give Mangoletsi a ring. Darren in parts is ace. Never let me down yet.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old November 26th 04, 11:10 AM

Catman > wrote in message >.. .
> Glen Rolland wrote:
>
> > In article > ,
> > says...
> >> Glen Rolland > wrote in message
> >> ld.com>...
ess

> >> Hi Glen,
> >> The perspex h/lamp protectors you bought, did you get them from a
> >> dealer? and how much did they cost? I ask because I saw some to fit my
> >> 147 at a dealer but they could not give me a price as they had no
> >> info. About right for a dealer I hear everyone say.
> >> John, UK.
> >>

> > John
> >
> > Yes I got mine from a dealer, I asked the salesman to order me a set
> > when I went to collect my new GTA at the beginning of October, sadly he
> > failed to order them or the umbrella and I then got the parts dept to
> > order them, though my attempt to do this over the phone failed and I had
> > to call in and show him the part in the Alfa Accessories brochure.
> >
> > The ones for the 156 are £47 whereas the ones you want for a 147 are
> > £40.75 (Code 46002094).
> >
> > Despite having placed the order 3 times for the Golf umbrella which I
> > wanted to keep in the boot, I still haven't got one.
> >
> > It's a constant source of irritation that Alfa Romeo build such great
> > cars and yet have such appalling poor dealers.

> Give Mangoletsi a ring. Darren in parts is ace. Never let me down yet.

Thanks Glen & Catman for your help and advice, it sounds a lot of
money but it is cheaper than buying a new headlamp when a stone
smashes it. Thanks again,
John,UK.