cowl shake

Old July 5th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Default cowl shake

will adding a spring tower-to-tower brace reduce the cowl shake on my
'06 GT convert? if so, should I get an aftermarket part, or the FoMoCo
part? (and if it makes a big difference, why the heck isn't it
standard).

I'm not talking about hard use here.....it's just a toy used for normal
driving (and 1300 miles in 2 1/2 years).......but the cowl shake is
annoying - hit a bump and you have to watch the windshield, dash &
fenders dancing. am also not amused since all the magazine reviews
crowed about the lack of cowl shake ...... in fact, the 5th covert I've
had and the only one where it is a problem.

comments/recommendations appreciated!

Old July 5th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Itsfrom Click" > wrote in message

> will adding a spring tower-to-tower brace reduce the cowl shake on my
> '06 GT convert? if so, should I get an aftermarket part, or the FoMoCo
> part? (and if it makes a big difference, why the heck isn't it
> standard).
>
> I'm not talking about hard use here.....it's just a toy used for normal
> driving (and 1300 miles in 2 1/2 years).......but the cowl shake is
> annoying - hit a bump and you have to watch the windshield, dash &
> fenders dancing. am also not amused since all the magazine reviews
> crowed about the lack of cowl shake ...... in fact, the 5th covert I've
> had and the only one where it is a problem.
>
> comments/recommendations appreciated!

Yes, absolutely, and it probably doesn't matter which brand you install. But
I wonder if there isn't more at play here.

Our original Princessmobile ('88 LX 4-banger) had A-pillars that waved with
every passing breeze. CFrog ('93 GT) is much more solid, but will still
respond to a hard jolt. I rented an '06 convertible that was absolutely
TIGHT, in comparison to the other two. No noticeable cowl shake in the three
days I drove it.

I'll join with those magazines. And I have to wonder if there's something
wrong with your own setup, other than just the lack of an aftermarket brace.

dwight

Old July 5th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

On Jul 5, 6:01*am, (Itsfrom Click) wrote:
> will adding a spring tower-to-tower brace reduce the cowl shake on my
> '06 GT convert? *if so, should I get an aftermarket part, or the FoMoCo
> part? *(and if it makes a big difference, why the heck isn't it
> standard).
>
> I'm *not talking about hard use here.....it's just a toy used for normal
> driving (and 1300 miles in *2 1/2 years).......but the cowl shake is
> annoying - hit a bump and you have to watch the windshield, dash &
> fenders dancing. *am also not amused since all the magazine reviews
> crowed about *the lack of cowl shake ...... in fact, the 5th covert I've
> had and the only one where it is a problem.
>
> comments/recommendations appreciated!

It's not going to really help the cowl shake much unless you find one
that ties into the firewall, and I don't believe there are any that do
that for the S197 Mustang. At best an STB helps in hard cornering. For
any other application it's a handy place to grab while working on the
motor . A set of welded subframe connectors would be better for
eliminating cowl shake but only a roll cage will truly fix the
problem .

But I'll echo what dwight observed: why is the shake so bad? The S197
chassis is stiffer than any of the previous Mustang chassis', and Ford
was particularly adamant that the 'verts were even more improved. My
'03 'vert had very little shake in stock trim and the '05+ cars I've
been in have been better than that.

Dan
P49Y83+
Old July 5th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

Thanks for the comments. I'm perplexed too: maybe it's the expectation
that there wouldn't be any cowl shake after all the hype. And, seems
worse with the top up than down, unlike other cars I've had. "Course,
although the suspension is stil mild, it's probably tighter than the V6.

Yes, my past cars had tower-to-cowl braces: doesn't look like a
bolt-in is possible with this body. I see braces from $60 to
$200......guess it won't hurt to put one on - and I'll have something to
lean on when detailing the engine!

BTW.......used to have one of those Continental 4 door
converts......beautiful car. Sort of scary when you put the top down
and opened all the doors and saw how little structure there was to it.
But never a shake, wiggle or rattle. But it weighed 5500 pounds!

Old July 5th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Edelbrock makes a 3-point for the S197;
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...mponents.shtml
it won't fit the V6, according to a tech support person the

"Thank you for your response, Chris.

I found the listing at AJUSA and supposed it was accurate:
http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/2...0/0/EDE%205223

Good thing I waited to order, eh?

Thanks again,

Frank S "

"Chris Rowe wrote:
> Frank,
> Our 5223 strut tower brace will not fit the V6 model.
>
> For all replies please include the ORIGINAL Email.
> Thanks - Chris Rowe, Edelbrock Tech Dept. "

I started with a BMR brace which made significant differences in
cowl-shake on a particularly rough section of street near here. I did
a before-after-before comparison, and it was clearly worth about 60%
reduction in the annoy factor; from "Omeingott is it going to come
apart", to barely tolerable.

My second bar is the Shelby eight-nuts model that is affixed to the
towers on all studs, four per tower, and "locks-on" to the wrinkle in
the tower-mounting surface.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.co...r%20Brace.aspx

I can't tesitfy as to the change in actual shake-reduction over the
same surface as the BMR because the City fixed the patch, but it
/seems/ tighter yet than the previous brace. It definitely weighs at
least twice what the single-bar four-nut version weighs. Previous
catalogs listed a 40-dollar cheaper version without the Shelby plate,
but I tried to order one and they said "not available".

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/...da797a6a_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/...cee48d0f_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/...2affcd36_o.jpg

All said and done, I believe the braces - any kind - are worth the
trouble on the convertible, but not so much on the coupe.

--
Frank ess

Old July 5th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

On Jul 5, 1:43*pm, "Frank ess" > wrote:
> Edelbrock makes a 3-point for the S197;http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...mponents.shtml
> it won't fit the V6, according to a tech support person the

Cool! I hadn't found this one yet. I'll put in my list . Thanks!

Dan
P49Y83+

Old July 5th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

On Jul 5, 8:42*am, (Itsfrom Click) wrote:
> Thanks for the comments. *I'm perplexed too: *maybe it's the expectation
> that there wouldn't be any cowl shake after all the hype. *And, seems
> worse with the top up than down, unlike other cars I've had. *"Course,
> although the suspension is stil mild, it's probably tighter than the V6.
>
> Yes, my *past cars had tower-to-cowl braces: *doesn't look like a
> bolt-in is possible with this body. *I see braces from $60 to
> $200......guess it won't hurt to put one on - and I'll have something to
> lean on when detailing the engine!
>
> BTW.......used to have one of those Continental 4 door
> converts......beautiful car. *Sort of scary when you put the top down
> and opened all the doors and saw how little structure there was to it.
> But never a shake, wiggle or rattle. *But it weighed 5500 pounds!

Just one more word from me, 'cause I didn't make the case as strong as
I wanted to . If all you are going to do is one mod, do the subframe
connectors. They *will* help. They are more of a pain because they
have to be welded (and you want the welded ones, not the bolt-ons) but
it's worth the extra effort. SFC's significantly improve the stiffness
of the car.

Then later, when you have some money for bling, get the STB .

Dan
P49Y83+
Old July 11th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Habib[_2_]

On Jul 5, 6:30 pm, Dan > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:42 am, (Itsfrom Click) wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the comments. I'm perplexed too: maybe it's the expectation
> > that there wouldn't be any cowl shake after all the hype. And, seems
> > worse with the top up than down, unlike other cars I've had. "Course,
> > although the suspension is stil mild, it's probably tighter than the V6.

> > Yes, my past cars had tower-to-cowl braces: doesn't look like a
> > bolt-in is possible with this body. I see braces from $60 to
> > $200......guess it won't hurt to put one on - and I'll have something to
> > lean on when detailing the engine!

> > BTW.......used to have one of those Continental 4 door
> > converts......beautiful car. Sort of scary when you put the top down
> > and opened all the doors and saw how little structure there was to it.
> > But never a shake, wiggle or rattle. But it weighed 5500 pounds!

> Just one more word from me, 'cause I didn't make the case as strong as
> I wanted to . If all you are going to do is one mod, do the subframe
> connectors. They *will* help. They are more of a pain because they
> have to be welded (and you want the welded ones, not the bolt-ons) but
> it's worth the extra effort. SFC's significantly improve the stiffness
> of the car.
>
> Then later, when you have some money for bling, get the STB .
>
> Dan
> P49Y83+

I did both the STB and SFC (both MM) within two weeks of each other on
my 2003 GT vert...

The STB tightened up the front end, made the cowl shake less
noticeable and basically gave the car a much more solid feel.
In fact, I could feel the difference just backing out the driveway.
Truthfully, I was quite surprised because many people claim the STB is
a waste, but on a vert I can say it makes a tremendous difference.
Maybe it's the MM that makes the difference because it mounts to the
firewall in 2 places and is one hell of a solid piece which requires
MANY bolts to install.

I've seen other STB with one wimpy connection on the firewall, in the
middle, and I doubt they will do as much.

As for the SFC, I got MM full lengths and they seem to effect the rear
of the car more.
You don't feel that sloppy feeling on turns anymore, but the
difference is more subtle than the STB which was a real surprise to
me.

For cowl shake test, just suction cup your radar detector/GPS to the
middle of the windshield and watch it dance away.
With the STB it is much less, still there, but better.
I can't say if this holds true for S197 though.

For SFC test jack your car up and notice the space between the doors
and the frame change.
All gone with the SFC installed.

Enjoy!
Steve
Old July 12th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Habib" > wrote in message

> The STB tightened up the front end, made the cowl shake less
> noticeable and basically gave the car a much more solid feel.
> In fact, I could feel the difference just backing out the driveway.
> Truthfully, I was quite surprised because many people claim the STB is
> a waste, but on a vert I can say it makes a tremendous difference.

I think I might have read one such comment, but I believe that most
convertible owners would feel the way I do - a strut tower brace is a
blessing. Together with the subframes, they should be mandatory on a
Mustang.

dwight

Old July 12th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_6_]

Habib wrote:

> For SFC test jack your car up and notice the space between the doors
> and the frame change.
> All gone with the SFC installed.
>
> Enjoy!
> Steve

That's not really very noticeable to me.
When I jack one rear wheel up the same side front comes up too. Then you
know it's getting tight.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces

5.0 Mustang Cowl Shake/strut brace/subframe connectors [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 August 12th 06 04:08 AM
Front End Shake thuhn10 Ford Explorer 5 January 29th 06 03:36 AM
5.2L Shake Shake Shake tubbco15 Chrysler 7 October 25th 05 12:14 AM