03/04 SVT Cobras duke it out... MM&FF

Old February 28th 05, 11:09 AM

Default 03/04 SVT Cobras duke it out... MM&FF

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/fe.../0503mm_shoot/

Thought some of you might find this interesting. I think it's f'ing awesome!
Boy what I'd do for a Sonic Blue '03 SVT Cobra =).

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old February 28th 05, 04:22 PM
Backyard Mechanic

opined in . com:

> http://musclemustangfastfords.com/fe.../0503mm_shoot/

Whew.. street mustangs in the 9's!!!!!

But I want someone to think about a statement where a guy tunes to nitrous
and anything else possible to get under 10 yet says:
"It will never have an automatic"

I assume he means, "so that I have the joy of shifting when I'm on the
street"
So... will he go to live axle?
Old February 28th 05, 04:37 PM
Wound Up

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/fe.../0503mm_shoot/

> Thought some of you might find this interesting. I think it's f'ing awesome!
> Boy what I'd do for a Sonic Blue '03 SVT Cobra =).

It was. And I'd love an '03 Cobra if I never had to pay for repairs. =)

Here's a quote from the 2nd-place finisher, who slammed out a 10.79,
demostrating what those in the know think of Old Iron:

"I'd like to put a C4, a live axle, and maybe a Kenne Bell or Whipple
on it and go nines," Jerry says.

Nines, after swapping out the T56 and the IRS for a 40+ year old back
half. Well, whaddya know about that?

> -Mike
>
> --
> A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
> Cold air intake
> FRPP 3.73 gears
> Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
> Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
> Hi-speed fan switch
> 255/60R-15 rear tires
> Subframe connectors
> Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 28th 05, 09:57 PM

Here is the link to some videos
http://musclemustangfastfords.com/0501mmff_videos/ in case you happened miss
it. Man... faaaast cars .

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake
FRPP 3.73 gears
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo)
Hi-speed fan switch
255/60R-15 rear tires
Subframe connectors
Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

. com...

Old March 1st 05, 05:18 AM
Chris Shea

heh, good point on the repairs -

if you notice just about every one of those cars have the 26 spline
shaft/clutch and upgraded axle shafts

not to mention that a few of the motors have already been rebuilt...

but yes they can be VERY fast cars - the article is just about the ones with
the irs and 6-spd. the ones with solid axles and autos i think run 9's, and
are streetable

on mine i want to ultimatley go solid axle and kenne bell - but it sure aint
gonna happen anytime soon tho, this machine is keeping me broke!!

chris
04 comp orange cobra vert

Old March 1st 05, 06:33 AM
Wound Up

Chris Shea wrote:
> heh, good point on the repairs -

I saw one in a showroom, and thought, "quite a car, but no f'ing way".

> if you notice just about every one of those cars have the 26 spline
> shaft/clutch and upgraded axle shafts

I did.. naturally, with that kind of yank, those upgrades are needed...

> not to mention that a few of the motors have already been rebuilt...
>
> but yes they can be VERY fast cars - the article is just about the ones with
> the irs and 6-spd. the ones with solid axles and autos i think run 9's, and
> are streetable

"C4" was what really grabbed me. I mean, not AOD, not C6. The same
damned C4 I had in my first '67 C-code. The lighter weight, smaller C4
sure can handle a lot when built for racing. Relatively cheap, a proven
design, and motors with a lot of area under the curve (like high-psi,
blown modulars) make three speeds adventageous with the right convertor.
The solid axle part in lieu of IRS interested me, too. "Which way is
progress, in this sport" type of thing...

> on mine i want to ultimatley go solid axle and kenne bell - but it sure aint
> gonna happen anytime soon tho, this machine is keeping me broke!!

They'll do that. For my street '67 I'm pondering a 4-bolt 302 with a
Paxton centrifugal. For that $, I should just drop in a nice cammed FE,
but I could do the blown wheezer in two "phases". Still got time. It's
gotta be very streetable regardless.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 1st 05, 07:32 PM
Rein

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:37:19 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:

wrote:
>> http://musclemustangfastfords.com/fe.../0503mm_shoot/
>>
>> Thought some of you might find this interesting. I think it's f'ing awesome!
>> Boy what I'd do for a Sonic Blue '03 SVT Cobra =).

>It was. And I'd love an '03 Cobra if I never had to pay for repairs. =)
>
>Here's a quote from the 2nd-place finisher, who slammed out a 10.79,
>demostrating what those in the know think of Old Iron:
>
> "I'd like to put a C4, a live axle, and maybe a Kenne Bell or Whipple
>on it and go nines," Jerry says.
>
>Nines, after swapping out the T56 and the IRS for a 40+ year old back
>half. Well, whaddya know about that?

You don't need much handling at the drags. Getting the power down and
keeping it in one piece is what it's all about.
Since mustangs usually drive on the street and actually DO make turns
once in a while, IRS is the better choice for handling.
(now, if they could come up with a GOOD IRS is another issue)

Old March 1st 05, 09:14 PM
Wound Up

wrote:

>>>http://musclemustangfastfords.com/fe.../0503mm_shoot/
>>>
>>>Thought some of you might find this interesting. I think it's f'ing awesome!
>>>Boy what I'd do for a Sonic Blue '03 SVT Cobra =).

>>It was. And I'd love an '03 Cobra if I never had to pay for repairs. =)
>>
>>Here's a quote from the 2nd-place finisher, who slammed out a 10.79,
>>demostrating what those in the know think of Old Iron:
>>
>> "I'd like to put a C4, a live axle, and maybe a Kenne Bell or Whipple
>>on it and go nines," Jerry says.
>>
>>Nines, after swapping out the T56 and the IRS for a 40+ year old back
>>half. Well, whaddya know about that?

> You don't need much handling at the drags. Getting the power down and
> keeping it in one piece is what it's all about.

It was just interesting to me that after all these years, the old design
is still such a desirable combo. I wouldn't have thought that. Of
course, I've never built a drag car.

> Since mustangs usually drive on the street and actually DO make turns
> once in a while, IRS is the better choice for handling.
> (now, if they could come up with a GOOD IRS is another issue)

Right... and the street cars are of course better suited for road
racing, which has been discussed in another thread.

A good IRS for street or strip use? Both? What's wrong with it?

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

mustang cobra's Defiant Ford Mustang 15 January 29th 05 02:45 AM
04 Mustang Cobras at the drags Big Al Ford Mustang 8 December 16th 04 06:57 PM