Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

Old December 4th 17, 02:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>

How do we debug a scratchy sound?
We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

But is it the speaker?
Or something else?

If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get
speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
is each unique?

I'm helping the neighbor's kid refurbish a beat-up 2005 Camry where I
helped her kid put in new speaker covers this weekend but the scratch sound
persisted (we thought it might have been the crud or vibration from the
crumbling melted-in covers).

The scratchy sound persisted even with the newly replaced covers.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers2.jpg>

Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?
Old December 4th 17, 03:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

harry newton > wrote:
>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>
>How do we debug a scratchy sound?
>We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.
>
>But is it the speaker?
>Or something else?

You can swap the speaker for the one from the other side. But "scratchy"
sounds are apt to be rubbing voice coils which you can feel by pressing
on the cone with your thumbs.

>If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get
>speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
>is each unique?

There are several standard sizes. You can buy cheap replacement speakers
from chain auto parts stores. You can buy the same speakers for half as
much from Parts Express but then pay postage on them.
--scott
Old December 4th 17, 05:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton > wrote:

>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>
>How do we debug a scratchy sound?
>We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

>But is it the speaker?

Yes.

>Or something else?

No.

>If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers?

>speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
>is each unique?

Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

I recommend them highly despite that they did make a mistake, like other
vendors do, wrt the inputs on my 2005 Solara radio. This is the E7001
radio, but I don't think E7002 is any different. These are both
Navigation radios that only hold one CD, and with some such radio, if
you press the CD button twice, it goes to the CD deck, and it does have
a jack for a CD deck (or satellite) and they sell devices that will use
such a jack for USB/AUX input. Well that doesn't work on these radios,
but they took my word for it, sent me a paid-mailing label, I sent it
back as if it were new, dropped it off at a UPS place, and I got my
refund the next day.

I've also bought speakers from them more than once in the past. No one
else has a better list of cars and their dimensions.

You SHOULD NOT MESS with dash speakers. There was a recall on
dashboards from that year and a couple others, on the Solara but I'm
pretty sure on the Camry too, and some of them have deteriorated so bad
they replaced the dash for free. My dash has a few hairline cracks,
but when I tried to lift the 3 digital gauges above the center AC
outlets, I put a tiny nick in the dash, behind the gauges. Plainly my
dash, also a 2005, is softer than when it was made. (But I'm prettty
sure it's nowhere near bad enough to get them to replace it for free,
plus the recall has expired anyhow.) I had to go at the gauges from
another direction and I did get them up, to reach the radio bolts and
remove the radio (long enough to unplug that device above that didn't
work. I had been able to plug it in from the bottom without removing
the radio.) So there is a tiny nick there

Since you refer to the deck, I assume this is really a Camry and not a
Solara, which some people call a Camry Solara. And that it's a sedan
and not a convertible, because the convertibles also have a woofer
behind the rear seat. I don't think it's even mentioned in the owners
manual or anywhere but the wiring diagram, but it's there.

>I'm helping the neighbor's kid refurbish a beat-up 2005 Camry where I
>helped her kid put in new speaker covers this weekend but the scratch sound
>persisted (we thought it might have been the crud or vibration from the
>crumbling melted-in covers).

For crud, I would have washed the covers in the dishwasher. It does a
great job on things like this.

>The scratchy sound persisted even with the newly replaced covers.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers2.jpg>
>
>Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
>If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?

Yes, but there are lots of sizes, especially when you consider depth.

Old December 4th 17, 06:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Iggy

replying to harry newton, Iggy wrote:
Nice work on the grills! Yeah, the scratchiness is from either a separated
coil or torn cone, you'll need replacement...of both while the car is finally
apart, what an "engineering" mess. Auto Parts stores, Junkyards and most
anywhere pertinent online from Walmart to Crutchfield (
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VDtdeTrOHie/ ). Crutchfield's a long time car
audio site (who's now expanded) with very good customer service. They can help
you replace or upgrade both rears, even saving you the measuring to tell you
the size for the specific car. I prefer the polymer or plastic cone speakers,
much richer sound. Manufacturer speakers are usually pretty good, so don't
commit to cheapies without hearing them in the car first.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1152165-.htm

Old December 4th 17, 08:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:

>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>
>How do we debug a scratchy sound?
>We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.
>
>But is it the speaker?
>Or something else?
>
>If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get
>speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
>is each unique?
>
>I'm helping the neighbor's kid refurbish a beat-up 2005 Camry where I
>helped her kid put in new speaker covers this weekend but the scratch sound
>persisted (we thought it might have been the crud or vibration from the
>crumbling melted-in covers).
>
>The scratchy sound persisted even with the newly replaced covers.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers2.jpg>
>
>Any suggestion on how to debug the cause of the scratchiness?
>If it's the speakers themselves, are these things standard sizes nowadays?

Not "standard size" - they are often even different from mdel to
madel in a brand, or year to yrear in a model.

Try scrapyard? Otherwise dealer is best bet. There are kits to put
"standard" speakers in, but they are not terribly satisfactpry. O have
installed non-OEM speakers by making adapter plates - basically not
worth the hassle.
Old December 4th 17, 08:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 11:35:37 -0500, micky >
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry
>newton > wrote:
>
>>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
>><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>>
>>How do we debug a scratchy sound?
>>We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

>Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
>balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
>one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
>will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.
>>
>>But is it the speaker?

>Yes.
>
>>Or something else?

>No.
>
>>If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

>The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers? ;;

WEhy is it a terrible place"? -0 and of course they sell speakers.
The right ones, that bolt in properly, even. Yes, they cost abit more
than the ones that don't fit.

>>speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
>>is each unique?

>Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
>people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
>something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

They will likely have "universal" speakers and adapter brackets -
which usually work OK - - - - -

Old December 4th 17, 09:33 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:

>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>
>How do we debug a scratchy sound?

I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
the "scratchy sound" increase?

Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?
Old December 4th 17, 09:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton

He who is Clare Snyder said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:39:10 -0500:

> Not "standard size" - they are often even different from mdel to
> madel in a brand, or year to yrear in a model.

Thanks for all the advice - I haven't touched speakers in decades!

I like the ideas of:
a. Testing with a separate speaker (if I can find one)
b. Testing by jumping the wires (shouldn't be too hard).

At this point, I'm trying to figure out what size fits.

Here is a picture of the topside of the speaker when we replaced the grill:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker5.jpg>

Here is the bottom underside in the trunk:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6.jpg>

The kid is at college so she only comes home to the neighbor sporadically
so I'm just lining up my ducks now.

Looking at the advice to call Crutchfield, they seem to be good and bad.
They were very helpful. 1.844.298.3430 About $50 for two speakers.

The problem is *every* speaker they have for the 2005 Camry doesn't fit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/Al...p=105&l=E&pg=1

The guy was helpful and said I had to make my own bracket. Huh? Why can't
it just bolt in? (I'm glad I asked because I didn't expect that.)

Amazingly, they have 200 speakers they say that fit, of three sizes:
5-1/4, 6-1/2, and 6x9 (I didn't think to measure it unforutnately)

I don't have the car in hand, but apparently there are three types:
a. With navigation (she doesn't have it)
b. With JBL audio system (I'll have to ask - probably not)
c. Without both of those (this is probably what they have)

I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

I just can't pay that. Even for a nice neighbor's kid.
It's just too much.

Since Camelback Toyota in Arizona usually has the best prices, I called
them and they told me, from the VIN, that the radio is a "Fujitsu 10" and
the speaker part number is 86160-AA450, they sell for half that price, at
$300 for the set.
https://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota...er-86160aa450/

It's back to Crutchfield I go!
Old December 4th 17, 09:56 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton

He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:33:32 -0800:

> I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
> the "scratchy sound" increase?
>
> Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
> wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?

That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.

When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

What I'll do is:
a. Try to find a test speaker of about 20 watts
b. Make a set of jumper wires to jump one side to the other
c. Wiggle the wires to see if the speaker or the radio is bad

Incidentally, after ripping out the interior in the back, the new grills
from the Toyota dealer went in easily after drilling out the old
heat-melted posts.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker1.jpg>

The dealer parts came with these round metal clips to fasten the posts:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker10.jpg>

We originally thought the noise was because the grill was destroyed:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker3.jpg>

I think the new speakers will have to come out through the top:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6d52eb.jpg>
Old December 4th 17, 11:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:44:17 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:

>I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
>their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
>so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

You can find a Pioneer 6x9 speaker for a better price than that,
surely. If it fits the OEM -- why not?