Changing 98 Chevy Truck alternator. Need help

Old December 30th 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Changing 98 Chevy Truck alternator. Need help

Could someone please assist me in changing my 98 chevy pick-up alternator.
I have done once before, but someone assisted me. Basically, I need to
know how to bring the pulley back, so I can remove the belt, then the
alternator..Thank you for your time..Please email me at

Old December 30th 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I live in the rust belt where changing a fan belt can be serious trouble
due to seized parts that snap so I have tried a different way of
changing things like alternators and waterpumps.

I figure the belt is now adjusted unless someone has recently messed
with it. If they have, then the adjustment will be suspect and easy to
loosen anyway so I take the long route.

I figure I don't need to mess with the adjustment otherwise so I just
unbolt the alternator carefully. The alternator will come loose and
move taking it's pulley with it. I then tuck the new one back in and
tighten it up.

It's been a long time since I had to touch the belt adjusters....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old February 10th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Wally, I think there is a 1/2 inch square hole in the base of the idler
tensioner pulley. Using a ratchet of the correct size, rotate this pulley
and this will remove tension from the belt so you can change the belt. Hope
this helps, Bill.