84 bronco ii ignition wiring harness problems

Old February 7th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 84 bronco ii ignition wiring harness problems

hello everybody,

ok heres the deal i have an 84 model bronco ii
with the 2.8 carbureted motor, i recently had to put in a new master
cylinder and slave cylinder, then came across the problem that with the
better pressure that my old hydraulic line was worn out so after days
of salvage yard scrounging i found a good line, well i guess i did not
pay enough attention to the line and it was against the manifold and
melted into the manifold, luckily this happend right in front of a
parts store, i was able to get an air coupler for an air brake and put
the line back together and get it sealed really good, that is when the
real problem happened, somewhere in the process of fixing the line my
wife was listening to the radio and apparently i unplugged something it
quit playing so i noticed that i unplugged the charging wire so i
hooked it back up, still nothing, i tried to start the bronco, nothing,
pulled on the headlights, nothing, so i got a light tester and tested
the battery, the solenoid, and the coil wires, the tach wire and the
hot wire, no fire at all, to the coil with the switch on, i could not
get power through the solenoid and with my past experience with fords
you can check the solenoid by jumping it, it worked fine the motor
turned fine, but it would not start, so i hade my wife jump the
solenoid while i pushed the sharp end of the test light into the coil
wire, no fire, also did this same thing on the distributor, now if it
was the solenoid the head lights and such should still work or at least
that has always been the case for me, i get fire to the solenoid but
nothing on the other side, so that says solenoid but as i said before i
tested that, i cannot for the life of me figgure it out, if there is
anybody out there that can help please do, thanks to all.

daryl

Old February 7th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I would guess you broke the ground strap to the body of the vehicle.

If the body ground broke, the solenoid won't work, the radio won't work,
the ignition module won't work, etc...

The ground will either be a wire mesh cable from the engine to the
firewall or a cable from the battery negative to the fender or to the
engine block.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

well i got that problem fixed and ran into another, it turned out to be
the main hot going into the switch, the connector was burned up, now
the next problem i ran into was the brakes are shot to bits, so i
checked all the pads, none were worn, no leaky wheel cylinders or
nothing, so i checked the calipers by pressing the brake to see if they
were working, nothing, master cylinder right, so i went and got a new
master cylinder, well that gave me more brake and got the calipers
working, so i troied them out, i drove it to the end of the street and
back, the problem is that they go all the way to the floor and still
dont stop you very well it takes a good hundred feet or so to stop you
from about 25 or 30 feet, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
thanks again, daryl